Pc to for for 24X7

fatalcore

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:Downloading and storeing data.
2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:yes
3. What is your MAX budget?
A:10-15
4. Planning to overclock?
A:no
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:winxp barebone/win 7 if it can bear
6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:2-4 tb
7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A:1024x768
8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:5
9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:myself
10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:Min september
11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:If this pc runs for 24X7 , I really dont have any idea for how much days will it stand still
12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:lcd/No speaker for this system/meyboard mouse
13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:kolkata
14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:This pc will be running like a personal server entirely for my use.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Athlon II X2 250 3GHz @ 3K
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H @ 4k (try find a cheaper board)
2Gb DDR2 from A-Data or Kingston @ 2.2-2.4k
Western Digital Caviar Green 2*1TB @ 7k (will cost less)
Zebronics Bijli with bundled PSU @ 1.5k

Total: 17.7-17.9k.

oops i overshoot your budget big way. well go for the slower proccy at 2.5k & 740G board from Gigabyte costing around 2.5k. this will bring total to 15k.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
2 - 4 tb space is difficult in that budget. Here's my suggestion -

Intel Atom (go for cheapest you can find) - 4k (max you should go for)
RAM 1GB DDR2 533MHz (usually atom mobos use such low frequency, check on your atom before buying ram) - 1k (go for second hand from good brand for Rs 500> if you can't find it. Many people selling it at bazaar section)
2 TB HDD from WD or seagate - 7k
Zebronics cabinet + PSU - 1.5k (mini-itx ones - blossom/nick/anna)
DVD writer from Lite-on / Samsung - 1k

Total - 14.5k

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

@Sam - He's going to run his PC 24X7 without any resource heavy usage so don't you think atom will be a much better option ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
atom can be used. for downloading atom is a good choice. but running as a server, i not sure if an atom can handle it. a molecule is better. i mean a dual core.

also cheapest dual core (Athlon II X2) + 740G or 780G will cost him just 1k more than atom. well the extra performance may never be used. so its upto fatalcore to decide.

OP
fatalcore

fatalcore

Journeyman
I dont want an amd configuration for this system...i want intel....

Yesterday my uncle got a new PC and insisted for AMD , and honestly my system and his system was running side by side.

My intel was quieter and the amd was noisy
intels overall set up was cool but amd was in boiling point within 1 hour......Great god....I dont understand why AMD people shout that the stock fan in good and AMD Pc's don't get hot.

Now I think its worth investing in Intel than amd.....honestly.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
what config your uncle got? my quad core runs at 40degree most of the time. if you go for an old (Athlon 64 X2), proccy will run red hot. newer Athlon II hardly touch 50degree (only under load).

yes, i agree AMD's fan is small. but the heatsink is tall. Intel's heatsink is big but really sallow. so according to me. Intel or AMD. heatsink same. you can surely go for Intel Dual Core + G31/41. total price will be same.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
err... I think the noise might have been the fault of the PSU or Cabinet fans. And my AMD never heats up that much (Athlon X2 3600+). My PC is currently running for around 3 and half hours and proccy temperature is 43 & 46 degrees for both cores. And I don't even have extra fans on my cabinet. Are you sure your uncle didn't have a graphics card? (I have seen 2 Intel Desktops regularly and have never seen them running below 45 degrees)

At that budget, you can only get outdated-outdated stuff from Intel even though you might argue that it wouldn't be bad for downloading.

So here's my suggestion:

AMD Sempron 140 @ 1.8k (low TDP of 45W)
Biostar A780L @ 2.7k
1 GB DDR2 RAM @ 1.2k
Zeb Bijli - 1.2k
FSP Saga II 350W - 1.5k
WD Green 1TB x 2 - 7k

Total - 15.4k, well within your budget

look here: techPowerUp :: AMD Sempron 140 2.70 GHz Review :: Page 11 / 13
see the bottom of the page, 33 degrees at load

Considering the load, you don't need a branded PSU. But since it is a 24x7 on system, better get one for stability and longer life of components.

For extending the life, keep the surroundings as cool as possible (CRTs generate a lot of heat, so don't leave it switched on). Switch off the PC for 10-12 hours once in a week. Clean the insides of the cabinet once in 2-3 months to keep it dust free and maintain good air flow. Keep a space between the 2 hard disk mounts, don't mount them one on top of the other.

That's all I have to say.

O one last thing, if you need a performance boost in future, you can unlock the second core on the sempron to make it an Athlon II X2 processor!

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

1TB Caviar green is available in primeabgb.com for 3150 (can't say if it includes tax). So that will bring the total within 15k

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD Athlon II x2 250 @ 3k
Biostar A780L3 @ 2.7k
2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 2.5k
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB * 2 @ 6.6k
FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k
Zebronics Cabinet @ 1k

Total - 17.3k

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
@jas
that looks good too, but wouldn't it be nice if he used a sempron as they are much more energy efficient. As the rig will be 24x7 on, so I suppose using an energy efficient processor makes sense. DDR3 can be considered.
In the sempron review mentioned above, there was some talk about reducing the voltage and saving power further while maintaining the same clock speed.
Also, WD green is better for a download rig as it runs cooler.
Well, maybe we should leave the decision to the op and wait for him to reply.

pegasus

Journeyman
If you want something just for downloading and are better of using just one main computer, i have seen some guys with powerful gaming rigs use netbooks for downloading instead of assembling rigs with Atom integrated motherboards.
eg. Samsung N128 (was 13.5K)

Some upgrade the internal HDD if they are unable to transfer downloaded data regularly.
Some transfer daily/regularly and some use external HDDs with existing config.

Pros-
- Very low on power consumption-
- efficient
- Very low on heat and noise
- compact and space-saving
- Battery backup
- Free LCD screen+KB+mouse :p

Cons-
- 1 year warranty
- not upgradeable

But if you want a download rig + media server, i guess the only option will be to get a full-on desktop computer.
But that may double up as your HTPC too. :)

Last edited:

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
@fatalcore - please elaborate what do you mean by a personal server so we can understand the topic better

Top Bottom