Please suggest upgrade for 10k

isaac12345

Journeyman
Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading my aging core2duo based system to something faster for no more than 10k. Its primary use would be gaming and 1080p videos. My current config is the follows -

Cpu - Intel Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz
Mobo - Gigabyte p35 s3g - not working
Gfx card - msi 8800gt 512mb
Ram - 2x2gb DDR2 800Mhz
HDD- 1TB 7200RPM with Win 7 32bit
320gb 7200RPM with Linux mint 17.1 64 bit
Optical drive - Samsung DVD writer
PSU - Corsair VX450W
Case - CoolerMaster RC330
Current monitor - Samsung Syncmaster 540N 1024x768

I dont plan to upgrade the HDD,case or PSU as they serve me fine. I would like to mostly focus on the CPU,mobo and gfx card so that I can get smooth performance on my current monitor. So, please suggest a config for 10k alongwith where I can get it online. I would prefer a seller which provides buyer protections, like ebay, in case the sellers screws me over. Thanks! :)

OP
I

isaac12345

Journeyman
*www.digit.in/forum/pc-components-c...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

Ah sorry! Here it is -

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mostly gaming and browsing on the web. I haven't played any AAA games since assassin's creed revelations, so I would like to catch up to atleast the last few years. Maybe close to a performance of a gtx 560. I would also be interested in running psp,ps2 and nintentdo wii emulation.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:10k. Willing to go second hand if I can get better components with a warranty and buyer's protection

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:Yes but not too heavily

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Win 7 32 bit and linux mint 17.1 64 bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:None. Already have a terabyte and 320bg hdd

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No. Will reuse current monitor Samsung Syncmaster 540n at resolution 1024x768

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Hard drives, Monitor, Case,mouse,keyboard,maybe power supply if it is not damaged

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Have built one before

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Delhi. Open to buy from whichever offers better buyer protection

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I might need to get my power supply repaired. So please suggest a config with and without an appropriate one.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 11k

ProcessorIntel Pentium G32203,800
MotherboardGigabyte GA-H81M-S13,600
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury 4GB 1600 MHz1,900
Power SupplyAntec BP450PS
Total11,400

OP
I

isaac12345

Journeyman
I doubt this would run the likes of assassin's creed black flag or crysis 2 eh? I dont mind going second hand as long as I get reliable buyer protection

Last edited:
"No. Will reuse current monitor Samsung Syncmaster 540n at resolution 1024x768"

You make my cry... I miss my Samsung Syncmaster. Those were the bomb back when i was in school.

And why do you want to replace your PSU ?

player100

Broken In
investing 10k won't make a big difference in games bcoz if u just upgrade motherboard and cpu,
they will improve the performance but by few fps(4-5), not much

Its the gpu that needs to be upgraded for playing the latest gun with decent fps and visuals :)

watch this bro:-
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwnekGgpdQ

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
why 32bit?
32bit windows is more or less dead especially for gaming
you can reuse your same key as before to install a 64bit copy of windows

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Bro will 64BIT OS make any performance difference in games or PC ?

obviously
for 3 reasons-
1. 32bit doesnt support 4gb ram fully and only recognises 3.5gb
2. most games require ONLY 64bit windows now
3. Latest drivers are now moving towards 64bit only so gpu performance etc which depends on latest drivers for latest games most of the time, will require 64bit

OP
I

isaac12345

Journeyman
investing 10k won't make a big difference in games bcoz if u just upgrade motherboard and cpu,
they will improve the performance but by few fps(4-5), not much

Its the gpu that needs to be upgraded for playing the latest gun with decent fps and visuals :)

watch this bro:-
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwnekGgpdQ

That's an informative link. Do you know which CPU he is running?

Well I dont expect to run the latest and greatest. Only till crysis 2 or assassin's creed black flag as I know that I wont be able to get much for my money.

Anyway, as I most definitely need to replace my motherboard and PSU, I'll be buying -

1) A Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L for 2214 off ebay
2) A Core 2 Duo E8300 for 650 off ebay
3) A brand new Corsair CX430W off either primeabgb or itdepot for about 3200

Which only leaves me about 4000 bucks to spend on a graphics card. I'd appreciate if you could suggest some decent upgrades, second or first hand ones. I would also appreciate if you could suggest any other second hand websites that are as good as ebay.

player100

Broken In

he did not mention the model name...Just its core2Duo..It has dual core

May be look for amazon.com/ebay.com and not the indian site....
make sure that they deliver it to india.

If u can get a better 2nd hand card then its good, but u will have to find them..
Just make sure that the new PSU that u r going the get has at least 2x6pin connector to power up the gpu. Choose the gpu(check what power pin it need) then decide the psu...

But, it seems that ur GT8800 is more powerful then the cards that will come in 4k...

Good luck finding gpu

quicky008

Technomancer

Well I dont expect to run the latest and greatest. Only till crysis 2 or assassin's creed black flag as I know that I wont be able to get much for my money.

Anyway, as I most definitely need to replace my motherboard and PSU, I'll be buying -

1) A Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L for 2214 off ebay
2) A Core 2 Duo E8300 for 650 off ebay
3) A brand new Corsair CX430W off either primeabgb or itdepot for about 3200

Which only leaves me about 4000 bucks to spend on a graphics card. I'd appreciate if you could suggest some decent upgrades, second or first hand ones. I would also appreciate if you could suggest any other second hand websites that are as good as ebay.

Some sellers offer used 650ti/750ti gpus on sites like olx/quickr for about 5-6k with warranty ranging from none to as long as 2 yrs-i suggest that you check out those sites and see whether you can find something worth buying-if you're lucky,you may get a good deal on an used card at an affordable price with warranty.

However if you wish to go for a new card then you can opt for a Zotac 730 with 2gb ddr3 which would cost approximately 4-5k.

ps.If your current psu ie vx 450 is working fine then there's no need to replace it right now-changing to a cx430 will yield no additional benefits and you'll also be able to save some much needed cash if you dont buy a new psu which can instead be spent on other items such as a better graphics card.

Last edited:
OP
I

isaac12345

Journeyman
Some sellers offer used 650ti/750ti gpus on sites like olx/quickr for about 5-6k with warranty ranging from none to as long as 2 yrs-i suggest that you check out those sites and see whether you can find something worth buying-if you're lucky,you may get a good deal on an used card at an affordable price with warranty.

However if you wish to go for a new card then you can opt for a Zotac 730 with 2gb ddr3 which would cost approximately 4-5k.

ps.If your current psu ie vx 450 is working fine then there's no need to replace it right now-changing to a cx430 will yield no additional benefits and you'll also be able to save some much needed cash if you dont buy a new psu which can instead be spent on other items such as a better graphics card.

Is OLX/Quickr as safe and reliable as ebay? Should I always be buying in person?

As for my PSU, the problem is that I am not sure what caused my motherboard southbridge to malfunction. I opened up my PSU and found that one of the ferrite coils in the PFC circuit was loose. Upon closer inspection it seemed to have a broken connection to the PCB.(Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet , photo 3 and 4) I'm not sure if its a connection that matters and there's no decent power supply repair people that do the job properly with a decent set up like an oscilloscope,load replicator,etc. If they repair it improperly and it ends up damaging the system again, that's another expense. So the safest option , unfortunately,is to buy a new one.

Top Bottom