Piracy is Social Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjwal

Padawan
I think Mr Gates instead of giving money for AIDS to cure people who have been themselves immoral in life the same money could be used in bringing down the prices of software for basic home users at least who have not much work at all and use the pc mainly for getting information.To ask a person with a monthly salary of Rs 15k to pay Rs 4k/- for windows and Rs 20k for Office is ridiculous.

I assume you are joking about the first sentance. By the way, nobody is forcing you to pay up for software. Buy it if you like it, else quite complaining. Do you complain this much about the price of automobiles, air fares and what-not, as well?

Sure, companies do overcharge for their products often, but nobody forces you to buy their stuff. Use alternatives.

nats10

Broken In
Reduce the cost of licensed softwares

Companies can reduce the prices of legal softwares.They can make profits by large volumes circulation,that too in a highly populated India it is easy.They can also earn profits through after sales support and service.
This only has happened to the computer hardware industry(very cheap every one has a computer and cell phones).

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Microsoft has helped by Introducing Windows XP Starter Edition for India. Who thinks it will curb piracy?? Pirates will crack it and distribute it freely too.

Whats lacking is peoples knowledge and awareness.

However, if pirates copy a Distro of Linux and distribute it, it is not a crime, but a legal work, as under the GPL (as long as they do not modify it).
Now, this is not a crime, but, social service, isnt it?

DeSmOnD dAvId said:
After thinking about all this controversy regarding rampant piracy, I have come to the conclusion that piracy is not a crime, but social service.

lolz dude
you spread too many controversies....im gonna loot your house today!!!
its not a crime yaar, its just a social service!

thats how you put it...

but yes...i support piracy dude...

all software in my comp are pirated!!!!!(except the 2 online mmorpg games, that i play, that too i hack to cheat in those games...lol)

windoze, office, warez games, photoshop, online games, firewall, gba roms, p2p, non-branded cds, lol i even cheated the shopkeeper to get 100 bucks off on my optical mouse

so 99.99% of my comp software are illegal, and im proud of it...

PS: XP starter edition SUX. read its review on the hindu and you'll puke on the paper.seriously. i'd faint if it sells even one copy.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
Microsoft has helped by Introducing Windows XP Starter Edition for India. Who thinks it will curb piracy?? Pirates will crack it and distribute it freely too.

So you still say this is social service ???

DeSmOnD dAvId said:
However, if pirates copy a Distro of Linux and distribute it, it is not a crime, but a legal work, as under the GPL (as long as they do not modify it).
Now, this is not a crime, but, social service, isnt it?

You got your point wrong out here. As far an the gnu/Linux licencing is concerned, you can distribute copies freely, and you're encouraged to do that. And you can modify the software too.

But as far as Windows (and other proprietary softwares) license are concerned, copying, modifying, distributing are all prohibited. So that's illegal according to their law. So if you wanna use that software, you should obey their rules. Or you have a better choice. DON'T USE IT AT ALL, use a software that doesn't restrict you doing all this.

Satissh S

Youngling
@riyaz: I think he meant GPL there, as it is not modifyable..
@Desmond:
Microsoft has introduced WinXP starter edition to to make people move away from windows.. good for india.
For investing that amt on WinXP starter edition, a person can eat 3 meals a day for a full month and use GNU\Linux with a sense of freedom, security and enthusiasm.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
@Satissh: I'm confused. Is he mentioning modyfying the GPL itself ?

If he's mentioning modifying the software licensed under GPL, he can do that.

2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively when run, you must cause it, when started running for such interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

Vyasram

The pWnster
lmswit . Imagine an avg guy who cant afford a pc , but luckily got one. He'll never buy any software or game, simply becoz hes poor. If that guy pirate's a software , is that gonna cost the software industre.no, coz he wd never buy it. This is not parasitism, itz commensalism. In detail

Mutualism:

A guy who can afford buying software buys them. Both company and the person are benefitted
company +
buyer +

Commensalism
A guy who cant afford stuff like that pirates. The person gets benefitted. But the company doesn't lose becoz there was no real chance of that guy buying that software.
company 0
buyer +

Parasitism
A ri9ch guy who can afford the software very well pirates. The person gets benefitted. the company loses due to piracy b'coz had the software not been cracked or copied , that person wd have definitely bought the software

pirate +
company-

So i strongly suggest that companies must give free software to home users coz many cant afford original software. the companies can use ridiculous anti piracy methods like the one used in tally for businesses and keep them in check by sending authorities . Companies can afford it and they'll buy the software. so everyone will be happy :D

casanova

The Frozen Nova
So i strongly suggest that companies must give free software to home users coz many cant afford original software. the companies can use ridiculous anti piracy methods like the one used in tally for businesses and keep them in check by sending authorities . Companies can afford it and they'll buy the software. so everyone will be happy

And wat if the richies show EBC certificates to get free softwares. Its frauds that needs to be curbed at first place.
Curb frauds and piracy would be curbed out.

kato

Karthiksn
Commensalism
A guy who cant afford stuff like that pirates. The person gets benefitted. But the company doesn't lose becoz there was no real chance of that guy buying that software.
company 0
buyer +

You got that wrong there company does loose here as someone pirated a copy which decreses their sale. And when you dont have any money to buy Expensive software why should you even buy the pirated version when someone is giving an alternate for free

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
GNUrag said:
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
GNUrag said:
And you risk being caught while using pirated software.

Billions of people use pirated software. Is it possible to catch all of them?
You are not in the US of A, where you can get jailed if your neighbour mere complains about you being in posession of pirated software.

well plz mention the per capita income of us also. they even have unemployment allowance even for uneducated. we have no employment even for educated forget about uneducated.

anandk

Distinguished Member
if piracy is social service,
then common theft would b called social work...?!?!
then what would such common theives be called...social workers :?

stealing clothes bcoz u dont have somethin to wear;
or food because u r hungry;
or plain rape bcoz u like someone...
is still a crime.. :evil:

lets not kid ourselves ! piracy is a crime !
theres a lot of freeware going around. switch to it.

shashanktyagi1

Journeyman
I think Mr Gates instead of giving money for AIDS to cure people who have been themselves immoral in life the same money could be used in bringing down the prices of software for basic home users at least who have not much work at all and use the pc mainly for getting information.To ask a person with a monthly salary of Rs 15k to pay Rs 4k/- for windows and Rs 20k for Office is ridiculous.

aids isnt only in immoral ppl. hope u have got some basic knowledge to see ad's on tvs.

iBrood

Broken In
Piracy is stealing but it's so suttle one hardly feels it. It's like spending money from a credit card is far more comfortable than cash. You know you're spending but it just does'nt hit you.

You kow you're stealing but it just does'nt hit you.

insanekiller

Broken In
Hey dood (the starter of this string) :wink:
Ur views are damn correct :x
Piracy is a kinda REvolution
Its objectiv is to reduce the cost of original stuff in a small way
Ever since hardcore piracy start'd many companies have startd reducing costz :shock:
And by the way what ever do the mods think about this eh??
its good to hear some HONEST UNBIASED kinda opinion. :oops:

B4 piracy was started there was no Open Source few freeware
But due to the Xtreeem opposition providd by OPen source freeware and piracy, Original companies have got to reduce costs or Vsoon V will C an era when Original companies will B bankrupt and Only the SuperRich will buy original stuff 8)
the Common man will do with freeware or pirated software.
Piracy is a BOOON
Yes IT IS
IT will help reduce Software prices in da long run
YEEAAAAAAAH! :arrow:
MAYBE SOMEDAY I WILL be able to buy Norton Systemworks and Original WINXP :D

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
With free softwares having better capabilities than paid sotwares in market. i think there's no need of software piracy. intead it is not gud. it wont make u have d same s/w at low price instead it will hurt its development.

just as taj is not the only hotel in the world, adobe -photoshop, ms - windows r also not the only s/w in market.

also, u wont get a free hotel but a free s/w.

yet u dont pirate a hotel but a software.

c'mon start usin ur brains.

and yeh abt entertainment piracy, i dunno wat to say abt it.

i dunno if it is hurting the movie makers or not. i dunno if it is gud or not.

i think its gud cos one cant buy a cassette or cd every now and then costing 70 to 90 each and u can get similar for free,

i think its bad cos its illegal. will u b happy if ppl start stealing money from each others house to fill up their entertainment needs.

i cant get to a particular decision when thinkin over music and video piracy and hav no other reason 2 say if it is bad or it is gud. confused over it...

abracadabra

Journeyman
just think 4 a moment.. one day u were to write u r own software and put it forward to the masses and finding that u get an over whelming response and later notice that whatever time money spent is going waste due to the pirates out there selling at free or for cheap rates. wouldnt u b annoyed.

people who say free software / open source.... may i ask u .. do u do it as a social service to become famous one day or as just to join the band wagon of people already out there who wuld lyk to have their software reviewed tested and keep them free of bug holes. and as for people who say open source .. u still make a money in sum other way to keep u going in thiz technology world

insanekiller

Broken In
Hey but certain people say that theefs and piratz R same
Dat ij estupidd.
THIEFs HARM COMMON PEOPLE PROFIT THEMSELFS :evil:
PIRATES HARM CHEATING RICH COMPANYZ PROFIT POOR PEOPLE NOT THEMSELFS 8)
IT is ABSOLUTELY MORAL.
Ever HEard of ROBIN HOOD STUFF :roll:
Well they did the same thingz :D
irrelevant perhaps but to da point :!:
>>>>>>>>>>

Vyasram

The pWnster
I agree with u casanova . But not with what kato said.

The company doesn't lose anything. The person who is not that rich wd never buy that software no matter what coz he don't have any money. If he pirates that software, he gets benefitted , but the software company doesn't lose as they are not losing a potential customer who wud buy that software coz he is not rich. Thus commensalismn is different from parasitism

I wud really appreciate if ms gives windows starter edition for free to ppl who have low end hardware. And say that ppl with high end hardware sd opt for paid versions. Thus frauds can be caught and prevented as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom