Please help me with two torrent clients and a torrent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello!
I searched for a torrent file on Torrent Finder and selected a 4.4GB file from the list. It had seeders and leechers in excess of a hundred and it showed good health, so I started the download with Transmission. It took three days for me to download about 1.58GB. I had paused and resumed many times in these three days. Today, there was a power cut and after the the power came back, the download started and Transmission showed that only about 425MB had been downloaded and resumed downloading from that point onwards. I paused the download and checked out the size of the downloaded files on my hard drive and it showed 1.58GB. I quit Transmission and relaunched it and then started the download but it still started from that same point.
Then I quit Transmission and opened the torrent file with Azureus. It showed that about 680MB had been downloaded and started the download from there onwards. Note that both the software have been configured to download files to the same folder. So I launched both the programs and now they are downloading the same torrent simultaneously. The folder on my hard drive is the same and it is my guess that both the applications are downloading the files into that folder because Azureus did not make another folder when it started the download. At present, the size of the folder on my hard drive is 2.34GB, so it is increasing, but it is doing so at an incredibly fast rate. I mean, there is no chance that it could have progressed from 1.7GB to 2.34GB in a matter of a few hours on my connection.
So, my question is what is going on? Why did Transmission suddenly show the downloaded size to be four hundred something megabytes? And basically, will I have to re-download the whole thing? I simply cannot do that, it will take another fortnight if I start re-downloading 4.6GB! Please help me!
Thank you!

P.S. - Sorry for the long essay but I did not want to miss out on any detail. I know you guys probably aren't familiar with Transmission. It is just another torrent client, just consider it as such.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Bump...

Ummm... guys, I was in real need of some assistance here.

Anyway, I have downloaded it fully now but it is not working. It is actually a series of RAR files and some parts might have corrupted in the process of downloading. Is there any way I can compare the files on my PC to the original through the software and re-download the ones which don't match?

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
if they are rar file while unzipping them, it will give errors that part no.?....is corrupted, try downloading that part only & save it in a separate folder & once downloaded replace it in the original directory & then try ur luck.

I am not much aware of torrent clients working so cant comment much on that, but try re downloading in a new directory & there is something called hash checking which is meant for confirming the 2 files, I dont know how it works but its meant to check the file authenticity.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Two torrents clients on the same torrent pointing to same location, would certainly create issues. Just stick to one. Remove the torrent from that client, fire it up again and give the same download path. Else use a force hash recheck. I googled and just this is what i found for this software.

remove the torrent from transmission .. go to the terminal .. "touch" the files with the touch command and then reload the torrent in transmission .. it will rescan the files for you at that point

Hash recheck should fix the corruption, otherwise it's the torrents fault. Check the comments of the same from where you are downloading.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK, thanks! I am not touching the Terminal though. I suppose I'll just spend a week or two and re-download the whole thing. :(

Sourabh

Laptoping
lol al right. But I read somewhere while googling that you just have to open terminal, type touch and drag the files you want to force recheck on. Transmission smells something fishy and forces a recheck the next time you run it.

I think you are facing issues because you mixed the two torrent clients. They are safe with respect to the corruption issues, and the hash check is generally not needed. The client takes care of it on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom