PC very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak24

Broken In
My PC is running slow from the past 4-5 days. whenever i run a game it just dies. My pc runs fine if i run any application or movie. When i checked the system configuration utility i saw an entry "dumprep 0-k". Anywayz i unchecked it and restarted my PC and i am still facing slow speed issues. I dont understand whether its an hardware or software issue or if its a virus.

Kindly help
Thanks

pkt3000

Broken In
can u please check in WINDOWS/system32 folder if checkdsk.exe is present or not?

better use a software called speedupurPC2.0

anandk

Distinguished Member
do the usual first !
run ur antivrus and anti-spy in safe mode. run ccleaner. run checkdsk and defrag ur harddrives. also reduce ur startups. see *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7879&highlight=start+faster if all fails post ur hjt log. for more on dumprep click *www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/dumprep_0_k-1449.html

OP
A

ak24

Broken In
I did a virus scan , checkdsk.exe is present, reduced startups, and also disabled error reporting... but still i am facing the same issue... is this a hardware error ???? will my PC work fine if i format my system ???

anandk

Distinguished Member
formatting is ussaually a slotion-for-all probs :D but get ur hjt lof auto-analysed at www.hijackthis,de or post it here b4 u take a decision.

kin.vachhani

Dreaming Future
best way is to use hijack this and trace all unwanted services and programs....
then use ccleaner for cleaning the registry...
Is the best way to do it

OP
A

ak24

Broken In
Formatted my PC and everything is working fine now ..
Thanks

ankushkool

Youngling
after using de PC for some time it always gets slow, so i hav 2 format de entire PC then it works fine. why does this happen? please suggest me some utilities 2 keep my PC in best condition. i m using Tune up.

Last edited:

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ One main coz is that the file is split into diffrent sectors of the HD and if these sectors are far away from each other, then the PC becomes slow as these parts are difficult to reach. For this use Disk Defragmantation.
Other option: Use Linux.:D

Its only coz of these reason that I stopped using windows. machine becomes slow and you need to format the PC after every 6-7 months, although there are ppl whose PC just dont go slow!!

ankushkool

Youngling
after using de PC for some time it always gets slow, so i hav 2 format de entire PC then it works fine. why does this happen? please suggest me some utilities 2 keep my PC in best condition. i m using Tune up.
is linux de only sol 2 my problem??? r there no tools available in xp 2 solve this prob.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ There are solutions.
1)Use Disk defragmenter from start>Programs>Accesories>System Tools>Dsk Defragmenter.

If you have a jumbo HDD then it will take time (on SATA it will be faster than IDE but still it will take quite a time)
Better is that you start your PC in safe mode before doing this as the other programs in the background tend to start the process of DD all over again.

2) Few years back I used a program called "system mechanic". It had a dsk defragmenter, registry cleaner and more things to speed up the PC.

3) Never install the programs in the same partition in which you have installed your OS.

You can use all the programs in the system tools one by one. I dont remember all of them but they will surely help you.

Right now I cant think of more solutions but doing DD will sure increase the speed.

ankushkool

Youngling
cynosure said:
^^ There are solutions.
1)Use Disk defragmenter from start>Programs>Accesories>System .....

2) ...

You can use all the programs in the system tools one by one. I dont remember all of them but they will surely help you.

Right now I cant think of more solutions but doing DD will sure increase the speed.

r de MS windows tools good enough???

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^ Yes the M$ tools are "kaam-chalau" but you see the third party softwares are always better.

Norton SystemWorks is also good. Buy it. It has many programs to speed up your rig. Monthly checkup using systemworks will keep your PC in good condition.

I mean I have used both the softwares prescribed by me (Systemworks and System Mechanic) and they worked fine (if not wonders) on my PC.

ankushkool

Youngling
but norton comes in entire package n installing it seriously effects system performance

Status
Not open for further replies.