Phone under 35k

I've been going through a lot of online reviews and I must admit regretting that I didn't consider Xperia ZR early on. It certainly seems better than N4 to me, given that it has a better battery life, camera, card slot and removable battery without much of a price difference. One minor gripe though: Will it be receiving the KitKat update?

I agree S4 is a better phone but it will cost me almost 10k extra. Is the 10k difference worth it?

Sony is not good in providing updates, so considering ZR has 4.1, it will get upto 4.3 for sure

S4 is worth 10k more if u can afford otherwise ZR is great for 27k
S4 is available for 34k, i think

randomuser111

Technomancer
4.3 for ZR has already been announced.

On Android Jelly Bean 4.3… | Blog Portal - Sony Smartphones

4.4 will also be made available since it uses the same hardware as Xperia Z.

If you can afford the S4 then do go for it, in the long term you'll receive more OS updates with it being a flagship model and also has a better camera and screen. :)

OP
varuog

varuog

Journeyman
S4 is worth 10k more if u can afford otherwise ZR is great for 27k
S4 is available for 34k, i think
The cheapest I could find S4 is for 35275 and ZR for 26864 /-

If you can afford the S4 then do go for it, in the long term you'll receive more OS updates with it being a flagship model and also has a better camera and screen. :)

So, spending around 9k more gets me the following :
1. More Updates : Definitely an edge over ZR.
2. Better Camera : ZR's camera is not that bad either. Moreover, the saved cash can fetch me a dedicated camera which I am sure will take better pictures that S4. So no use spending 9k more for better camera.
3. Screen : Yah, S4 has a bigger and better screen. Agreed. But is the difference that huge? Moreover, I have small hands and I really think a smaller phone would fit better in them.
4. Battery : From what I get from the reviews, S4 has a better battery too. But then again, its just a minor enhancement given that ZR's battery doesn't really suck.

Now, the positives of ZR over S4:
1. Cheaper
2. IP55 and IP58 certification : Though this is not a deal breaker, yet it always more comforting to carry a phone that is resistant to dust and water.
3. Looks : This one is a matter of personal choice. S4 looks pretty much the same as it's predecessors and this is my major complaint with Samsung. Personally, I like ZR better in looks, esp the illuminating light bar at the bottom.

Please correct me if I went wrong somewhere or missed any point.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
The cheapest I could find S4 is for 35275 and ZR for 26864 /-

So, spending around 9k more gets me the following :
1. More Updates : Definitely an edge over ZR.
2. Better Camera : ZR's camera is not that bad either. Moreover, the saved cash can fetch me a dedicated camera which I am sure will take better pictures that S4. So no use spending 9k more for better camera.
3. Screen : Yah, S4 has a bigger and better screen. Agreed. But is the difference that huge? Moreover, I have small hands and I really think a smaller phone would fit better in them.
4. Battery : From what I get from the reviews, S4 has a better battery too. But then again, its just a minor enhancement given that ZR's battery doesn't really suck.

Now, the positives of ZR over S4:
1. Cheaper
2. IP55 and IP58 certification : Though this is not a deal breaker, yet it always more comforting to carry a phone that is resistant to dust and water.
3. Looks : This one is a matter of personal choice. S4 looks pretty much the same as it's predecessors and this is my major complaint with Samsung. Personally, I like ZR better in looks, esp the illuminating light bar at the bottom.

Please correct me if I went wrong somewhere or missed any point.

If you ask me Samsung has managed to fit a 5 " screen in a compact form. Even s4 is smaller than s3. Also the screen of s4 is any day any time over ZR.

randomuser111

Technomancer
@ varuog

Go to a Croma or similar store and get a detailed hands on experience with both. Then choose whichever you like more. :)

OP
varuog

varuog

Journeyman
@ varuog

Go to a Croma or similar store and get a detailed hands on experience with both. Then choose whichever you like more. :)

Yah, that seems the best thing to do at the moment.
I'll go to the store and check both the phones side by side to see which one suits me more.
Right now I'm inclined towards ZR.

dude1

Journeyman
4.3 for ZR has already been announced.

On Android Jelly Bean 4.3… | Blog Portal - Sony Smartphones

4.4 will also be made available since it uses the same hardware as Xperia Z.

+1000...
Whooo random suggesting sammy over sony, somethings really wrong:p

Yah, that seems the best thing to do at the moment.
I'll go to the store and check both the phones side by side to see which one suits me more.
Right now I'm inclined towards ZR.
The diffrence between xperia zr screen and of S4 is simple. S4 has way,way better screen(super amoled +Full hd nothing gets better:razz: ). Also You can see that if you get S4 u won't need a point2shoot, as u just want some casual photography.
See this dpreview the most detailed S4 cam review.
In the conclusion they say "With its 13MP CMOS sensor the Samsung Galaxy S4 produces very good detail in bright light that can rival many consumer compact cameras".
*connect.dpreview.com/post/0586582857/samsung-galaxy-s4-camera-review

Last edited:

ankush28

Bazinga
According to recent news nexus 5 will launch in next month...so if you are intrested wait for it...
it will have lots of new features afaik...

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I'll answer this with another question, "Why a Lumia 920/925 ?"

Because except for the gaming part, it fits your needs well ?
And looks quite stunning, especially the 925 (but only 16GB)

But since you dont seem too interested in WP, I'd also recommend the ZR/N4.

OP
varuog

varuog

Journeyman
The diffrence between xperia zr screen and of S4 is simple. S4 has way,way better screen(super amoled +Full hd nothing gets better:razz: ). Also You can see that if you get S4 u won't need a point2shoot, as u just want some casual photography.

I don't think you have justified the differences between ZR and S4.
Agreed, S4 is a better phone than ZR but there are areas where ZR has its own advantages.
Right now, the screen is more of a matter of personal priorities.
Do I really need a super amoled + Full hd screen ?
My answer would be NO. Certainly not by paying almost 9k extra.

As for the cam, I believe ZR's camera should satisfy casual photographers. If one wants better, why not opt for a dedicated camera itself ?

The only point that S4 tempts me at the moment is probably the updates part. But i guess I'll have to settle on that.

According to recent news nexus 5 will launch in next month...so if you are intrested wait for it...
it will have lots of new features afaik...
I can wait for it. But I highly doubt that even if N5 launches next month, it'll be available in India.

Because except for the gaming part, it fits your needs well ?
And looks quite stunning, especially the 925 (but only 16GB)

But since you dont seem too interested in WP, I'd also recommend the ZR/N4.
Yah, I am not really interested in WP.
Also, N4 was my first choice, but it's battery issues are making me stay away from it.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
Agreed, S4 is a better phone than ZR but there are areas where ZR has its own advantages.

As for the cam, I believe ZR's camera should satisfy casual photographers. If one wants better, why not opt for a dedicated camera itself ?

The only point that S4 tempts me at the moment is probably the updates part. But i guess I'll have to settle on that.

I can wait for it. But I highly doubt that even if N5 launches next month, it'll be available in India.

Yah, I am not really interested in WP.
Also, N4 was my first choice, but it's battery issues are making me stay away from it.

Zr screen is washed out. That screen will left u with desires. S4 has a superb vibrant screen. Even optimus G has a superb screen than ZR. Plus Samsung is having more developer + manufacturer support. It will for sure get 5.0 and next update also. Zr is having low internal mem.
And nexus 4 battery.... I don't know why u are so worried. I am using it. Its decent. U r looking at re review those are with older software vers. First ask a real user ur any friend who is using N4. Rest is ur choice.

dude1

Journeyman
Zr screen is washed out. That screen will left u with desires. S4 has a superb vibrant screen. Even optimus G has a superb screen than ZR. Plus Samsung is having more developer + manufacturer support. It will for sure get 5.0 and next update also. Zr is having low internal mem.
And nexus 4 battery.... I don't know why u are so worried. I am using it. Its decent. U r looking at re review those are with older software vers. First ask a real user ur any friend who is using N4. Rest is ur choice.
Agreed..

OP Did u read the review at the end of my last post?
If yes, then don't u think getting one device over the two,doing work of both(better in phone dept. comparable in cam) ,at the same cost,with extra benifits as updates and battery, ultimately justifies the device?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Agreed..

OP Did u read the review at the end of my last post?
If yes, then don't u think getting one device over the two,doing work of both(better in phone dept. comparable in cam) ,at the same cost,with extra benifits as updates and battery, ultimately justifies the device?

Thats a weak argument. No camera phone is really 'comparable' to a dedicated point and shoot in all departments (If anything only the 808 or the 1020 even come close to being it with the massive resolution and oversampling and OIS). OP may be able to get a 4x optical zoom, 10mp Canon for something like 8K and have better photos on the camera and better battery life on the ZR (no photos right?). The only downside I can see to this is that the devices are separate and that may hinder his intentions. But then if 'casual photography' was the idea, then the ZR isnt all that bad anyways. That effectively removes the S4 from contention if OP is fine with having two devices.

So, I have this friend with N4 and while he isnt a heavy user, his N4 has pretty nice battery life for all I know. If it really bugs you that much, why not get a N4 + a portable battery pack + a PnS (If you REALLY think the camera sucks and you NEED more) and still end up using less money than the S4, getting better life and getting better photos and getting better updates ?

EDIT: Have a look here and then decide for yourself regarding battery life:
*blog.gsmarena.com/sony-xperia-zr-f...ck-in-the-pool-while-you-look-at-the-results/
*blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-battery-tests-are-done-heres-how-it-did/

dude1

Journeyman
Thats a weak argument. No camera phone is really 'comparable' to a dedicated point and shoot in all departments (If anything only the 808 or the 1020 even come close to being it with the massive resolution and oversampling and OIS). OP may be able to get a 4x optical zoom, 10mp Canon for something like 8K and have better photos on the camera and better battery life on the ZR (no photos right?). The only downside I can see to this is that the devices are separate and that may hinder his intentions. But then if 'casual photography' was the idea, then the ZR isnt all that bad anyways. That effectively removes the S4 from contention if OP is fine with having two devices.

So, I have this friend with N4 and while he isnt a heavy user, his N4 has pretty nice battery life for all I know. If it really bugs you that much, why not get a N4 + a portable battery pack + a PnS (If you REALLY think the camera sucks and you NEED more) and still end up using less money than the S4, getting better life and getting better photos and getting better updates ?

EDIT: Have a look here and then decide for yourself regarding battery life:
Sony Xperia ZR battery life test breakdown - GSMArena Blog
Samsung Galaxy S4 battery life tests are done, here's how it did - GSMArena Blog

It maybe... but if OP agrees that's it...
Does OP need an optical zoom?
A portable battery pack with N4 ???
And the links to battery life test u have given are for the I9505....

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
It maybe... but if OP agrees that's it...
Does OP need an optical zoom?
A portable battery pack with N4 ???
And the links to battery life test u have given are for the I9505....

Yeah, a lot of whst I said is just opinion and its really upto OP to decide.

Same with the battery pack idea - I am definitely not concerned with the N4's battery life but if he really thinks is that bad, I just pointed out that there are options available, as OP seems hesitant to shell out more cash.

OP may or may not NEED optical zoom, but having it surely isnt a bad thing.

From what I know the battery life of the S800 powered S4 is marginally better than its Exynos counterpart. So it doesnt make much of a difference.

The only reason I'd not buy a N4 is its restrictive 16GB of space. The camera is much less of a worry.
*www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=3&idPhone1=5048&idPhone2=5125&idPhone3=5421

Last edited:

randomuser111

Technomancer
The camera on the S4 isn't a major jump from the ZR. Both use the very same Sony Exmor RS camera module. The S4 is better but not by a significant margin and definitely not in the same league as a dedicated camera. :)

The camera on the S4 isn't a major jump from the ZR. Both use the very same Sony Exmor RS camera module. The S4 is better but not by a significant margin and definitely not in the same league as a dedicated camera. :)

^^That's true, but u would like the camera options which S4 offers..........

randomuser111

Technomancer
Optimus G is also a good choice and I think has better battery life than Nexus 4 but -

If you care about updates you shouldn't buy it as now it's been more than a year since it was launched and has received only 1 OS update 4.0 to 4.1.2.

There is no word from LG about the 4.2.2 update, forget 4.3. Same thing also applies to the 2013 LG flagship - Optimus G Pro. Still stuck on 4.1.2. No hint of 4.2.2 in sight when other flagships from Samsung, HTC and Sony are on 4.2.2 since long and are getting 4.3 next month onwards.

Top Bottom