Post-graduation (BE)/ SAP career advice

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
Can anyone explain the career path if I train in SAP? Is there a better alternative. I'm an average academic performer. Any recommended institutes for such courses.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Can anyone explain the career path if I train in SAP? Is there a better alternative. I'm an average academic performer. Any recommended institutes for such courses.

What are your qualifications as of now. There is a high demand for SAP professionals.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Getting certification from SAP (for implementation) via Siemens is better but it costs from 2 lacs to 5 lacs for different modules.

Three kind of job titles you can aspire for: SAP tester, SAP developer (later technical consultant) or SAP functional consultant (more on implementation than coding, required good understanding of business process).

I'd say start with ABAP programming (thats what you use to code SAP objects and interfaces, it's like JAVA). Do a course or get into a consultancy. Acquire a job via consultancy on contract. Take your time learning every aspect for 2-3 years. It will be good enough time to understand the business process too (if you really put the efforts into that. Nobody will be willing to tell you that apart from normal coding of objects). By 4-6 years you should have a good grasp of functional knowledge supplemented with technical knowledge. That would be the tipping point to hold the baton as a function consultant. Pretty sweet spot it is, if you ask me.

Basic idea is to get as much industrial exposure as you can because it's the experience which is counted here. For Siemen's certification too the prerequisite is 2 (IIRC) years industrial exposure.

aab

Right off the assembly line
Getting certification from SAP (for implementation) via Siemens is better but it costs from 2 lacs to 5 lacs for different modules.

Three kind of job titles you can aspire for: SAP tester, SAP developer (later technical consultant) or SAP functional consultant (more on implementation than coding, required good understanding of business process).

I'd say start with ABAP programming (thats what you use to code SAP objects and interfaces, it's like JAVA). Do a course or get into a consultancy. Acquire a job via consultancy on contract. Take your time learning every aspect for 2-3 years. It will be good enough time to understand the business process too (if you really put the efforts into that. Nobody will be willing to tell you that apart from normal coding of objects). By 4-6 years you should have a good grasp of functional knowledge supplemented with technical knowledge. That would be the tipping point to hold the baton as a function consultant. Pretty sweet spot it is, if you ask me.

Basic idea is to get as much industrial exposure as you can because it's the experience which is counted here. For Siemen's certification too the prerequisite is 2 (IIRC) years industrial exposure.

//aab
Hi, I am working with Siemens for past two yrs and have heared that my company provide some kind of SAP training. I am not really sure about this, I have queried by hr about this but she wasn't of any help. Can anyone throw some light on this. I heared about SAP a lot but am completely unaware about it, so can anybody tell me more about it and let me my option if I plan to opt SAP in near future. P.S. ->This is my first post on this forum so ignore me if I am precise with my question or sound naiive :)
//aab

Last edited:
Top Bottom