PDF distribution on internet using Free PDF makers legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTM

Right off the assembly line
I am going to publish an online journal. I want to give pdf version of the webpages on my site. Please tell me whether I need to purchase Adobe software or whether I can make use of the pdf files created by other free pdf makers. Will it be legal to distribute the pdf files created from free softwares on the internet?
Please help me.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Yes, its legal. U r distributing ur work only, so it is legal. Adobe Acrobat is just a software, purchasing it is not necessary, instead u can use many free softwares. And yes, u can distribute ur PDF files on the internet.

OP
T

TTM

Thank you all for replying to my query. Now I am at ease with my task of publishing a journal. Thanks again and again.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
YES
I use it for publishing my work (search on this forum ;) )
PDF used to be a a proprietary format, but was officially released as an open standard on July 1, 2008, and published by the International Organization for Standardization as ISO 32000-1:2008
Ref:
1. *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdf
2. *www.pdfpdfpdfpdf.com/2008/10/download-iso-32000-1-document-for-free-from-adobecom/

OP
T

TTM

Thank you again. Please send me the link to your site. I have openoffice and tried to use its pdf making feature. But it works only on my computer. You are right to say the future is open and you will be happy to know that my journal allows OPEN ACCESS.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Thank you again. Please send me the link to your site. I have openoffice and tried to use its pdf making feature. But it works only on my computer. You are right to say the future is open and you will be happy to know that my journal allows OPEN ACCESS.

I really do not quite understand what you mean.

I said I use Open Office to make pdf files. Some of them are on THIS forum. For example,
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99864

You also say,"I have openoffice and tried to use its pdf making feature. But it works only on my computer."

Really?! How come?! If you are looking for a portable version of open office see here
*www.portableapps.com/
You can carry it on your pendrive and use it in any Windows PC.

mrintech

Technomancer
^^^

I used Open Office for converting files to PDF but it is somewhat bad in preserving the actual format. For me Do PDF rockz :)

OP
T

TTM

I agree with you that it is bad in preserving the format. What happened with me is the following:
1. I converted some files using Save As feature.
2. Then I uploaded those to my server.
3. When I tried to access, it returned that the file was corrupt.
4. I was afraid that perhaps using this feature was not legal.
5. Then I sent it to another e-mail address of mine as attachment and the file was not found.
6. I thought it was meant to be for single user since the files are still fresh and fine on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom