Playing HD wmv file in ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

6x6

Journeyman
i tried playing sample HD clip (from windows 7) on ubuntu 9.10, but Totem Movie Player could not play it. then i installed gxine, it played the file but video was not smooth. then i installed VLC media player it played the file fine.

still file is not playing in Totem movie player. is there any way to play it in Totem, as i like the simple interface of Totem.

File detail:
video codec: WVC1 1280x720 @30FPS audio codec: wma2
*img710.imageshack.us/img710/6757/screenshoth.th.png

Krow

Crowman
*hacktolive.org/wiki/Ubuntu-restricted-extras_offline_installer

Try installing the restricted extras from the above link. Its good for an offline machine. I am not sure if it will help you, but still try it and please report. It's 82mB.

Rahim

Married!
^VLC plays the file smoothly; but he wants to play it in Totem because of its simple interface.

Installing the codecs will solve the problem. w32codecs perhaps?

Krow

Crowman
Even I am using Totem Movie Player, but its in Mint 8. I clicked Help>about, it says Totem Movie Player, using Gstreamer 0.10.25. Any use perhaps?

Install all propriety codecs. Totem should e able to play it. I've done that since Ubuntu 8.10 and it's worked every time.

OP
6x6

6x6

Journeyman
^thats what i think, i have installed ubuntu-restricted-extras, gxine and vlc are playing the file but totem could not. may be i have to install w32codecs from medibuntu's repository....
will report back after installing

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
w32codecs may not be the solution but you can instead install totem-xine (search in synaptic) in place of regular totem which uses gstreamer.

Also add medibuntu repository for latest codecs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom