play scratched vcds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweety_bird_bunny

Journeyman
many of u might have noticed that sometimes vcd players which we connect to tv are able to play scratched vcds even without much hanging, but in pc sometimes u can't even start a vcd... why is that??? isn't there any vcd playing software that works just like the vcd players available in the market....

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
i dont know but,
i think the CD-ROM tries to read the whole .dat file. if it fails ... it wont run.where the normal vcd player just read the sector and playes it. and when it fails it stars to skip and sometimes even freezes.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
hmm, vcd's that we play in computer is processed and run with the help of processors...,
when we run these scrashed disks, the procesor actually goes and reads every sector and plays the disk, when it has scratches it stop there and try to read wht is there in that particular sector, and when the disk is not proper, the cd rom does not skip to the next sector untill it reads wht is present in current sector.

but there r some rom drives which plays scracted disk also, my samsung dvd rom plays scraches upto .3 mm.

there r no such softwares to make scrached disk running, (or i dont know it yet...)

Its all the ability of the software part to a xtend.Well the h/w ability is also significant but error correction is mainly a s/w handles issue.
Better the error correction of the s/w better the ability of the h/w player.
For xample if u use programs like IsoBuster etc u can copy movies from scratched vcd on to ur drive but at the same time if u try copyin from the windows xplorer u may not.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Lookie here mate both the Vcd Player Lens and the Cd-Rom Drive lens are of different qualities and are meant for different uses......Vcd player has a sole purpose of decoding only the video discs and may be even Mp3 at some levels whereas the Cd-Rom drive of a Pc is a Multi-Purpose lens which is designed to handle all sorts of discs and the manufacturing also plays a great deal of importance.....My Samsung Vcd Player perfecly detects and plays my Hell Like Scratched The Matrix Vcd but The Cd-Rom Drive refuses to even play it....or even if it plays the Disc then will be sure to hang :D ....so it greatly depends on the amount of the area that the disc has been scratched and if the data area is totally damaged then God help ur Cd-Rom and mate Its really not recommended u dont use scratched Cd's cause some or the other day Its Gonna Go Down Along With ur Cd-Rom.... 8)

PraKs

Youngling
Use these Softwares

Hi

I dont know Funda behind VCD Players & Their Technology

But like to tell

If u have a problem with a CD which is not able to play
then Try these 2 softwares

1 - Xing Player
2 - Video Work Shop

I have both the exe files, Xing player u may download from the net

I Gaurantee u, It plays each & every CD, I have a experiance.
But now Latest version is not available

Video Work Shop is also a good Software to play as well as for cutting the Songs & Scenes from VCD's

Hope u get what u want..

Bye, Take care
God Bless u.

drgrudge

hey PraKs, whatever software u use it is the same..., it all depend s on hardware not software....

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
Dude one practical help!

Becareful while doing this!

Take the soap water foam and apply it over the side which is read by lens.
now clean it with soft sponge till it dry.

now insert it in the drive it will work.

i tried this it worked for me. but some refused to work.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
xenkatesh said:
Dude one practical help!

Becareful while doing this!

Take the soap water foam and apply it over the side which is read by lens.
now clean it with soft sponge till it dry.

now insert it in the drive it will work.

i tried this it worked for me. but some refused to work.

Hey Pal let me give u a word of advice....attempt it if it's the only resort left as Washin with soap water seems like a sensible Idea but rather further increases the scratches on disc to be much more Practical..... :D

vysakh

Padawan
hey scratched cds work in computers but at those parts the picture has no problems but the sound is like a scratching sound

xenkatesh

Bewitched!
The same dude i was doing that to remove the dust in between the scratches so that the cds will get clean. and onething i told to use only soft sponge not a cloth or others to scratch the cds more!!!!!!!!!

drgrudge

this technique was already mentioned by [deXter] if i am correct, also we will have to be careful in drying the cd's

oldmonk

Broken In
dont know- just experience with a bad cd from a local library. try it maybe it works. dont know any funda behind it.

Besides i stopped renting these shitty vcds with camera prints.

pratham_gharat2003

Right off the assembly line
dont try applying water on the disk.
it will cause data loss.
if u have hard disk space, use "bad copy pro" to copy the movie or softwares to ur hard disk.
(its also useful for coping files form damaged floppies)

Well its true tat h\w reads tha stuff.
But its s/w tat helps in the error correction . if there is disk tat is scratched at one end nd pretty ok at the other part then normally some players stop or the sys hangs at tat part.
But s/w with good error correction can copy those or play those skipin tha part smoothly.
I have a few very old disks which r throughly screwed up i used isobuster which cud copy most of the files from it.
Out here the vcd players like those of philips etc have xcelent firmware capablities surely along with good lens tat alow them to play
scratched disks.
I have used 3 drives a lg cdrw a asus 52x rom nd samsung dvdrw.
There r some cds which wer not detected in the old lg drive but wer up in the asus drive at the same time thro win xp.
But at the same time isobuster cud read the same cd from either drive while windows cud not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom