Post your latest Purchase

Therapist

Broken In
Bought this a couple of days back from Lamington Road to conclude my PC build:

NZXT Sentry2 touchscreen fan controller.
Purchase date: 18th August
Price: Rs 1,900
Place/Dealer: Prime ABGB, Lamington Rd
City: Bombay

Alternatives considered: Did some research, but didn't bother with anything else. Mainly because this is reasonably priced, has just the right number of fans supported (that is, five), and looks rad with its touchscreen LCD.

Additional notes: The guy at the counter quoted me Rs 2,050 initially, which prompted me to inform him that theitdepot.com has it listed it for Rs 1,950. He brought down the price by Rs 150 without any hesitation, so I asked him to prepare the bill.

*i.imgur.com/r7S7n.jpg

Cnct DVI-DVI cable 24-pin, Dual Link (2 metre)
Got this from the same shop for Rs 600, but that one had massive image corruption. I had to travel all the way back to the shop to get it replaced. The new one works like it should.

Xbox 360 gamepad (PC)
Asked a friend to get it for me from Lamington Rd. He forgot the name of the shop (some shop opposite the pig station, he said), but that guy quoted a price of Rs 1,650 to my friend. I called his bullshit when my friend called me to confirm the price. I asked my pal to tell the shopkeeper that it retails for Rs 1,250 elsewhere. Then the shop dude was like, "Is that so? Take it for Rs 1,250 then". At this, I asked my friend to buy it from elsewhere, since the retailer had tried to con him, but my friend was in too much of a hurry to enforce karma that day.

Last edited:

Therapist

Broken In
Yes, the display is a touchscreen LCD, and is quite responsive. It can control 5 fans, either at a manually preset speed (controlled by varying voltage) or automatically with the help of accompanied temperature probes. You can even set it to sound an alarm at a preset temperature for each fan.

I have 7 CoolerMaster 120mm fans in all, out of which two are in a push/pull config on the Hyper 212+ CPU cooler. The Hyper 212+ intake fan (CM 120mm LED), lower side intake fan, two top exhaust and one rear exhaust fans are controlled by the Sentry2. The Hyper 212+ exhaust fan and the front intake fan are hooked up to the mobo itself. Here's how it looks:

*i.imgur.com/sBtS7.jpg

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
@Therapist

Nice purchase.....
Congratulation!
I'm LK a new case with in build fan controller.
I heard that NZXT Phantom is good.
But,unfortunately NZXT cases are not available in KOlkata.
Good cable management too.....

Therapist

Broken In
Thanks. A monitor with component inputs was imperative to hook up my PS2, but that meant spending Rs 14,000 on the Samsung P2370MS. This compromised my budget for other peripherals like the cabinet. Rs 2,000 was the most I was willing to spend, so the CM Elite-310 and NZXT Gamma were considered. I have built a rig for a friend with the Elite-310 and the steel quality is, beyond doubt, superior to that of the NZXT Gamma. But that's the only thing going for the Elite-310.

The Gamma has far better aerodynamic design (6 fan support), screw-less rack mounted HDD bays, air filters on the mesh intakes (indispensable in our dusty environs), and a superb rubber mount system for the PSU. It has a provision in the mobo mount for custom CPU coolers as well. The cable management system is impeccable as well, as you have already noticed. The bottom mount config does a great job of thermally isolating the PSU from the cabinet. My Corsair CX400 PSU draws in air through a washable air filter provided at the bottom and pumps it out through the back. That's just brilliant. The NZXT Gamma may not be as well built as the CM Elite-310, but it's far more well designed.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Therapist:
I like the fan controller. I had contemplated this --- then went for the Scythe Kaze Server. Though this has touch screen...! The thermal diodes and fan connectors do create a nice mess. Where all you placed the diodes.?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Depends where, whats the point on GPU/CPU, they have their own diodes visible to software interfaces..!

I have mine on the PSU, RAM heat spreader, CPU HSF, NB HSF.

By the ways my new purchase..
Got these yesterday evening from ICCworld.com. Received the box 9 days after making the payment. Quite happy.

RB3044 Small Metal Aviators / Color W3177

*a.imageshack.us/img69/2724/dsc03072t.jpg
*a.imageshack.us/img409/2938/dsc03073.jpg
*a.imageshack.us/img826/2649/dsc03074r.jpg
*a.imageshack.us/img801/1782/dsc03076l.jpg
*a.imageshack.us/img594/6844/dsc03078g.jpg
*a.imageshack.us/img201/9006/dsc03079v.jpg
*a.imageshack.us/img716/8893/dsc03080iw.jpg
*a.imageshack.us/img265/6363/dsc03081s.jpg

RaptorX

Broken In
@Jaskanwar and anyone else that's bought/buying the elite 430.... Is it really worth the 1200 or so Rs more than the elite 310? Besides looking better,led lights,tooless design and window is there some substantial benefit? Is the airflow much better? I'm asking because I'm on a tight budget and was wondering if the 310 would be okay.

@asigh- Nice raybans. What monitor is that? Is it a dell 22inch?

rajan1311

Padawan
@asigh : Now how about a few pics with the shades on??? :)
PS: where have you put the diode on the PSU and what kind of temps do you get there?

Therapist

Broken In
Therapist:
I like the fan controller. I had contemplated this --- then went for the Scythe Kaze Server. Though this has touch screen...!

I don't trust potentiometers with the massive moisture problem in my house, and having serviced those on my Mini-Z (R/C car) builds, I wanted to do away with the hassle of maintaining a pot. A digital touchscreen interface translates into less probability of failure, which is crucial since these products do not have any warranty or support whatsoever.

The thermal diodes and fan connectors do create a nice mess. Where all you placed the diodes.?

Yeah, 6x2 molex connectors and another 5 temperature probes scattered across the chassis can potentially create one godawful mess. That's why I meticulously planned the placement and cable management beforehand. I decided to let the fan controller run the fans according to the readings reported by the diodes, because there's no need for the rig to be noisy at idle. These snaps should give you a better idea on the probe placement I employed:

*i.imgur.com/uhPcD.jpg​

This is the rear I/O panel of the Sentry2. Four out of the five fan leads have been channeled through the top of the chassis to interface with neatly bunched headers strapped to the sides of the 5.25" bay for better airflow. The fifth fan is connected with a wire that's routed through the back of the chassis. The temperature probes are similarly bound and secured to the other end and distributed with optimal wire length.

*i.imgur.com/FJPOv.jpg
Temperature at idle: 29°C

Fan#1 header controls the Hyper 212+ intake fan based on the readings from Temp#1 probe stuck onto the heatsink. This being a test setup, I moved the probe on the top of the heatsink soon thereafter, where it touches one of the heat pipe terminations. I get an accurate reading this way. I also noticed that the supplied thermal tape isn't very good at adhering to hot surfaces.

*i.imgur.com/vXtzb.jpg
Temperature at idle: 37°C

Fan#2 header is hooked up to the side intake fan that sits right beside the GPU intake fan, pumping it with cool air at a rate determined by Temp#2 probe placed near the GPU. Once again, the position was changed so that it is near the centre of the GPU for correct readings.

*i.imgur.com/MU4px.jpg
Temperature at idle: 36°C

Fan#3 header controls the top exhaust fan that sits very close to the RAM modules. Temp#3 probe is attached to the RAM heatsink.

*i.imgur.com/VfR4y.jpg
Temperature at idle: 31°C

Fan#4 header is wired to the top exhaust fan handling the heat generated by the PWM. Temp#4 diode is attached to the PWM heatsink.

*i.imgur.com/jVk7v.jpg
Temperature at idle: 38°C

Fan#5 header is linked to the rear exhaust fan right in front of the northbridge chipset. Temp#5 probe is attached to the only real estate available at the side of the heatsink.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Good placement. Makes sense. Mine is almost similar but I avoided the GPU and put one on the side of the PSU case.

@asigh- Nice raybans. What monitor is that? Is it a dell 22inch?

It is a S2409W - 24" Dell.

@asigh : Now how about a few pics with the shades on??? :)
PS: where have you put the diode on the PSU and what kind of temps do you get there?

Images of me with the shades..! Nah..! :)
I put it on the side of the PSU. It currently shows 37C.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
On 18 th Aug bought :

AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 4.4k
Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H @ 4k

from Vedant

Last edited:

6x6

Journeyman
on 20 Aug bought Samsung B1930 LCD monitor @6.2k

Screen Size 46.99cm (18.5)
Resolution 1360 x 768
Response Time (Typical) 5ms
Viewing Angle(Horizontal/Vertical) 170˚/160˚ (CR>10)
Color Supported 16.7M

Myst Eco B1930N ? Desktop Monitor ? Monitor I Samsung ? Microsoft Internet Explorer - B1930N - Desktop Monitior - Monitor | SAMSUNG

on 20 Aug bought Samsung B1930 LCD monitor @6.2k

Screen Size 46.99cm (18.5)
Resolution 1360 x 768
Response Time (Typical) 5ms
Viewing Angle(Horizontal/Vertical) 170˚/160˚ (CR>10)
Color Supported 16.7M

Myst Eco B1930N ? Desktop Monitor ? Monitor I Samsung ? Microsoft Internet Explorer - B1930N - Desktop Monitior - Monitor | SAMSUNG

how is it got so low resolution?

Top Bottom