Post what you fried

Status
Not open for further replies.

orc

n00b
Hi Guys,

I am sure many of us have killed various PC components by overclocking, dropping, kicking, spilling, sitting on it, or by any other innovative ways.

Let's have this thread dedicated for this.
For the start, I have fried:

A Sapphire 1950Pro - By trying to mess with it's heatsinks
Two SMPS - When trying to mess with it's fans and internal circuitry
A Seagate HDD - When my home made liquid cooling leaked
One Intel Mobo - When cleaning it, I don't know what happened
An old Intel Mobo when I wrote a C++ program to read the BIOS :D

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I fried my SMPS. Its fan had stopped working. I was aware of that but I still continued using it instead of getting it replaced. Finally it gave up. When I removed it and shook it, some pieces of burned-out plastic fell from it. :D

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
This isn't exactly something I fried myself, but I think you'll agree that it's an unusual case. It's a computer I assembled for someone in 2005. He took it home and hooked it up to a neighbourhood gaming LAN.

Two days later, when the owner was out and the computer was not even turned on, lightning struck a nearby house and the computer died. It wouldn't even turn on. On checking, it turned out that lightning had surged in through the network port, blew up the chip and killed the motherboard.

I felt really sorry for the owner, but I couldn't cover a lightning strike with warranty, so I replaced the mobo at cost, i.e, without making any profit.

Two years later, I had an inspiration and checked the power input points to the motherboard, and yes, the 3.3V rail was shorting to ground. I downloaded the datasheet of the Realtek RTL8201BL ethernet chip. I identified the 3.3V supply pin and disconnected it, and the short disappeared. I hooked up the mobo to PSU and monitor and Voila ! It sprang to life. With that mpbo and other left-over parts, I assembled a complete computer which is still being used by my daughter.

I felt really sorry for the owner, but I couldn't cover a lightning strike with warranty, so I replaced the mobo at cost, i.e, without making any profit.
Thats a noble thing to do.:)
Two years later, I had an inspiration and checked the power input points to the motherboard, and yes, the 3.3V rail was shorting to ground. I downloaded the datasheet of the Realtek RTL8201BL ethernet chip. I identified the 3.3V supply pin and disconnected it, and the short disappeared. I hooked up the mobo to PSU and monitor and Voila ! It sprang to life. With that mpbo and other left-over parts, I assembled a complete computer which is still being used by my daughter.
You got lucky :lol: Too bad you didn't get the brainwave two years before the incident.;)

acewin

Point Blanc
screwed seagate HDD, it was external cased HDD, pulled the power cable from my legs. and bang, the HDD cannot be used now

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
Killed my ait IP35-E will removing my HSF for moding.the screw driver slipped from my hand and chipped off a diode from the PWM area.the mobo died.
had to pay 500bucks and got a new replaced mobo.:)

Also 2 WD 160GBs developed Sector Relocation Error and had to be replaced (under warranty).

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Not much of a FRY....was hooking up a local 80mm fan to my chassis. I was holding it in my hand..and plugged it in..to check the colored dioded. It suddenly smoked and stopped working...dust binned it...though only lost rs100...!!! :)

Killed my ait IP35-E will removing my HSF for moding.the screw driver slipped from my hand and chipped off a diode from the PWM area.the mobo died.
had to pay 500bucks and got a new replaced mobo.:)

Also 2 WD 160GBs developed Sector Relocation Error and had to be replaced (under warranty).
You chipped off a single diode ? Why didn't you try to solder it back ?

praka123

left this forum longback
nothing much :D !my hdd was going to die.so I backup data and gave for RMA ,thats it!.
then.. the classical mistake. tried DDR-333 and DDR-400Mhz RAMs on the two slots of my first mobo(Intel 915GAV) and mobo dead. :|

shift

Seed is the Life!!
Sony Ericsson K810i - dropped from 3rd floor to ground floor...... went to pieces...

Intel P4 2.8Ghz Processor with Intel 845 Board - start the computer WITHOUT THE PROCESSOR FAN and then..............BOOM !!

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
fried a friend's brand new mobo. He hadn't earthed his new comp and boom! mobo dead in first shot. Replaced with a new one. Again connected the pc to the same unearthed supply, and this time, the sata hard disk's power cable caught fire with lots of sparks and smoke and and burnt away the hd's board. But still, its working. He learnt is lesson and got his connection earthed immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom