Skillz

Broken In
My config --

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13ghz

Gigabyte G41

Corsair DDR 3 -- 4gb

FSP Saga II -- 500W

Msi 460gtx Cyclone -- 1gb

I am having a weird problem... My computer doesnt boot when i first press power button, the fan inside starts spining for around 10secs then it stops. After trying multiple times it boots normal, but it completely shuts down itself as if somebody have pulled the plug from behind and it happens randomly. I dont what the problem is ? It cant be over heating as my processor is fitted with Coolermaster heatsink. my idle temp is around 40*C and load is around 65*C. I have tried to start without the gfx card but still happening, i have also tried to power up in another socket, same thing.. I know my pc is old which i will be changing end of year... is it my psu ??

Thanx in advance !!

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Most probably it is a problem caused by RAM module.
1. Reset BIOS
2. Run Memtest86+ and see if there is any error with the RAM module or not.

androidfreak

Broken In
I have the exact issue with my system too which started three days ago. The common thing between your PC and mine is FSP Saga II 500W PSU. The PSU is the culprit here. I have temporarily installed a local PSU and have ordered a Cooler Master GX450W 450Watts PSU. The system is working fine on the local PSU.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
Its not psu.. I replaced my FSP saga with my old local psu but same thing happening again. I am so frustrated. I have cleaned everything inside out Now i am quite sure its my motherboard. What do you say ?

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I have the exact issue with my system too which started three days ago. The common thing between your PC and mine is FSP Saga II 500W PSU. The PSU is the culprit here. I have temporarily installed a local PSU and have ordered a Cooler Master GX450W 450Watts PSU. The system is working fine on the local PSU.

How I read your situation:
You had a somewhat good PSU. You are using worst possible PSU and you have ordered another bad PSU.

funskar

Padawan
How I read your situation:
You had a somewhat good PSU. You are using worst possible PSU and you have ordered another bad PSU.
:hyper:

androidfreak
Saga is better than cm gx series..
see the psu blacklist thread for newbies..

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
Guys please help... Its not starting up. its so random .. it shuts down randomly during post or listening to music surfing or gaming.. How much warranty does gigabyte motherboards ?? Mine is just 6mnths

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ 3 years warranty on GBT mobos and CM GX series ( Op has bought it so no turning back now ) is decent :
Cooler Master GX 450 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Naxal

Little Kid
@OP

Monitor the temp of not just Processor but other places also, check with temo monitoring software and see if your motherboards N/S bridge is heating up ??

I have similar issue with my older Nvidia 650i based board, while cleaning or installing new RAM i accidentally unhocked the second Heat sink over the N/S bridge and that was lose. Which was heating up and thus causing the issue !!

androidfreak

Broken In
^^ 3 years warranty on GBT mobos and CM GX series ( Op has bought it so no turning back now ) is decent :
Cooler Master GX 450 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Well i read the same review before getting this. My FSP Saga II 500w died in just over two years, therefore FSP is in my personal black list now :eek:

Moreover the 5 yrs warranty given by Cooler Master pulled me more to selecting this.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Guys please help... Its not starting up. its so random .. it shuts down randomly during post or listening to music surfing or gaming.. How much warranty does gigabyte motherboards ?? Mine is just 6mnths

Borrow a corsair PSU from any friend, test your system.
Otherwise you can also send the motherboard for RMA.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
i already checked with my old psu, same old result.. Please tell me a software to check my N/S temp.. cause i am using everest and its not showing anything on ns..

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
i already checked with my old psu, same old result.. Please tell me a software to check my N/S temp.. cause i am using everest and its not showing anything on ns..

1. Check temperature from BIOS.
and, you completely ignored my suggestion of running memtest86+

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
@OP

Try taking out the CMOS/BIOS battery then start the PC after that shutdown again , then place the battery in then start again ! may some values in BIOS may not be changed .

acewin

Point Blanc
yes try resetting through BIOS. This sounds more like a BIOS issue or mobo has problem in power supply jack.
Also try clean up and checking RAMs one by one in all the slots.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
guys I tried everything i knew, did everything you guys told me to do even tried running memtest which failed !! but i did ran the bios memtest result came with no errors few days back. the temp of both the cores are well below danger limit.. but still coudnt find the reason behind shutting down itself..

now to my horror my pc is now completely dead for last 4 days.. no bios no display nothing.. i even tried starting up without ram and gfx card got nothing no beep at all.. absolute silence.. i am frustrated to my core... so i took upto computer repair shop just to get a professional view.. they also agreed that its a motherboard failure and told me to get it replace in gigabyte repair center.
Now what i want to know, can i ask for a better series like p43 or g43 based motherboard coz i am afraid it might happen again if they replace or repair it.. I am wiling to pay whatever extra money for those series.. if i can ? do tell me some good motherboard from gigabyte on 775 socket..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you will get a motherboard based on your current chipset and it's on sell and available on the market - so no chance for a upgrade option.

OP
S

Skillz

Broken In
Ok.. One last think i want to know. Is my psu (FSP Saga II 500W) enough for running MSI 460gtx or should i change ??

Top Bottom