Post your latest Purchase

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Post what you purchased.

I just noticed this thread today so I am posting my opinion about four things I have purchased till date.

1. LaCie 250GB hard drive
This is an excellent drive. It has all three modes of connectivity - USB, FireWire 400 and 800. However, it does not support connecting in a daisy chain (one hard drive connected to another).
I have not tested it formally but in general, the performance is scorching fast when using FireWire 800. The design is good and it allows both horizontal and vertical placement. It is generally silent but tends to get hot after about an hour of continuous usage. The price, of Rs. 8,000 (when I purchased it ten months ago), was on a tad higher side though, so drives from Maxtor or Seagate might be better options.

Final thoughts: Recommended.

2. Nokia 6300
Let me get it out of the way first, this phone sucks. At Rs. 9,000, a 2MP camera, 240x320 16m colour screen, EDGE, FM Radio, slimmest Nokia phone etc. sounds like a really good deal but it is after you purchase it that you realise the flaws of the device, which are numerous. The battery life is awful, the phone becomes warm after about five minutes of usage, does not allow third party applications apart from crappy JAVA stuff, is extremely scratch prone, has a non-conventional 2.5mm audio out, awful camera without flash, non-intuitive user interface, tiny useless speakers, terribly designed D-pad and rocker switch, feels heavy and unbalanced, does not charge when connected via USB and comes with very uncomfortable, finicky earphones.
Now for the pros, few though they are. The screen is exceptionally good (probably the best after Nokia N95 and the iPhone), it is very slim, charging, earphones and USB ports are separate, has a very short startup time, shows a very useful menu when you connect to a computer via USB, has a good music player and the remote on the earphones allows easy control over the radio or music player.

Final thoughts: Not recommended.

3. Philips in-ear earphones
Awesome stuff. I bought it from Music World for Rs. 650 and they are just awesome. Plug right into the ears, stick comfortably, don't fall off, cancel noise and have awesome sound quality. The wire is also quite lengthy. The only drawback I can think of is that it does not have a remote for controlling the volume, but I don't think any earphones feature that.

4. Apple 17" MacBook Pro (2.16GHz Core Duo)
This is probably the best notebook in the world and most definitely the best purchase I've ever made.

Pros:
Mac OS X
MagSafe power adapter, already saved my notebook a lot of times
Innovative wire design allows you to use it short or lengthen it
Great screen with spectacularly wide viewing angle and is very bright
Light sensors automatically control the brightness of the screen and the keyboard backlight
Very good keyboard with backlit keys
Definitely the best trackpad on any notebook ever (allows using two fingers for 360º scrolling and as the secondary click)
Integrated camera and mic work just fine
Can run all operating systems
Allows easy swapping of RAM modules
Wi-fi, Bluetooth, Ethernet - it has everything
FireWire 400 and 800 is a Godsend
Battery indicator shows the charge even when powered off
Very good remote
Exceptional design, aesthetics and build quality
Thinnest and lightest in its class
All aluminium, rugged body
Sudden motion sensors detect when the laptop falls and protect the hard drive
No stickers

Cons:
Heat is an issue
At a price well over 1 Lac, this is one pricey notebook
Slot loading DVD drive looks sexy and helps trim the fat, but it is trouble if a disc gets stuck (this is, however, only a theoretical issue because so far, I haven't had any problems with it)
No PCMCIA slot (though it does have the more advanced ExpressCard slot)
No place for stowing the remote
Attracts dust (but is easy to clean)

Final thoughts: Highly recommended.

I hope this helped! I'm buying a digital camera in a few days and will post a review when I do. :)

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE

aryayush said:
I just noticed this thread today so I am posting my opinion about four things I have purchased till date.

1. LaCie 250GB hard drive
This is an excellent drive. It has all three modes of connectivity - USB, FireWire 400 and 800. However, it does not support connecting in a daisy chain (one hard drive connected to another).
I have not tested it formally but in general, the performance is scorching fast when using FireWire 800. The design is good and it allows both horizontal and vertical placement. It is generally silent but tends to get hot after about an hour of continuous usage. The price, of Rs. 8,000 (when I purchased it ten months ago), was on a tad higher side though, so drives from Maxtor or Seagate might be better options.

2. Nokia 6300
Let me get it out of the way first, this phone sucks. At Rs. 9,000, a 2MP camera, 240x320 16m colour screen, EDGE, FM Radio, slimmest Nokia phone etc. sounds like a really good deal but it is after you purchase it that you realise the flaws of the device, which are numerous. The battery life is awful, the phone becomes warm after about five minutes of usage, does not allow third party applications apart from crappy JAVA stuff, is extremely scratch prone, has a non-conventional 2.5mm audio out, awful camera without flash, non-intuitive user interface, tiny useless speakers, terribly designed D-pad and rocker switch, feels heavy and unbalanced, does not charge when connected via USB and comes with very uncomfortable, finicky earphones.
Now for the pros, few though they are. The screen is exceptionally good (probably the best after Nokia N95 and the iPhone), it is very slim, charging, earphones and USB ports are separate, has a very short startup time, shows a very useful menu when you connect to a computer via USB, has a good music player and the remote on the earphones allows easy control over the radio or music player.

Final thoughts: Not recommended.

3. Philips in-ear earphones
Awesome stuff. I bought it from Music World for Rs. 650 and they are just awesome. Plug right into the ears, stick comfortably, don't fall off, cancel noise and have awesome sound quality. The wire is also quite lengthy. The only drawback I can think of is that it does not have a remote for controlling the volume, but I don't think any earphones feature that.

4. Apple 17" MacBook Pro (2.16GHz Core Duo)
This is probably the best notebook in the world and most definitely the best purchase I've ever made.

Pros:
Mac OS X
MagSafe power adapter, already saved my notebook a lot of times
Innovative wire design allows you to use it short or lengthen it
Great screen with spectacularly wide viewing angle and is very bright
Light sensors automatically control the brightness of the screen and the keyboard backlight
Very good keyboard with backlit keys
Definitely the best trackpad on any notebook ever (allows using two fingers for 360º scrolling and as the secondary click)
Integrated camera and mic work just fine
Can run all operating systems
Allows easy swapping of RAM modules
Wi-fi, Bluetooth, Ethernet - it has everything
FireWire 400 and 800 is a Godsend
Battery indicator shows the charge even when powered off
Very good remote
Exceptional design, aesthetics and build quality
Thinnest and lightest in its class
All aluminium, rugged body
Sudden motion sensors detect when the laptop falls and protect the hard drive
No stickers

Cons:
Heat is an issue
At a price well over 1 Lac, this is one pricey notebook
Slot loading DVD drive looks sexy and helps trim the fat, but it is trouble if a disc gets stuck (this is, however, only a theoretical issue because so far, I haven't had any problems with it)
No PCMCIA slot (though it does have the more advanced ExpressCard slot)
No place for stowing the remote
Attracts dust (but is easy to clean)

Final thoughts: Highly recommended.

I hope this helped! I'm buying a digital camera in a few days and will post a review when I do. :)
Sweet stuff dude!Will wait to see the camera review.Wanna buy a DigiCam (SONY Cybershot preffered).
Good Job!

Kniwor said:
Got the following from SMC today

E6750 @ 8750/-

cannot test the processor as I dont have any high end ram in my hand at the moment, awaiting my G.Skill's, and 8800GTS to arrive.

Also, a few days back I got Logitech MX518 for 1600/- shipped from a GO. The mouse simply rocks.
Congrats Bro!
Buzz some OC results!!!
And a good thing that someone has also bought from New Delhi otherwise all i can see is Kolkata , B'lore...sometimes Mumbai. Where are u Delhi proud???

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Thanks! :)

I already know which camera I am going to buy.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3

*images.panasonic.com/static/models/dmc-tz3a.jpg
  • 7.2 million effective pixel / 8.5 million pixels total 1/2.35" CCD
  • 10x (28-280mm equiv.) Leica DC Vario-Elmarit optical zoom
  • MEGA OIS image stabilization
  • Larger sensor for 28mm equiv. angle of view at 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 aspect ratios
  • Venus III Engine processor
  • Fast Linear autofocus system
  • High Resolution (230,000 pixel) 3.0-inch LCD
  • Movies up to 840 x 480 pixels (WVGA) @ 30 fps
  • 20 scene modes plus Intelligent ISO mode

Official webpage: *panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/tz3_2/index.html

So this is the one I'll be reviewing.

If you want reviews for Sony Cybershots, you can check out *www.photographyblog.com/. :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Please don't faint! Grip the edge of the table if you feel nauseous.

It costs Rs. 12,000. :D

clmlbx

Technomancer

microsoft keyboard = RS 550

zebronics ps2 mouse = RS 160

keyboard purchased 2 months ago and mouse purchased 2 days before .

janitha

Wise Old Owl

aryayush said:
Please don't faint! Grip the edge of the table if you feel nauseous.

It costs Rs. 12,000. :D

For a camera with Leica lens, OIS, 10X zoom, 3" LCD, 7 MP etc., 12K seems fine, especially if it comes with bill and warranty which is not likely at such a low price. (no need to hold the table)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Just fine? Dude, it is a steal! Even at Rs. 15,000, it would be an exceptionally good deal.

And yes, it comes with the bill and warranty.

For the sake of full disclosure, I am also letting you in on the fact that this camera is not yet available in India and when it will be, it will be priced somewhere close to Rs. 25,000.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

No, my sister lives in the USA (and therefore has access to lots of wonderful things, not the least of which is the iPhone) and she is coming here tomorrow. I've asked her to fetch me the camera and a Kingston 8GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Card. Total cost: Rs. 16,000. Approximate total cost if bought in India: Rs. 34,000. You see the difference? :D

janitha

Wise Old Owl

@aryayush
What I understood by your asking not to faint was that you meant the price is high.

gannu_rox

In the zone

Well... Finally ordered these frm PRIME...

1. Intel C2D E6850- 13k

2. Asus P5K DELUXE Wi-Fi- 14.6k

3. Seagate 250GB HDD (16MB buffer)- 2950

4. Sony SATA DVD Burner- AW-G170S- 1900

5. Corsair HX 620w PSU- 7200

6. Logitech MX518- 1400

7. Logitech MM KB - 450

Les see hw it fairs with my XFX 8800GTX n TRU-120 n CM Cavalier........

Awaitin stuffs within a week..

Chao ppl...

PS: RAM-Not decided yet.. Maybe the Reaper frm OCZ.. Els The Titaniums...

Tot Damage.... 94106 (Inc of the DELL SE198WFP, the EP630, 1 Antec 120mm Trilite, 2 Antec 80mm red, 3 Glacialtechs 120mm quad-lite n blahs... + Funky's import frm Sidewinders worth 756 AND EXCLUSIVE OF the OCZ RAM BTW!!!!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

royal

Padawan

Can anybody state whats the going price for a 4GB SONY Memory Stick Pro DUO in Kolkata ? No gray market prices please...;)

Sumit Kumar

Right off the assembly line

Brought
Intel C2D 6320 - Rs.7600
Intel G965 RY MOBO - Rs.5700
Transcend 1 GB DDR2 RAM @667Mhz - Rs.2000
ViewSonic VA1903wm - Rs.10500
Zebronics Lava Cabinet with 400w PSU - Rs.1500
A dial up Modem

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting

^^^^

Ahhhh !!!

:(

A C2D is really waste of money when u guys buy Intel 965 Boards !!! as if u plan a office system, there no need to buy E6320, there E2140 is more than enough,

when u buy E6320, in that same price u may get E6550 :( along with XFX 650i Rs. 5000/- + TAX and one 8400 GS Rs. 2800/- + TAX

also, Intel DG965RY is Rs. 5700/- which u paid, where as far better Intel DG33BU is Rs. 5000/- + TAX

!!!

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz

ordered a Sennheiser RS 140 wireless headset from amazon.hope to get withinin 20th instant:).

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental

Got the following for a cousin's rig yesterday without much bargaining:

Intel Original DG965RY Rs. 4850
C2D E4400 Rs. 5100
Altec Lansing 121 (2.1) Rs.1100
Seagate Barracuda 250 GB SATA II 7200.10 Rs.2800
LG DVD RW Rs. 1350
Viewsonic 19" TFT Rs. 9100
Logitech Keyboard Mouse Combo Rs. 700
Microtek UPS Rs.1750
Kingston 1GB DDR2 667 Rs.2000
Zebronics LAVA ATX + Stock 400W PSU Rs.1450

The above system is not intended for OCing and is for general usage by a noob.

Got myself a TVS Gold Keyboard for Rs. 1150

All prices inclusive of VAT.

Top Bottom