Please tell me the sequence to learn programming ?

Davidaciyo

Right off the assembly line
First you need to know what program is , why is it used , what are the broad variety of techniques , advantages , disadvantages , etc. It will spend a while , so don't be in a hurry.Get a company platform about pc & technology. Only learning how to program will not help. . . . .

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Kid,
Since you want to become a software engineer.I advice you to focus more on Competitive exam and get into one of those IIT or NITS.
But also spend little time updating on technology say one hour a day only.This will help you test if you really interested in computers.

I suggest you don't learn languages now.Because of indian system of education-You won't get oppurtunity to work on these unless you have a degree.
To be simple first aim to get degree and then learn programming.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
wanted to ask a similar question.. found it needless to create a new thread (i'll make a new one if you guys insist)

i wanted to ask :
In which sequence should i learn programming languages..
I have appeared for the +2 and competitive exams.. and will give my Jee adv on june 2

i have similar dreams like OP but has has time , i dont
i took up statistics instead of computer science as an optional elective . along with PCM
i want to learn some good programming languages but i dont know if the sequence matters..
i mean some things are like (if you had done 'A' before then , it would be easier to do 'B' and not the reverse..
just that..

@OP : man! i'm jealous of you.. so much dreams at such age... awesome..

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I'm 12 th now. What makes iit more premium???
I don't understand the use of physics and chemistry( learning is ok but the mathematical problems!!)
And even maths, we don't use trigonometry in our daily lives

Schools must teach c, c++, .net, java, Delphi, CCNA, html, CSS, etc and android development
And I still didn't learn these
I'm going to install ubuntu to learn linux.. Or doing l should installv other linux os? Suggestions please

Can't we directly learn programming and other stuff and get into a job early??

Last edited:

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
^^ you mean dropping studies and going for "self studies" instead of college ??

i dont think so..
in a dumb country like ours, they first see degrees..

and for the PC question,
both of the subjects are very useful..
you are only taking it for yourself..
ever thought of the future physics honours / chemical engg's , etc ??
they contribute a lot to science
like chemical innovations in the medical field, etc

and as for the linux question, you may also use VirtualBox if you dont want the hassles of dualbooting it

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
^^ you mean dropping studies and going for "self studies" instead of college ??

i dont think so..
in a dumb country like ours, they first see degrees..

and for the PC question,
both of the subjects are very useful..
you are only taking it for yourself..
ever thought of the future physics honours / chemical engg's , etc ??
they contribute a lot to science
like chemical innovations in the medical field, etc

how can a person good in iit be an expert in computers? most of the time they will only study, they don't touch the computer.
so when tey will go to job,they will stare at the screen (it companies will teach them from start)
and as for the linux question, you may also use VirtualBox if you dont want the hassles of dualbooting it

i dont mean dropping, but there must be some other computer subjects
so who want them they should opt them. i am no saying everyone should do computer engineering. some doctors, architects, etc
who want computers should opt these other courses (without maths, physics, chem)

as there is no relation with physics and chemistry with computer language

how can a person good in iit be good in computers, as he spends most of the time studying?

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
@ mastercool8695: I still don't feel you're completely screwed, unless you don't get a good Board results.
To my knowledge, most of the times, to pursue, Computer Sciences, you need to have PCM in +2. That gives you option to pursue almost any degree.
As for the sequence to learn programming, IMO, anyone should first start with the basics, i.e. C and C++, along with Data Structures and advanced C including File handling and such topics. That makes most of the basics of Programming, and, if studied carefully, you'll have all your basics clear, then, it won't be much of a problem to work on any other programming language.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I learned C when I was in class 8th (vacations after class 7th). That was about 10 years ago. Before that I learned BASIC in class 5th on my own. I would say that start with BASIC because it is a very fundamental and extremely simple procedural language and will help you understand basic concepts like IO, loops, subroutines, etc. Once you are done with these, you can then move on to C/C++ or Python but I recommend C because other languages like Java, C#, etc use the same syntax. Also, it will teach you about compiling and creating executables.

PS: HTML/CSS is not a programming language.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
@OP: An 8 year old kid starting a new thread on TDF asking about programming languages. That's damn impressive. You've a very bright future.
Right now, target one area of Computer Science. Say, its Web Development (HTML/CSS/JavaScript/PHP) or Client Software Development (C/C++/Java/C#). I would recommend you to learn C Language & play with it for 1-2 years until you have a good grab on it. Believe me, these programming languages are very interesting to play with. Install Linux with Windows & do all the programming on Linux only. But do keep Windows also since Linux may be a little bit complicated when it comes to user friendliness. And like many members above have recommended studying Maths, I would strongly urge you to learn thoroughly Mathematics. But there are many areas within Mathematics. You need to study the portion of Mathematics that is applied in Computer Science which is "Discrete Mathematics". Study Discrete Mathematics in-depth after class 10th boards.

And above all, for the next 3 months, study & make a good understanding of the English Language because everything, everywhere is written & explained in English. So , if you know the meaning of the concepts in English then it's advantageous to grasp that concept quickly. You can skim over the Grammatical portions. Read an English newspaper (The Hindu, Times of India) daily & have a dictionary beside you.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I would say that you should first learn C, as it is a procedural language. After that learn an OOP (object oriented programming) language (Java is the most commonly taught language in school nowadays). I prefer C++ because it is not limited to just one style, like Java is. Python is also a good and flexible option. Start with version 2.7 and after you finish it learn version 3.0.

When I started learning programming, I was in Class 7. I learned C first and then went on to learn C++. An advantage C++ has over other languages for a beginner is almost 100% backwards compatibilty with C, but then it does tend to be syntactically more complex once you get into the thick of things compared to many later languages like Python.

You're in class 8. So I would say that finish your HTML and CSS courses first. Then see what subject choices you have available in class 9. Choose anything the option related to computers. Make sure you keep your math score up also. Before class 9 begins and after your CSS and HTML courses, learn C. And chances are, in class 9 if your subject has any programming at all, it will all be in Java.

A sequence if you got confused.

1. Finish HTML & CSS.
2. Learn a procedural language, such as C.
3. Move to object-oriented programming, and learn any: C++, Java, Python, C# etc [lots of options: I like C++, Python and C#]. If school is teaching a language stick to that language.

And in the meantime, keep brushing up your knowledge on computing.

And remember, nobody can be a "master" of a language right after finishing the course. You need to keep practicing and gaining experience. If your school has a student-run Fest or something, volunteer to design their webpage once you're in Class 11. But don't lose touch with any web-based languages you learn. Also learn PHP and XML, if you are interested in web development.

@OP: An 8 year old kid starting a new thread on TDF asking about programming languages. That's damn impressive. You've a very bright future.
Right now, target one area of Computer Science. Say, its Web Development (HTML/CSS/JavaScript/PHP) or Client Software Development (C/C++/Java/C#). I would recommend you to learn C Language & play with it for 1-2 years until you have a good grab on it. Believe me, these programming languages are very interesting to play with. Install Linux with Windows & do all the programming on Linux only. But do keep Windows also since Linux may be a little bit complicated when it comes to user friendliness. And like many members above have recommended studying Maths, I would strongly urge you to learn thoroughly Mathematics. But there are many areas within Mathematics. You need to study the portion of Mathematics that is applied in Computer Science which is "Discrete Mathematics". Study Discrete Mathematics in-depth after class 10th boards.

And above all, for the next 3 months, study & make a good understanding of the English Language because everything, everywhere is written & explained in English. So , if you know the meaning of the concepts in English then it's advantageous to grasp that concept quickly. You can skim over the Grammatical portions. Read an English newspaper (The Hindu, Times of India) daily & have a dictionary beside you.

TBH it is too early to target one area right now. He should try and gain experience in all kinds of fields and decide on a path in class 12-end preferably and if he can make up his mind earlier, then no earlier than beginning class 11 and only if he has experience in a multitude of fields. So web development, basic programming, application development and backend programming are a few fields that he should have dabbed in when he makes a decision. If he cannot decide by the end of class 12, then the first year of college as a Computer Science and/or Engineering student should be the time to explore and take a decision.
The OS is also not a factor for a learner, really. Though segregating his work and play does help a lot. If you want linux, then I suggest running Xubuntu or Mint. Very user friendly.

Top Bottom