i5 2400
asus p8h67 m
corsair vengeance 4X1 gb
some 500 gigg hdd
dvd drive
powercolor ati hd 6790
gs800 psu

tell me only the necessary upgrades
my budget is least possible as i haven't asked my dad bout the upgrades yet, and i don't want him to get reluctant as soon as i mention a high price

my mobo crossfire compatible, and so is my psu, so advice accordingly

i use it gaming and only gaming

this is only upgradation i don't need monitor kb mouse ups speakers

Cilus

laborare est orare
just get another 4GB ram and you are good to go. Your configuration is really very good and there is no need of upgrading it now.

draco21

Dragon...Dragon...Dragon.
^^
Exactly

you may even not get anything.4gb is enough for normal gaming afaik.....

think about upgrading when the newer processors hit the market(if they are worth it which we will soon find out)

upgrading now will only spend u a lot of money without much of a performance upgrade.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Apart from adding another vengeance module you can't really do anything with your setup..

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
is my processor good enough?,

and how much more time before GFX card becomes outdated?

after that if i crossfire ( confused between another 6790 and 6850) how long will my config last?

i'll add another vengeance ASAP

can i sell the processor alone(i don't have the box or any manuals, lost them all) i just have the processor and the stock heatsink)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually I read your Graphics card as HD 6970 istead of HD 6790... my mistake.

There is no point of Crossfire of two sub 10K cards, especially when new generation cards are available. You can sell of this card and get a HD 7870 around 16.5K (Sapphire Dual Fan version, Kolkata Price). Your CPU is powerful enough to handle all the CPU intensive tasks and gaming for now and in near future too.

draco21

Such a cf would not help a lot.....

processor is very good indeed and you dont need to ditch it.....

just wait one more year. By then the gpu would be completely outdated and at that time and hopefully prices of gpu would have gone down. Then you can upgrade

You should not ditch components before extracting the last juice out of it....

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
i'm not sure i get what u mean to say??????????????

i initially convinced my dad to buy such a high end psu just so that i could easily crossfire in future,

PS:- the rig is not even a year old

Post meant that CF of 6790 wouldn't be great thing at all... ( not to quote problems of CF like stutters etc..)

Also save & invest a bit more later cause yours config is already very good

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's obvious that everything is working fine otherwise you would have asked something like "i can't play this game in this resolution with these settings so what should i do". why are you even asking for upgrades in the 1st place?

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
Post meant that CF of 6790 wouldn't be great thing at all... ( not to quote problems of CF like stutters etc..)

Also save & invest a bit more later cause yours config is already very good

but it would definitely be better than the single card(7850) plus wouldn't it be a wastage of my psu. i would really like to test out a crossfire.

put rest all aside and tell me if i crossfire another 6790 how long would my config stay without GFX card cusing any troubles

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
How is it wastage of your PSU????

Remove thought that 6790 CF is better than HD 7850....
Troubles?? what troubles are you talking about...

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
it's obvious that everything is working fine otherwise you would have asked something like "i can't play this game in this resolution with these settings so what should i do". why are you even asking for upgrades in the 1st place?

that's because i live in boarding school (haven't been home in a long time) my brother reminded me that he thinks we should upgrade the pc. never occured to me why he would mention such a thing.....

draco21

WTF???

tell you what sell the gpu and get a 7850 or else dont do anything as anything else will NOT give you better performance or make your pc future-proof....

WTF???

tell you what sell the gpu and get a 7850 or else dont do anything as anything else will NOT give you better performance or make your pc future-proof....

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
How is it wastage of your PSU????

Remove thought that 6790 CF is better than HD 7850....
Troubles?? what troubles are you talking about...

buy wastage i meant that it won't be any use that i bought a high end 800w psu.

buy troubles i meant that without causing any lag in future games at gud settings at 1080p

i don't mean to be ignorant to your suggetions but i still don't get what are the advantages of 7850 over another 6790

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, Multi-GPU setup does have both cons and pros and Crossfire or SLI of two lower end cards does have more Cons than pros. The main problem is known as Micro-Shuttering which makes the game play experience choppy even when you are getting good average FPS. AMD CF does have more prominent problems with it than nVidia SLI. Long back Tomshardware has had performed a review showing unless cards like HD 6870 (minimum) or HD 6950 (recommended) are Crossfired, the CF setup suffers from good amount of Micro-Shuttering, resulting very poor game play experience. So it is not advised to build a HD 6790 CF setup and instead getting a newer card like HD 7850 is abetter option as it will offer better and hassle free experience even at lower FPS.

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
Buddy, Multi-GPU setup does have both cons and pros and Crossfire or SLI of two lower end cards does have more Cons than pros. The main problem is known as Micro-Shuttering which makes the game play experience choppy even when you are getting good average FPS. AMD CF does have more prominent problems with it than nVidia SLI. Long back Tomshardware has had performed a review showing unless cards like HD 6870 (minimum) or HD 6950 (recommended) are Crossfired, the CF setup suffers from good amount of Micro-Shuttering, resulting very poor game play experience. So it is not advised to build a HD 6790 CF setup and instead getting a newer card like HD 7850 is abetter option as it will offer better and hassle free experience even at lower FPS.

are you sure that its micro shutter and not micro stutter

according to a quick google search no one noticed a micro stutter in 6790, and nvidia seems to have more problems like that..?????????????????(confused)

could you guys possibly post some links to videos demonstrating this or some forums or other threads?????
(all to my specific card if possible)

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
are you sure that its micro shutter and not micro stutter

according to a quick google search no one noticed a micro stutter in 6790, and nvidia seems to have more problems like that..?????????????????(confused)

could you guys possibly post some links to videos demonstrating this or some forums or other threads?????
(all to my specific card if possible)

probably a mistake......(microshutter)

one cannot experience stutter on single card it is problem of dual GFX setup(which may be case of 1~2 % of members, of which no one might have a low end CF)..

OP
R

rabjabber

Journeyman
probably a mistake......(microshutter)

one cannot experience stutter on single card it is problem of dual GFX setup(which may be case of 1~2 % of members, of which no one might have a low end CF)..

yeah and above that it happens only when two graphic cards are clocked at different speeds

still confused

Top Bottom