Broken In
My Pc Config

Intel Core i7 930 2.8 GHZ
MSI x58 Pro-E
Corsair XMS3 2x1GB 1333 MHZ
ATI RAEDON 4650 1GB DDR2
APC 500 VA
CORSAIR VX450

from last 2 days my PC has got unstable... until then it was superb....

Problem :

When ever i boot my pc it just boots up to the desktop screen,
then in a matter of 2-3 minutes, shuts down as if some one pulled off the power plug. This is the 1st time i am experiencing this issue.

1. To check if it was the fault of the power cable from the ups i put the smps in direct line. : Yet same problem persisted.

2. Checked both the ram's one at a time. No issues.

3. In Bios Selected the Restore defaults (minimal).

4. Now when ever i am in the bios its the same problem (shuts down) even.

5. Last time it was 1:35 hrs i left it for running untouched.
then i ran u video in VLC and a song in itune. System Shut Down

I some how collected some Info from the Bios

i. CPU Core Temp..............: 79 c
ii. IOH Temp....................: 64 c
iii. System temp...............: 42 c
iv CPU Fan Speed.............: 2015 RPM
v CPU V Core..................: 0.986 V
vi 3.3 V ........................: 3.296 V
vii 5 V...........................: 4.876 V
viii 12 V.........................: 12.144 V

please help me out......i am just feed up wid this.........really irritating.....

:cry::cry::cry:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Power supplies like corsair have this on their circuit design that if the system is pulling a lot of power from the unit that beyond the unit's capability, it shuts down. If the system can't switch on in the first place, that means something is not connected. I am not saying this is THE solution, but keep this in your mind if you have exhausted all the methods that other members have provided. You could always try installing the new bios. MSI's current bios updates reminds about the days when asus used to release many bios updates for ram/processor compatibility/stability.

On the side note, I really don't like msi boards at all. X58-E's socket is no badly put up on the PCB. I found that there is a small space between the processor and the securing mechanism, even after installing the heatsink, it gives an impression that there's not much contact. If you know about thermal paste and how they spread after a certain load depending on the surface difference between the processor's IHS and heatsink base, you'll probably know what I am saying. Same issue with this IOH and other heatsinks. Very bad surface contacts that you see people using washer mods in such boads.

P55-GD85 is probably the only "near decent" board I've seen so far but nothing much to consider it as a first option. Not that I am saying they are all THAT bad (E, 55 and 65- avoid IMO for now), but usually not considered in my book unless there is no choice (and now- there's ALWAYS a choice).

Last edited:
OP
bozx

bozx

Broken In
@The Sorcerer : i haven't checked the CPU paste .... it will be my last option to open the CPU socket....

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@bozx, run your PC. as soon as it turns off, restart it, go to BIOS & check the temperature of proccy. if it is 8*degree (*=0-9). than know, you another victim of MSI's poor build quality.

OP
bozx

bozx

Broken In
i. CPU Core Temp..............: 79 c
ii. IOH Temp....................: 64 c
iii. System temp...............: 42 c
iv CPU Fan Speed.............: 2015 RPM
v CPU V Core..................: 0.986 V
vi 3.3 V ........................: 3.296 V
vii 5 V...........................: 4.876 V
viii 12 V.........................: 12.144 V

this is the info....you need.....

so wats in this pls enlighten....

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
for me it looks to be problem with the processor HSF. 79degree is too high. even if its i7 9**, that temperature should be way lower. check if the HSF vibrates or is loose or if theres any visible gap between the HSF contact area & proccy heatspreader.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ The gap is not visible. Like I said, one will know about it once they see how the thermal paste is spread over the IHS, assuming one knows about it.

The problem is with MSI in common is that there's no proper contact and enough pressure between the IHS and the heatsink between the IHS because of the securing mechanism. Also the IOH needs to be done with a washer mod.

To know about the washer mods for x58-e, take the following link below:
My X58 Pro-E IOH temp story...
MSI X58 Pro-E IOH temperature - XtremeSystems Forums

If you're wondering, MSI and Palit have a habit of giving a really good quality and stuff that can give good overclock/voltage/temperature to reviewers but retail pieces are a different story.

MSI boards I've seen use since p45 come with ridiculous thermal pastes on their boards which is as good as bad as a a thick clay. You should have chosen better boards which come for similar price. There's always UD3R, but asus x58 sabertooth turned out to be a great board for that price.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I know this will sound difficult to do. Download "RealTEMP installer" from a cafe/friends house on a USB stick. Stick it on your system and boot to Windows. Immediately install this file. Probably your system will conk-off. Now boot in again, and quickly run RealTEMP to read the temperatures. It should shut of again...!

Tell us the temperatures. I am more concerned about run-time temperatures vs. BIOS.

OP
bozx

bozx

Broken In
tnx for the replies.... but now my pc doesn't stand up till the windows logo ....

just halts event in the bios... so no way testing the "RealTemp"

I also noticed that the real temp doesn't support my AMD athlon II x2 250 3.0 GHZ
@asingh i have another PC and two broadband connections.....

2dy i opened the proc socket wid the heat sink... and found very lil amount of thermal paste. a thin layer in the middle of the proc......

Another strange thing.... its started to be cold here but when ever i boot my PC even after 5-12 hrs and 1st open the bios the "CPU Core Temp is always 79 c" why is this so.....

OP
bozx

bozx

Broken In
yea i can wait...

Sorry but currently i don't have any means to transfer pics from my cam.....
i will try 2moro...... but that much is sure that its really very thin for a thermal paste to have really worked...

but all these 5 months it was running gr8.... wid constant run of 2 months without any problem non-stop.....

i think its a SMPS problem rather than heating issue...
also my question unanswered that why is the CPU core temp always 79 c....

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I also noticed that the real temp doesn't support my AMD athlon II x2 250 3.0 GHZ

for AMD you need use CPUID HW monitor. Real Temp doesn't support AMD.

2dy i opened the proc socket wid the heat sink... and found very lil amount of thermal paste. a thin layer in the middle of the proc......

this means the HSF isn't having a good contact with the proccy heatspreader (else there will be a layer of TIM throughout the proccy are, even if the layer is thin).

Another strange thing.... its started to be cold here but when ever i boot my PC even after 5-12 hrs and 1st open the bios the "CPU Core Temp is always 79 c" why is this so.....

update bios.

but all these 5 months it was running gr8.... wid constant run of 2 months without any problem non-stop.....

i think its a SMPS problem rather than heating issue...
also my question unanswered that why is the CPU core temp always 79 c....

3 possible reasons:

1. proccy overheating.
2. bios.
3. faulty PSU.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Errr....there is always a thin layer of thermal paste after its being used >_>"
But the possibility of the issues is the similar conclusion as above, with the same order its arranged :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Errr....there is always a thin layer of thermal paste after its being used >_>"

but he mentioned its in the middle. its like a drop of paste & a gentle tap from a finger, not something flat (heatsink's base). no even spreading of TIM. anyway lets wait till tomorrow before he uploads pics. its better to understand the situation than talk like a stupid (which i did) :-|

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I once just had the problem like this. Exactly the same problem you are having. Believe me, it was irritating. It turned out, my CPU fan was culprit. It didn't sit properly on the Proccy and not to mention that caused thermal compound to go crazy.

I'll suggest, staying in the bios for as long as you can. It is the only way to find out if the temps are increasing or not. But, most of the time... you'll see radical changes in temps when CPU is in stress. So, you won't be seeing anything fast and facy as you are just in BIOS. Just keep it under hardware monitor for few minutes or may be hours and try your luck. I'm 90.54798% sure that there is some issue with either your fan seating or thermal grease.

All, the best.

OP
bozx

bozx

Broken In
*thumb.phyrefile.com/b/bo/bozx/2010/11/15/300/DSC01535.JPG
*thumb.phyrefile.com/b/bo/bozx/2010/11/15/300/DSC01537.JPG *thumb.phyrefile.com/b/bo/bozx/2010/11/15/300/DSC01539.JPG
*thumb.phyrefile.com/b/bo/bozx/2010/11/15/300/DSC01542.JPG
*thumb.phyrefile.com/b/bo/bozx/2010/11/15/300/DSC01543.JPG

i have used another SMPS but the asme problem existed...
Now "3. faulty PSU." its not the case....

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I guess you have tried everything in the book. If possible try another GPU, else RMA the board.

Also try a CMOS reset.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
This is a common msi issue on few boards I've seen and its not isolated to a production batch. A thick patch of thermal paste is sitting on the centre of the processor- like I said, improper contact pressure. Common problem and so the problems I've seen on msi boards, it was on intel chipsets (maybe because the pins are on the socket and no holes on the processor- but you don't see that being practised by other manufacturers. You can go ahead and RMA if you want to but if I were you I would get the board changed by the dealer.

OP
bozx

bozx

Broken In
@asingh : i don't have any access to other GPU (which i think may b the culprit) , i will try removing the gpu and start the PC and then check how long it just stays ON.....

RMA : if i am to do so 1st thing 1st i have b confident that the problem is within the board not other peripheral's.

So i will do some more testings..... to please my self....

I were you I would get the board changed by the dealer
I have bought this PC from Bangalore (A very Reputed Store), now i have shifted to Bihar......
it will be tough for me.... if not impossible....

2moro i will buy some Thermal Paste and lay a new layer . Does it need to b a lil bit thick.....

will changing the heatsink at all will do any gud to me..... (I don't want to)....

Top Bottom