Please Review and suggest my config

Status
Not open for further replies.

som

Broken In
Hi guys i am upgrading my PC :razz: . I have planned to buy it till Jan end. I started my research for the components a week ago :evil:. I have read most of the TDF threads of the last month. Based on that i have i have chosen my config. Please review it and give suggestions on some of the components.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Generic answers will not work. Be exact and avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Casual gaming, Hi-def Movies, Audio, Video encoding :-|

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 52K can exceed 1-2k :?

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 7 64 bit ... Win 8 later

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: :arrow: Not needed

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: :arrow: Not needed have Samsung SyncMaster B2030 50.8 cm(20) wide screen LCD monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: :razz: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, UPS, HDD, Cabinet, speakers, DVD R/W

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Jan end

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes i can assemble

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore ... Mostly online :|

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: My suggested Config

Processor Intel Core i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
RAM Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x 4GB)
Graphic Card MSI 6870
PSU SEASONIC 850W(SS850AT)
Case Corsair carbide 400R
DVD Writer ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD

I have read the reviews of Rashi ASS :shock:. Still i am going for ASUS motherboard since i5 2500k + Asus P8Z68-v pro makes the perfect combination. I will take risk of ASUS :|.

I have already ordered Corsair carbide 400R through Prime APGB(5000)(free shipping now) and Asus DVD writer through Flipkart(1166):razz:.

:-? I am confused in purchasing Gskill RAM. Whether i should purchase 2x4GB RAM or 1x 8GB RAM. I am providing the link please suggest the suitable one for me.

GSKILL 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL)

GSKILL 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL)

GSKILL 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

:cry: One more problem is whether i should buy 850 watt or 750 watt PSU. I have calculated my usage power using ASUS Power supply wattage calculator it is coming minimum 700 watt. I am not sure to buy 750w so i am going for 850w. Please correct me if i am wrong.

I will purchase Pro + Mobo last week of jan & GPU next month. My budget for GPU is in between 10k -15k. Hopefully till next month GPU prices will come down due to launch of 7xxx series in india. :-?
Thanks in advance ... Plz reply

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
IF you are planning to add a second gfx card later then get the 850W PSU - also having a powerful PSU is really useful in the long run and for a ~15k gfx card try to get GTX 560 Ti 448 version or HD6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC ;-)

For Ram get 2x 4GB modules ;-)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
A well researched query. :)

I don't think GTX 560 Core 448 is available in India yet.

But going for a 2 GB version of HD 6950 - MSI HD 6950 2GB Twin Frozr III PE/OC @ 16,000 - like topgear recommended, is well worth the premium over HD 6870.

I have a HD 6950 2 GB myself and I can vouch for that. That 2 GB of video memory is going to help you a lot in future.

OP
S

som

Broken In
Sorry guys i didn't mention that i will never SLI/CROSSFIRE :oops: ..... Being a casual gamer i think 6870 or may be 560 will suffice mine gaming needs .... If my budget permits i will sure go for HD 6950 ... In fact i have calculated my power consumption keeping 6950 in mind ...

I am purchasing my components in phases ... wherever i am getting good deal i am purchasing online :|... Now i am hanged up in purchasing DDR3 RAM and PSU :?...

Luckily i got 150 off :razz: on purchase of more than 1000 on ebay ... I have 2 ebay accounts so i can get 300 bucks off on the purchase of 2x 4GB RAMs as suggested by @topgear from ebay ...

Please help me deciding in between the two

GSKILL 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL)

GSKILL 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL)

What abt PSU?

I am attaching the screenshot of the P8Z68-V PRO Qualified Vendors List. Please suggest the suitable RAM for me....

P8Z68-V PRO Qualified Vendors List

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
For RAM go with first one, i.e. F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL. Thus you will have the option is adding another 4GB RAM & use it as dual channel. Buying a 2X2GB is not a good option IMO. As you will have only 2 other channels left. And if you have plan of going for a large CPU cooler there is a big chance that you can't use the 1st RAM slot of the motherboard.

As for the QVL, forget it. Just buy 1.5V memory modules. (although 1.65V modules would work with SB flawlessly)

OP
S

som

Broken In
For RAM go with first one, i.e. F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL. Thus you will have the option is adding another 4GB RAM & use it as dual channel.

Thanks @d6bmg.. i had no idea abt the dual channel ...i goggled and got a beautiful article [link] about memory. Now i am clear... i will go for
2x F3-12800CL9-4GBXL

But what is the main difference between CL9S & CL9D?

If CL9D is more faster than CL9S then i can afford CL9D as 8 GB will be more than sufficient for me & will not upgrade it for at least 2 years.

Regarding CPU cooler i think i will go for Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ... but later only when i will start overclocking .....

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
But what is the main difference between CL9S & CL9D?

Both have same speed & timings.

Now the last letter meanings:

S= Single module/channel. (1)
D= Dual modules/channels. (2)
T= Tetra modules/channels. (3)
Q= Quad modules/channels. (4)
P= Penta modules/channels. (5)
H= Hexa modules/channels. (6)
S= Septa modules/channels. (7)
O= Octa modules/channels. (8)

These are naming conventions which denotes the number of module(s) included in the package. As for now there is nothing more than 8 channel package available in the market, so, no more extensions.

OP
S

som

Broken In
Ok.. i am going for Double module RAM ... 2x4GB.... (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)...

What abt PSU? I am not planning to CFX/SLI in future..

But going for a 2 GB version of HD 6950 - MSI HD 6950 2GB Twin Frozr III PE/OC @ 16,000 - like topgear recommended, is well worth the premium over HD 6870.

Best case scenario i will go for MSI HD 6950 2GB Twin Frozr III PE/OC @ 16,000 .. so please help me deciding the PSU for the same..

S_V

In the zone
:cry: One more problem is whether i should buy 850 watt or 750 watt PSU. I have calculated my usage power using ASUS Power supply wattage calculator it is coming minimum 700 watt. I am not sure to buy 750w so i am going for 850w. Please correct me if i am wrong.

That's Absolutely Bull **** from ASUS.. With same spec you listed will hardly cross 480 watts at full load....

My Rig itself never comes near 700 watts (Without OC)... at full load... so you are fine with 650 watts....

EDIT: Asus calculated my Rig and Recommended me to use 1200 watts SMPS.... hahahahahaha

If you are not planning to go for SLI/CFX in Future for sure..
Then Corsair GS600 is more than enough for your spec...

But Buying Higher Watts such as 750 or 850 watts SMPS is never a mistake.. So if you don't have Budget Problem get it.... If not stick to 650 watts.....

Last edited:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
@OP-As your are not into SLI/CFX setup.I think a 650 watt psu is enough IMO.Go for this
Seasonic S12 II 620 Bronze@4.6K from here

And for Ram, go for this Flipkart: Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL): Ram
Its 2X4GB Package.

OP
S

som

Broken In
And for Ram, go for this Flipkart: Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 8 GB PC RAM (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL): Ram
Its 2X4GB Package.

@Tenida The price at Flipkart is much higher than Primeapgb :-o.... Is this the same?

SEASONIC 850W(SS850AT) is enough for your purpose, actually more than enough.

But Buying Higher Watts such as 750 or 850 watts SMPS is never a mistake.. So if you don't have Budget Problem get it.... If not stick to 650 watts.....

@OP-As your are not into SLI/CFX setup.I think a 650 watt psu is enough IMO.Go for this
Seasonic S12 II 620 Bronze@4.6K from here

:evil: I think i should take middlemen path .. Neither 850W nor 650W ...
:idea: i will go for SeaSonic SS-750JS 750W 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply :razz:...
Can it handle HD 69XX cards ?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ congrats there. ;)

:evil: I think i should take middlemen path .. Neither 850W nor 650W ...
:idea: i will go for SeaSonic SS-750JS 750W 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply :razz:...
Can it handle HD 69XX cards ?
_easily_ :p

OP
S

som

Broken In
Should i order GSKILL 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) from PrimeAPGB ?

Techniboy

Hello World!!
Should i order GSKILL 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) from PrimeAPGB ?

I think 8GB RAM is overkill for any PC...

I think you should get Single 1x4GB RAM!! G.SKILL RipjawsX or Corsair VENGEANCE

AND what price did you pay for the 400R,? is it a good case??

OP
S

som

Broken In
I think 8GB RAM is overkill for any PC...

I think you should get Single 1x4GB RAM!! G.SKILL RipjawsX or Corsair VENGEANCE

:? Buddy u r confusing me ....

Corsair vegenance has compatibility issue .. so no chance of getting that ...

OP
S

som

Broken In

I ordered it through PrimeAPGB by paying 5,000.00rs .... :razz: took the advantage of free shipping ...

400R is a very good solid case... it has been top rated as the best case for $99...

Contents and Specifications

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Review

Closer look at Corsair Carbide Series 400R

Now i have ordered GSKILL 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ RIPJAWS X (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) Ram for 3,050.00rs from the same :p ...

linuxman

Broken In
Is primeabgb the best place to purchase PC components? I'm planning to buy a PC(Basically processor + MB + RAM).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom