Post your latest Purchase

I am holding a Rubics Cube in my hand for the first time in my life :p

Bought it for Rs.20/-

Yes , it is made in China :p
ATTACH]
For the first time? Big moment of your like, enjoy.

I am holding a Rubics Cube in my hand for the first time in my life :p

Bought it for Rs.20/-

Yes , it is made in China :p
ATTACH]
For the first time? Big moment of your like, enjoy.

ajayritik

Technomancer
If you want the best, then Sanyo Eneloop or Sony Cycle Energy (rebranded Eneloops) would be your best choice.

As for charger, do not use the free Sanyo charger or any other crap charger that charges batteries in pair. Always buy chargers with independent charging slots if you want to maximize battery's longevity. I am using the Sony BCG34HLD2KN charger from Flipkart which has a proven good track record. There's a more expensive model too from Sony with the refresh function and separate LED indicators for each slot.
I'm not clear about your suggestions for the charger. I have one Sanyo Charger with batteries but off late I see they draining out very soon. Will appreciate more inputs on the charger.
Tenida, just search on google on how to differentiate between fake & real eneloop batteries before placing the order, to be on the safer side. for camera, you've chosen one of the best batteries. but for toys, i don't think there's much need to spend on eneloops for ajay ;)
Man some of the toys really drain the batteries like anything and anyways I have Digital camera as well so can use it for that as well.
That's the same charger I'm using. Its absolutely safe to use with any NiMH LSD batteries and infact one of the best NiMH chargers you can find in the Indian market where most other chargers sold are dumb timer based chargers that often charge in pairs and should be avoided at all costs.

The Eneloops sold at HS18 are good. They are the new XX variety from Sanyo with higher capacity but with lower number of cycles (only 500 as opposed to the regular 1500).

@GhorMaanas - Why not for toys? If they are medium to high power drain toys, NiMH is the way to go. If its only for extremely low drain toys, then better to go with alkaline as you won't be able to recuperate the investment. I use Eneloops in my flashlight and within a year they have already paid for themselves twice over given the number of times I have recharged them.
Agree with you here about using these batteries for Toys.

Now that I'm clear with which batteries to buy need to figure out if I need to buy a charger and also how to find out fake batteries from real one.

nginx

In the zone
Now that I'm clear with which batteries to buy need to figure out if I need to buy a charger and also how to find out fake batteries from real one.

You need to answer three questions:

1) Is your charger a dumb timer based charger? (These kinds of chargers will charge your batteries for a fixed amount of time irrespective of their charge level. They are very prone to overcharging cells and/or feeding trickle charge for too long which negatively impacts cell life.)
2) Does your charger charge batteries only in pairs? (This is not recommended as one cell is bound to finish charging first and will get overcharged while the second cell charges.)
3) Is your charger a rapid 15 or 30 min charger? (These chargers charge cells with very high current, around 2-4A whereas the recommended charge current is 0.5-1C. High current significantly shortens cells lifespan.)

If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then you need a new charger because crap charger is one of the biggest reasons why NiMH batteries don't last. NiMH batteries can even last 10 years if used properly and the charger is a good one.

Last edited:

ajayritik

Technomancer
You need to answer three questions:

1) Is your charger a dumb timer based charger? (These kinds of chargers will charge your batteries for a fixed amount of time irrespective of their charge level. They are very prone to overcharging cells and/or feeding trickle charge for too long which negatively impacts cell life.)
2) Does your charger charge batteries only in pairs? (This is not recommended as one cell is bound to finish charging first and will get overcharged while the second cell charges.)
3) Is your charger a rapid 15 or 30 min charger? (These chargers charge cells with very high current, around 2-4A whereas the recommended charge current is 0.5-1C. High current significantly shortens cells lifespan.)

If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then you need a new charger because crap charger is one of the biggest reasons why NiMH batteries don't last. NiMH batteries can even last 10 years if used properly and the charger is a good one.

This is what I have with me.

*img705.imageshack.us/img705/9676/20130321013133.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

*img803.imageshack.us/img803/7885/20130321013247.jpg

*img829.imageshack.us/img829/2680/20130321013243.jpg

Last edited:

nginx

In the zone
@ajayritik - That is the standard stock Sanyo charger included with many 2 or 4 cell eneloop packs. It's a dumb charger that charges in pairs. You need a new charger. I suggest you buy either one of these chargers:

Sony BCG-34HLD2KN Power Charger AA x 2 pcs Multi-Use Premium Batteries

Sony BCG-34HRE4KN Refresh Charger & 4-pc AA Multi-Use (2100mAh) Premium Batterie | eBay

If you know any local stores that cell NiMH chargers, you can look there too, you might get cheaper deals for these models.

Last edited:

ajayritik

Technomancer
@ajayritik - That is the standard stock Sanyo charger included with many 2 or 4 cell eneloop packs. It's a dumb charger that charges in pairs. You need a new charger. I suggest you buy either one of these chargers:

Sony BCG-34HLD2KN Power Charger AA x 2 pcs Multi-Use Premium Batteries

Sony BCG-34HRE4KN Refresh Charger & 4-pc AA Multi-Use (2100mAh) Premium Batterie | eBay

If you know any local stores that cell NiMH chargers, you can look there too, you might get cheaper deals for these models.
Thanks Buddy! Appreciate it.
I have read in couple of forums that need to be careful with fake ones available. So little apprehensive whether I should go for online or buy from a store. Also since little short on money can I use this current Charger I have and buy those Sanyo Eneloop Batteries?

Guys I'm once again extremely sorry to put this question here. If I have insufficient power ports from SMPS available for SATA Drives. How can I work around for this?

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@ nginx & ajayritik - alright. i stand corrected.

@ nginx - you seem to have a good knowledge on portable batteries & chargers. that's nice!

congrats @ Azad! And belated congrats @ carlasdream! ;)

nginx

In the zone
I have read in couple of forums that need to be careful with fake ones available. So little apprehensive whether I should go for online or buy from a store. Also since little short on money can I use this current Charger I have and buy those Sanyo Eneloop Batteries?

Guys I'm once again extremely sorry to put this question here. If I have insufficient power ports from SMPS available for SATA Drives. How can I work around for this?

Fakes can be easily avoided if you buy from reputable online sellers. Price is also a good indication, if its too cheap to be true then it probably is. I buy from ebay all the time, haven't gotten any fakes yet as far as Eneloops or NiMH chargers go. Usually you can find a lot of fake laptop batteries and mobile chargers on ebay, so need to be careful if you buy those.

You can use the Sanyo charger for now but its not very good for your battery's. To minimize damage, make sure both batteries are at equal charge levels & also make sure the batteries are almost depleted (not half charged) before you toss em in the charger. Once you get a smart charger, then you can throw caution to the wind and charge them however you like.

As for lack of SMPS SATA power cables, you can get adapters for those I think that provides multiple output jacks through one cable.

@ nginx & ajayritik - alright. i stand corrected.

@ nginx - you seem to have a good knowledge on portable batteries & chargers. that's nice!

congrats @ Azad! And belated congrats @ carlasdream! ;)

I love electronics DIY, so I try to gather as much knowledge as possible. Built a portable laptop/mobile/tablet charger a few months ago that works with both NiMH/Alkaline and Li-Co/Li-Po/Li-Mn 18650 cells as well as an external solar panel if one is available. That took several tries and many months of research to finally get it right. Started the project back in March last year ago, learnt a lot about all types of batteries in general and how to design protection circuits for them etc. etc. while doing it :)

Last edited:

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
That's the same charger I'm using. Its absolutely safe to use with any NiMH LSD batteries and infact one of the best NiMH chargers you can find in the Indian market where most other chargers sold are dumb timer based chargers that often charge in pairs and should be avoided at all costs.

Hmm! Talk about batteries on a High! :wink:

Built a portable laptop, mobile and tablet charger a few months ago ... ... ...

Let's call it a PortaLap, shall we? :wink::wink:

ajayritik

Technomancer
Thanks @ nginx. Your help and insight into the batteries was quite helpful. However what about the AAA Size Batteries do we get them as rechargeable as well?

Actually I have 3 SATA HDD and one SATA DVD rom drive and only 3 power SATA connectors coming from the SMPS. Heard somewhere that it's not advisable to use splitter. Is this true? Any suggestions?

@ sjoardar. Earlier you had suggested on the Transcend 3.5 " External HDD casing. I find that the cost is around 2.4 K. Is it worth it?

nginx

In the zone
Thanks @ nginx. Your help and insight into the batteries was quite helpful. However what about the AAA Size Batteries do we get them as rechargeable as well?

Actually I have 3 SATA HDD and one SATA DVD rom drive and only 3 power SATA connectors coming from the SMPS. Heard somewhere that it's not advisable to use splitter. Is this true? Any suggestions?

@ sjoardar. Earlier you had suggested on the Transcend 3.5 " External HDD casing. I find that the cost is around 2.4 K. Is it worth it?

AAA Eneloops are also available. Look around on ebay. I bought a couple for my wireless keyboard.

Splitters are not recommended? Sorry I don't know much about that. May be someone else can fill you in on that. My PSU has so many power connectors, I doubt I will ever run out of them, so I haven't bothered to research on splitters, just know that they are available.

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH

Well I'm using Fameart charger which Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh plus it can charge single battery. Never had any issue.
*i.imgur.com/WCeOO1j.jpg?1

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
I love electronics DIY, so I try to gather as much knowledge as possible. Built a portable laptop/mobile/tablet charger a few months ago that works with both NiMH/Alkaline and Li-Co/Li-Po/Li-Mn 18650 cells as well as an external solar panel if one is available. That took several tries and many months of research to finally get it right. Started the project back in March last year ago, learnt a lot about all types of batteries in general and how to design protection circuits for them etc. etc. while doing it :)

that's too good! DIY is a very good way of dealing with matters of day-to-day life, wherein skills learned could come useful anywhere, anytime! i like that! keep up the good work! :)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I received my pre-order of God of War: Ascension Collector's Edition from amazon.com yesterday. It's a pretty good game so far.

nginx

In the zone
^^ Where did you get that from and for how much? How about a charger which can charge both AA and AAA?

The Sony chargers I linked you to earlier can charge both AA and AAA cells.

that's too good! DIY is a very good way of dealing with matters of day-to-day life, wherein skills learned could come useful anywhere, anytime! i like that! keep up the good work! :)

I received my pre-order of God of War: Ascension Collector's Edition from amazon.com yesterday. It's a pretty good game so far.

Congo Extreme Gamer. Game on brother.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
Bought these books:

The C Programming Language : Ansi C Version 2nd Edition (Paperback) By K & R : Rs 110
Head First C (Paperback) : Rs 396
Thinking in C++ : Introduction to Standard C++ Volume - 1 (With CD) 2nd Edition (Paperback) By Bruce Eckel: Rs 582 (will receive tomorrow)
Thinking in C++ : Practical Programming (Volume - 2) 1st Edition (Paperback) By Bruce Eckel : Rs 664

total : Rs 1752
the c programming language not so good book.......

Top Bottom