pls help...incorrect free space reported...

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthik316_1999

In the zone
i got a 250GB sata drive installed win xp pro SP2 on the c: drive(43.9 GB NTFS)... i got a great problem...when i select all the files in the drives(including hidden and system files) and select properties it says (SIZE :2.01GB , SIZE ON DISK : 1.92 GB)

however when i right click the drive and select properties it shows (USED SPACE:4.01GB, FREE SPACE: 39.9GB)???!!!

how is this possible?? where is that extra 2GB space....i have not enabled sytem restore of any of the drives too...and no files in my recycle bin too.....any help pls/

aadipa

Padawan
There must be some hidden files, or OS protected files.

To to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options
Under View tab, Select 'Show hidden files and folders'
Deselect 'Hide protected operating system files'.

Now check.

You can use tools like SequoiaView to find out which are the files eating up all that space.

It is recommanded to keep the protected operating system files hidden in normal use.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
karthik316_1999 said:
i have not enabled sytem restore of any of the drives too...

by default its allways enabled... u dont have to enable it... check again... and also delete all restore point... that way u will be sure that u have no space eaten by system restore...

also the Page file... where is it?? look for it... reffer to these page...
*support.microsoft.com/kb/307886/

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
yeah guys...the virtual memory is the culprit its 2048MB...now what u suggest..leave it like that or change to the windows recommended 1534MB...i already got 1GB of RAM

and 1 more thing,my HDD LED is on continously...my vendor that happens with a SATA HDD or maybe some other reason like the mobo is not designed for SATA LED etc etc...however if i connect my 40GB IDE HDD also as a secondary master things are fine.... is it ok if it is lit continously when the SATA HDD alone is connected....?

and as per HDD life pro,my SATA HDD temp is shown as 47 degress...but the max temp is indicated as 30 degress..is it ok or is anything wrong...??however my 40GB IDE HDD is cool enough at 43 degress for which the max temp is indicated as 56 degress...

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
now too much page filing will slow the system... but little page file may bottle neck it... so...

umm as u have 1GB of ram i thing it should be around that 1.5GB mark... and one for thing manualy set the page file... put it on any other pertition rather that the OS one... and do not set MAX MIN value different keep them both same... :)

karthik316_1999 said:
my vendor that happens with a SATA HDD or maybe some other reason like the mobo is not designed for SATA LED etc etc

never heard of that reason before... :p call him up... looks to me... its a bad asembling... the conecters are not connected properly...

also... here u 1st besure that no indexing service of back ground AVS scan in not going on... then u call him up ... :p

OP
K

karthik316_1999

In the zone
thats cool saurav..me ide LED problem is now fixed up..and that page file thing,i think since my windows partition had 43 GB capacity(38GB free..) do u think still it will lead to slowness of my pc??

thats is..does the slowing down of system due to high page file caused due to the fact of placing it in the same partition or the free space in it..??

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
karthik316_1999 said:
and that page file thing,i think since my windows partition had 43 GB capacity(38GB free..) do u think still it will lead to slowness of my pc??

well its not about how much free space u have in the drive... as all the programs and windows files is going to get exicute from osroot driver... therefore its recomened to put the page file on other pertition...

and about the size... well Page file acts as a RAM.... some time while procession a huge application request system runs out of RAM... (no matter how much RAM u have)... also some time few block of data doesnt need to be on the physical superfast RAM... so system shift that to the Page file (which acts like RAM but is 1000 times slower than the actual RAM) and when needed at later stage of the application processing system calls that bavk to physical RAM....

now a BIG page file means system has to process that every time u boot up... it has to manage that too... so a huge amount of PAGE file will slow u down... also a small amount of page file can also slow u down as if system runs out of it...

so better 4 ur 1GB... 1.5GB of page file will do... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom