Portable HDD Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpuk

teh 479
Guys, I want to buy a portable HDD. I have only two needs....1st - It should be 250gb.....2nd - it should be good looking
My budget is Rs.3800-4200
I've zeroed in on these hard drives:
1. Transcend storejet (military drop test approved)
2. Maxtor one touch 4 mini
3. WD my passport essentials

now I need your suggestions and PRICES of/on these hard drives....
I wouldn't be using automatic touch back up utilities on the hard disk.....but the hard disks without these features are very dull looking, eg maxtor basics.....

WD passport is very prone to scratches, is it true? I mean I don't want it to get all scratched up after a few months of usage....coz the piano black finish really looks bad after being spoiled.

please give me some suggestions and also let me know if there are any other good brands which I can get my hands upon.

Deepak.

OP
D

dpuk

teh 479
^^^ It's fine if you don't wanna help out.
It's fine that you know a lot about hardware and stuff.
But you can be polite to a n00b seeking advice!!! right?
but you won't

^^^ It's fine if you don't wanna help out.
It's fine that you know a lot about hardware and stuff.
But you can be polite to a n00b seeking advice!!! right?
but you won't
Dude...chill
He is right.
You can search the forum first before posting as there are many thread like this posted before and answered too.....:|

OP
D

dpuk

teh 479
Dude wise....I went through all the threads related to portable hard disks...but couldn't find any latest thread relation to 250gb portable hard disk

and I'm cool..I just like to speak and to be spoken to politely:)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
ok,ok enough of this guys...jus giv the begineer a reply..
-------------

ok buddy..(even though its been discussed a million times abt portable HDDs) but dnt get pissed off.. :)

go with a WD.. infact its stylish with a blue LED and good transfer rates.. :) and PLEASE get a cover (from the local market) for ur portable hdd to avoid any scratches..

yup Piano black looks awesomely sexy.. :D
------------

Cheers n e-peace...

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I bought WD 250 GB Elements portable (with USB) for Rs.3500/- It does not have any stylish casing but has two rubber covering at either end that prevents contact with surface and avoids scratches. I am comfortable carrying it with my laptop bag.

OP
D

dpuk

teh 479
thanx Ashu! I finally ordered the transcend storejet 250gb for rs.3850
It's expected to reach the shopkeeper tomorrow or by latest on wednesday.
He didn't have the WD one....even I think that it's the sexiest budget hdd out there...but even then, the purpose of portability is best served by the transcend...1. coz it doesn't need any cover..having a cover would be inconvenient when carrying it in pocket....2. It's for the rough use as it has passed some US military drop test...I mean, you can't expect it to survive 10 storey jumps but sure it can handle the occasional drops and the regular rides in a glove compartment of a two wheeler :D

@ Mr. Rao....bhai, you got the best deal around here...but the only thing is that the HDD you got is a bit bulkier...and it's discontinued....WD elements was the first drive by WD...now it's been replaced by My Passport Essentials and My Passport Premium.
But it solves your purpose and it's performance is the same as any other normal portable HDD out there...

Thank you guys
this forum's great

OP
D

dpuk

teh 479
From Delhi....some friend of mine has a retailer friend...he ordered for me....genuine and with bill :D

OP
D

dpuk

teh 479
normal these guys have a margin of rs.300-400 on a portable hdd. it's available in normal market for rs.4100. you can get it easily..and moreover transcend is cheap coz it's relatively a new brand.....WD, MAXTOR and SEAGATE are already there in market since a long time thats why they are priced high.

bragss2

Right off the assembly line
A bit late to reply...but, seagate freeagent 500gb hdd with one touch backup utility is available for Rs 4100/- (with bill). I bought it a month ago, now it may be cheaper still. Performance is good. Disadvantage - not easy to carry in a laptop bag.

OP
D

dpuk

teh 479
you got the 3.5" harddisk pal...I am talking about portable, i.e., 2.5"

anyways, got the transcend storejet mobile 250gb for rs. 3850 today.....m formatting it right now...but it's running comparitively hot than my ex-lacie 80 gb....dont know why....may be the silicon sleeve on it....who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom