curioustechy

Journeyman
I've scanned a document and as my scanner is having provision to save directly as a pdf file, I did that. But later on when I searched a word in that document, though its there it didn't turn up. One of my colleague told that you have to convert the scanned pdf files to OMR format. What is that? How to do that?

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Thats not OMR, its OCR. All scanners save files in an image format. In your case the image was converted to pdf so it can't find any words. Google for OCR softwares (although most free ones won't work for more than a few pages)

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Ominipage will do. My AIO has it in installation disc. One Note too has the option but OCR is very inaccurate, you will spend a good time editing even if it is a one page document.

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman
Thats not OMR, its OCR. All scanners save files in an image format. In your case the image was converted to pdf so it can't find any words. Google for OCR softwares (although most free ones won't work for more than a few pages)

thanks for correcting me.. so can u suggest a good swfr - i dont mind spending if i find a good one..

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
You can try google goggles too if you have an android phone with a good camera. Its not very good but it should do the job for small amounts of text.

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman
Which PDF reader do you use ? Are you able to find words in other PDF documents ?

i use adobe reader. i dont have any other...i think as suggested below i have to use an ocr software no matter what reader i use

You can try google goggles too if you have an android phone with a good camera. Its not very good but it should do the job for small amounts of text.

thanks... i think my galaxy note will work well as a scanner. im gonna install it on my phone

meetdilip

Computer Addict
thanks for correcting me.. so can u suggest a good swfr - i dont mind spending if i find a good one..

Ominipage will do. My AIO has it in installation disc. One Note too has the option but OCR is very inaccurate, you will spend a good time editing even if it is a one page document.

Ominpage is good but as I mentioned, it is only some 70 % accurate. It may read " may " as " mav " and similar.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Cybertonic, do not use free OCRs. They are unbearably erroneous. Tried all before getting Omnipage with printer. :(

Top Bottom