Pls suggest a Config!

Please suggest which one should I go for Pentium or AMD?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiRaGe

Right off the assembly line
Hi, I'm thinking of upgrading my PC.

Please suggest me some config within 22K :!:

The parts which I'm not upgrading are: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, CD-RW.

[I'm a gamer :) ]

Pls include a DVD-ROM too!

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
An A64 won't fit into your budget, so I suggest something like

Athlon XP 2600+
Krypton C18G-400
512MB DDR400 (2x256MB sticks so you can run them in dual mode)
GF FX5700
80GB Barracuda 7.2krpm
Cabinet with a good 400W PSU (A 300W PSU with real 300W capability will suffice for the above config, but it's a good idea to leave some headroom for future expansion).

These items may just fit into your budget but there won't be anything left for the DVD drive. If you can't stretch your budget right now but would be able to upgrade later on, you have a few options -

Use 256MB RAM
Or use a lower gfx card such as an FX5600
Or install 512MB but do without a separate gfx card for now, and use the onboard GF4 MX. Serious gamers will sneer at it, but it's quite useable at low settings.

OP
M

MiRaGe

Guys, please help. I'm really confused now. Some of my frnds & the technician whom I contacted say that I go for Pentium. I really don't know what to do? Pentium or AMD Athlon? :roll:

And, is this the best config that I can go for in 22K :?:

wise

Broken In
Hey MiRage,

Couldn't resist posting. Do you realise that you may inadvertantly start an Intel/AMD war with your question?

Well it is like this. Every new parent asks everybody he/she meets about a name for his/her newborn. The people most of the time take this request seriously and give sincere suggestions about the probable monicker, sometimes even going to the trouble of searching through big tomes and websites.

But the ultimate and final name chosen for the chuuby brute is what is suggested( dictated) by Dada/Dadi/Nana/Nani.

Similar is the case for the first time computer buyers also. They go on to 'every site within sight' and request every TD&H about a new config. Now the good smaritans ferquenting the sites, give what they think is 'best bang for the buck' according to their liking nad experience.

But what is the usual outcome? Mind you,I have seen this act to be played over and over again, many a time. The outcome is that the person disregards all the good advice given by the GSs and goes out and buys a config which is 5K costlier and one generation older.

So please act as per the advice of your well-wishers because they want the best for you. This will give you the peace of mind, even if you get a config which may not justify it's price.

But if you are really interested in getting the best BFYB, go the way suggested by Pimpom.

Hope I clarified your doubts.

Geforce

Journeyman
Thats exactly what has happened with me in the past when i used to help my friends with their configs.

They always say they know the dealer or he's like a friend to them but it is likely that you will get a stab in your back. Vendors will always try to flush out their old stock for which they are not going to get much profit in the near future. They will always convince by saying - is not available in the market.

Later they(friends) used to moan that they didn't have a graphics card or an AGP slot and i used to come hard on them.

Hey MiRaGe you are a gamer so as said by pimpom AMD Rocks!!!

If you can just wait a little longer for the prices to fall and your money plant to grow a little more, then AMD64 is very promising procy on the gaming front. Do consider.

Sinnet

Broken In
well said :)
btw
never ASK a computer dealer in INDIA for what to buy :)
cos none of them know whut the hell thet are talking about and secondly they
always try to sell u a intel processor which is overpriced and which everyone regrets after buying :)

so stick to your buddies who know stuff bout PC's or to ppl on digitforum and BUY A AMD ....
and as for whoever suggests intel to this fells i'd like to see a justification for suggesting one :D
AMD roX :)
INTEL suX :)
eNjOy :)

pa_ajaykumar

Broken In
sinnet is correct. Never ask a comp dealer whats best. they will always try to coax you into buying something that is profitable for them and not to you.

If you are a gamer then the processor should be the third in your priority list. first comes the Ram, second the Graphics card and third the processor and MoBo. You can sacrifice a few Mhz to save some money that can be better spent on the ram and graphics. Dont go for the latest and hottest processor. since they will cost a bomb without much difference in price.

Since your budget is low you can go for what pimpom has suggested. The Processor you are taking will depend on what purpose you are going to put it to use. If you want it mostly for gaming and regular work then you can go for AMD. If you want to do some serious work in photoshop, 3d max or other intensive applications where every Mhz counts rather than the optimizations then you should go for a P4.

OP
M

MiRaGe

Thanx a lot guys! So, after this unanimous decision in favor of AMD.......do I have any choice left :D .

And, I just wanted to confirm that the config provided by pimpom is the best that I can go for. Thx mate. :wink:

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
just 2 changes from pimpoms config is what I would suggest. Asus mobo (BIG ASUS fan here) they are extremely good

AMD 2600+ Barton (highly overclockable) - Rs 4500
ASUS A7N8XVM - Rs 5400
2x256MB DDR RAM @ 400 should be around 4.5 k
Liteon DVD ROM - Rs 1400

the rest remains the same.

delhibhai1000

Journeyman
*NEW* LOW price:384Mb DDR266 for just 2k !

hi,
I live in Delhi & wanna sell my RAM:

1)USED with 2yr WARRANTY LEFT 256Mb DDR266 with Aluminium Heatspreader
BRAND: GVC
In Excellent condition.
PRICE EXPECTED: 1400Rs.

2)USED with 2yr WARRANTY LEFT 128Mb DDR 266
BRAND: GVC
PRICE EXPECTED: 600Rs.

I will courier the RAM anywhere in India for free.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Hi icecoolz, I'm a big fan of Asus too, and there's no denying that they ARE the top motherboard manufacturers, but in this particular case I prefer the Krypton C18G-400 (actually a repackaged Biostar M7NCG-400) because IMO it has better features and is cheaper. I've used dozens of them and it's very stable too.

I posted a comparision of the features in another thread. Here's a summary (this is from memory, correct me if I got something wrong) -

RAM slots : Krypton - 3, Asus - 2
Game port : Krypton - yes, Asus - no
TV-out : Krypton - yes, Asus - no
CNR slot : Krypton - yes, Asus - no (may not be of much use)
Dual-channel RAM w/o gfx card : Krypton - yes, Asus - no
USB ports : Krypton - 2+4, Asus - 4+2
Video RAM : Krypton - 128MB, Asus - not sure ATM, 64MB ??
Price : Krypton - 4k, Asus - 5.4k

The two are very similar in other things.
-

Sinnet

Broken In
yeah nice and fancy krypton board lol
but m8
i used a krypton board
it's build quality is C R A P :(
so stick to ASUS ppl
u cant do anything on this planet to make a krypton board outperform a ASUS board or even make it look sturdier :D
enjoy :)
and for the record the best board u can get is a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe :D

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
pimpom :

Agreed that board is a damn good one. Its the after service for those things that I was concerned about. Anyways let him choose the board he want....and I guess I am an ASUS fanboy when it comes to mobo :)

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
so wats the decission?

i got pretty intersted in ur discussion yeilding to the excellent knowledge and some goofs up shown in the replying mode by users

am also intersted in putting togeather or rather assembling my own pc

i came across an intersting fact tht there are many people who dont knw what to do with their well powered pc all they do in use the word processors play some games and then hang up the system and that it..some audiopiles listen to music rest even dont knw whats inside their pc! mainly its a mad rush for the names you could easily hear people when asked whats their pc config blunt answer is " i got pentium" note worth is that due to the human nature of hording things they just tend up spending bucks over things which is not atall useful to them!

the bottom point rather than asking for some 20k pc just jolt down the usage and then ask its easy that ways ....

spend and use wisely...

OP
M

MiRaGe

So, the final specs, as you have suggested;

AMD 2600+ Barton
ASUS A7N8XVM
2 x 256 MB DDR RAM @ 400
Liteon DVD ROM
GF FX5700
80 GB Barracuda 72 krpm
400W PSU Cabinet

Got that right? :roll:

And, one more qs, does the AMD Processor heat up if used for a long time? :?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
nice selection. Also I would say consider the mobo pimpom suggested. As you are in Mumbai getting support from Priya for the Krypton mobo shouldnt be an issue. Its a good mobo. So check it out.

AMD and heating issues are old news. The new Barton cores have no such issues what so ever. Also I would suggest getting the system assembled by the dealer if possible. AMD CPU's are a lil difficult to install the heatsink especially. So dont push it and do somethin and break the mobo or ur CPU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom