Please suggest RAM, HDD, SMPS, Cabinet, UPS for an i5 build.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Programming (Java, Eclipse, R, Python, Web development, databases, a couple of web and app server), statistical analysis, Excel, Gaming (older titles, need to catch up on Halo 2/3, Call of duty, etc.), if Intel 4600 isn't enough I'll add a mid-range graphics card later in a month or two.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15-16k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 and Ubuntu

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB or more

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I have an LG IPS 1920x1080 resolution monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Proc + Mobo - Already decided i5 4570 and Gigabyte H87-D3H.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Delhi

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I need suggestions for RAM, HDD, SMPS, Cabinet, and UPS. Thanks for your help.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
kingston hyperx blu 4gb- 2.5k
wd blue 1 tb -4k
seasonic s12ii 520-4.3k/antec vp450p-2.8k
antec gx700-4k /betfenix merc alpha-2.9k
apc 600va ups-2.3k

OP
M

mooseontheloose

Broken In
The thread that helped me decide on the motherboard is here

Guys, I am also open to suggestions on Proc+Mobo. I have this nagging feeling that i5 build is overpriced and an overkill for my needs. If you think so too, please do suggest. I can get an AMD FX 6300 + Asus M5A97 R2.0 for around 14k which is 7k less than 4570 + H87-D3H(around 21k), 50% more costly!!

Suggestion for complete rig:

i5 4430 (12000)
Asus B85M-G (6500)
Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 MHz 4 GB (2400)
WD blue 1 TB (4100)
Antec VP450P (2600)
NZXT Gamma (2600)
Asus optical drive (1050)
APC RS-600 (2200)

total: 33.4k

OP
M

mooseontheloose

Broken In
I will be adding a mid range graphics card ( budget around Rs 10000). Would Antec 450vp be able to handle it?

Would APC 600 be enough for my build and a couple of 23 inch LCD monitors for about 10-15 minutes backup incase of power outages?

I am also wondering if I should build myself or pay an assembler from where I buy to build the machine for me? The one advantage of asking an assembler is that a dead part gets replaced there and then. Any takes on this guys?

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I will be adding a mid range graphics card ( budget around Rs 10000). Would Antec 450vp be able to handle it?

Would APC 600 be enough for my build and a couple of 23 inch LCD monitors for about 10-15 minutes backup incase of power outages?

yes. vp450p will suffice.
why do you want to run your pc for 15minutes with ups battery.? these are meant to give enough time to shut down your pc.i guess 2-3 minute is enough.
also you are likely to run in trouble if you use a non-pure sine wave ups on an active pfc psu for a long time.

> Yes, Antec VP450p will be enough.

> RS-600 has 360W output which won't be enough for >1 23" monitor with a graphic card installed. Though it will be okay for single monitor.

OP
M

mooseontheloose

Broken In
> Yes, Antec VP450p will be enough.

> RS-600 has 360W output which won't be enough for >1 23" monitor with a graphic card installed. Though it will be okay for single monitor.

So basically, plug one monitor into the UPS and the other one into mains directly.

also you are likely to run in trouble if you use a non-pure sine wave ups on an active pfc psu for a long time.

Long time would I guess would mean anything more than 2-3 minutes right?

It's nice and sunny outside in Delhi. Going to go out to Nehru place and get a few quotes on these parts. Let's see how it goes.

Top Bottom