My present config reads as
Q8400 Quad Core (OCZ Freeze frequently)
Intel DG45ID (Entertainment series)
4GB DDR2 800 MHz
500GB 7200.12 Barracuda
9500GT 1GB DDR3
Corsair VX450
KB+Mouse+Optical Drive.

My usage, is well, quite intense at times. I bought this PC back in 2009 July for a premium of ~50K! And no wild guesses here, its still is a rocket as it was back then but then along with increased load on hard disk and CPU intensive application such as 3DS Max, AE CS6, photoshop running all at a time, along with internet exp and chrome opened, it feels like android, lagging up! My work requires me to be full on with applications ravaging the joy up.
Although photoshop still runs good, rendering in 3DS Max and AE CS6 becomes PITA sometimes. Yeah, games run quite well in medium and high settings. and I have never seen temp going beyond 87C even at the fullest of loads..without any TP cooler!

So long story short, I am contemplating an update since long..or should I?

My workarounds as I think -
Increase RAM to 8GB or
Increase HDD to 1 TB or
Change MB or MB+CPU
OR
Sell it, go for a crazy ass i7 lock, stock and barrel!

If latter, what should I expect for my current PC config?

Need your great help! And oh yeah, sorry for the repetitive thread title, can't think of any!

d3p

PowerHouse
Very much tough question to answer here.

First thing, DDR2 to DDR3 has significant performance difference. Upgrading to 8GB DDR2 might be helpful for few more days, but not for a long time.
Secondly, DDR2 is costing higher day by day & other hand DDR3 is going cheaper like crazy.

TBH, I would have upgraded to a Good GPU, instead of complete upgrade in this scenario.

Think of getting a GPU like HD 7850 or 7870 [16k-22k]. Complete upgrade to current IVY or SB will surely set you a minimum of 40k+, which depends on your usage.

A complete NEW RIG will be good enough for another couple of years with a good GPU.

Fill the below questionnaire for more optimum answers.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
First of all thanks for reply.
Secondly, kindly care to explain me the GPU swap recommendation, as I don't see any need for it. I would rather update whole rig :) ...
As for the questionaire...
. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: Dual purpose, official (Adobe Creative Suite CS6 parallel with 3DS Max, Gaming..uh, at times GTA4, MP3, Mafia, Crysis, COD: BO et al. )

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:Well I plan to sell my existing rig off, so after that at the very max 40K!

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes!

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 7 Ultimate

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB+

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I guess 18.5" suffices!

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Need help in deciding

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Soon within 1-2 months

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Self built !

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Delhi, yeah yeah.

11. Anything else which you would like to say: Is this questionaire ever going to end?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Very much tough question to answer here.

First thing, DDR2 to DDR3 has significant performance difference.

Not a correct statement.

Current Config can still hold good for an year or so minimum. 8 GB ram would help with Photoshop and other rendering stuff but putting money in DDR2 is not a wise step. New motherboards support DDR3 only hence at the time of upgrade you will suffer. I would recommend to use the config for another year and then buy a i7 based config.

OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
Not a correct statement.

Current Config can still hold good for an year or so minimum. 8 GB ram would help with Photoshop and other rendering stuff but putting money in DDR2 is not a wise step. New motherboards support DDR3 only hence at the time of upgrade you will suffer....

Well I can sell it off anyways later, can't I? Especially with that highlighted 8 GB RAM, this is going to be a flypaper for the buyers! :razz:
and do I have any other options left then?

d3p

PowerHouse
Not a correct statement.

Current Config can still hold good for an year or so minimum. 8 GB ram would help with Photoshop and other rendering stuff but putting money in DDR2 is not a wise step. New motherboards support DDR3 only hence at the time of upgrade you will suffer. I would recommend to use the config for another year and then buy a i7 based config.

It completely depends on the Memory Controller here.

A DDR2 RAM with tighter timings [CL5 or CL6] is of no match with todays DDR3 1333 CL9's. Even with the C2D's & C2Quads. There's no much offerings in terms of gaming, but rendering do have much of impacts.

Now the suggestion, Upgrading 8GB DDR2 in todays market condition might not be a wish move. with price point of view as well as futureproof [talking atleast for another 2-3yrs].

But here in the above case, GPU also play a vital role. Not only for gaming also for renderings in 3DS Max.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Can you back it up with a Test Result? There are gains from DDR2 to DDR3 but in no way they are "significant" & by significant I mean its is noticeable by end user.

d3p

PowerHouse
^ refer this old post from Anandtech.

AnandTech - DDR3 vs. DDR2

Also the bandwidth DDR3 offers with the current gen configs gives you more advantage than the old LGA775 with DDR2.

Here is another link : *www.tweaktown.com/articles/1782/amd_phenom_ii_ddr2_vs_ddr3_performance/index5.html

AMD Phenom II with both DDR3 & DDR2 Memory sharing the same Memory controller.

Have a look at the results in the above link.

Now imagine, when a DDR3 is paired with a First/Second/Third Gen intel lineup, what can be the performance difference.

I would say, rather fighting for "Significant Performance issue", better if you can guide OP with some valuable suggestions.

@OP: With your existing Config even a high end GPU might get bottlenecked [Cpu will be the reason of it].

If you have money to spend & get a futureproof rig for another 2-3yrs, then sell it off & get a new one.

Even if you're tight with budget, 8GB upgradation won't help you much with rendering part with a 9500GT.

Last edited:
OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
Great Share man, cleared a lot of doubts.
Seems like I better wait, gather some moolah and go in all for a beast at once and for all.

Last question, expected price for my current rig?

d3p

PowerHouse
Share your Config details properly in the below thread.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/bazaar/139625-how-much-can-i-sell-my-old-stuff-22.html

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
DO BAATIEN HO SAKTI HAIN:-D
1. If you're not willing to spend too much, you could try changing the motherboard itself. There are motherboards available for LGA 775 processors (and since yours is a Core 2 Quad Q8400, I feel it has enough firepower still left in the arsenal). Better opt in for a new motherboard based on LGA 775 socket, and DDR-3 ram. Your DDR-2 ram is, I feel, quite a bottleneck for your PC's performance. Change the mobo, get yourself 2x4 GB DDR3 (1333) ram, and I think, it should be enough. Doing this, you should be spending somewhere between 6-7K.
2. If you don't have a "strict budget" kind on consideration, go in to change the whole rig.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Bhatiaji.... duniya bhar ke mobos hain koi si bhi online shopping site khol ke dekh lo (LGA775 filter use kar ke):-D

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
2% to 5% increase in real world as per those links....and anyway you can't put i Core proccys with DDR2 and yes we can take this argument elsewhere.

@ OP: @ 40k You can get this.

Processor Intel i5 2400 : 11000
Motherboard:Intel DH67CL : 5600
RAM:Corsair value(1333MHz) 4GB :1300
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB : 5500
Monitor: Benq g2222hdl : 7500
Graphic Card:Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 : 9000
Total= 40000 Approx.

Assuming:
1. Keep VX450W as its sufficient
2. Keep existing Optical Drive & KB/Mouse
3. Keep existing Cabinet

Last edited:
OP
S

shashankm

I reign hell..
@ OP: @ 40k You can get this. - 40K ........
I have 40K exclusing the money I will get on selling the PC I've!

Anyways leave it guys, decided will wait for time, gather some moolah and go for the best available riggers of that time (~6 months later)

Top Bottom