PC problem: PC starting automatically!!!??? Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

In the zone
Hey people, I have this problem & needed advice. I have this computer, a Celeron 500 MHz, Mercury motherboard, etc. Since today morning its starting up automatically, that is, I don't even have to press the power on button. I just turn the electric switch & it starts up. It detects the hdds & cdroms & then says cmos checksum error & stops booting. However, when I go to BIOS & restore the default setting, save & restart, it starts up fine. What the hell could be the problem. Its pretty clear that is not a software problem of any sort. I checked out that the CPU fan is busted & needs replacement. Thats a problem for sure, that explains the constant freezing also, but is there anything that I should be checking here?. I mean should I try replacing the SMPS too?. I mean why is the system starting up on its own???. Please help & give me some advice.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Thanks for the advice mate. looks like I have a multitude of problems to deal with. First of all the faulty fan, then somethings wrong with my SMPS, also now i believe that my system timer battery is also busted. Whew!. I don't know whats next...

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Unless you have a spare SMPS on hand, I'd suggest replacing only the CMOS battery first. The battery inside a 500MHz computer will be on its last legs unless you've replaced it before. That's probably the reason for the checksum errors.

Also the power button could be sticking erratically in the 'on' position. I say erratically because, if it were stuck all the time, your computer will power down again after a few seconds. I've seen this happen before.

One way to check this would be to remove the power switch connector from the motherboard header and see if it still turns on by itself.

bravefart

Broken In
Ohh so many probs come to my head from that info of yours but dont bet on it that it is surely a hardware prob; dont forget the Inbuilt CMOS software maybe it changed because of human error ofcourse expiry of CMOS battery could do the same. Best indication of CMOS battery losing is juice is when your computer clock starts losing time . If its lagging date man come on wake up mate and I thought am the laziest bum in the world Yawwwwn.

Peace V

OP
B

borg

In the zone
Thanks to all.
Yeah people, my CMOS battery is dead & buried for sure. The sys date shows year 2000. That might explain the CMOS checksum errors But one last thing to figure out is the automatic startup.

I don't think the button is a problem pimpom. It just fine. Anyway will check out both the SMPS & battery & will post the findings. Once again thanks to all.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
8) no need for thanx nd all m8..!!!....thats what we r here for....

oops by the way....shhhh.....dont tell nyone...
iam accepting thanx in the form of gfx cards,RAM chips etc...do u need my postal address?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom