PC Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

C Nagaraj

Broken In
I want to learn video editing with Adobe Premiere 6.5. It is only for hobby. I do not want to spend more on the PC.

In my PC there are 2 hard disks, 40 GB and 160 GB. There are plenty of bad sectors in the 40 GB hard disk and OS is not booting from this. I also need more space for video editing. At present I am running with only 160GB Hard disk. The OS is XP - SP2

1. Can I add one 250 GB SATA drive to my PC in place of 40GB, PATA?
2. What modification reqd. for Power cable of IDE to connect to SATA Hrd Drive?
3. What about the data cable?
4. Can I add Graphic Card, Palit GeForce 9400 GT Super (cost Rs. 2525 - Nov Digit)? or do you suggest Geforce GTX 210 or Geforce GTX 220?
5. How about the LCD Display as the present monitor is not having Anti Glare shield?

The specification of my PC is given below.

CPU Name: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ , Max Clock Speed : 1800Mhz, Socket 939,
Motherboard: ASUS A8V-MX, SMBIOS Version: 0210, BIOS Date: 9/5/2005, RAM: 512+512 MB - 400Mhz (960 MB + 64 MB of Video Ram),
Hard Disks: 1. 40GB (Segate) - Damaged (Many bad sectors)
2. 160GB (Segate)
Monitor: LG Flatron E700SH
Internal Modem for Dialup: VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter
External Modem for BroadBand: Data ONE Broadband ZTEφ - ZXDSL 831 AII

Pl let me know is it possible to carry out the above modification and will it not be sufficient for my purpose.

C. Nagaraj

Cilus

laborare est orare
Your system config is very low end which is not suitable for the work u have mentioned.
Your M/B does not support PCI express Gfx card since you are having AGP 8X slot. The best AGP card u can get is ATI 3650 1 GB DDR2 @ 4k. U can also add 250 GB PATA HDD to it. But remember, they are costlier tnan their SATA counterpart.
But there is no point to upgrade this system.
Go for a new one.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
1. Can I add one 250 GB SATA drive to my PC in place of 40GB, PATA?
Yes you can.

2. What modification reqd. for Power cable of IDE to connect to SATA Hrd Drive?
Look for molex to SATA power convertor.

3. What about the data cable?
Didn't understand the ques clearly. If u r thinking of connectiong SATA HDD with data cable then the ans is no, u can't. Like IDE cable for PATA drives there is a SATA cable which connects SATA Drives with SATA ports on mobo.

4. Can I add Graphic Card, Palit GeForce 9400 GT Super (cost Rs. 2525 - Nov Digit)? or do you suggest Geforce GTX 210 or Geforce GTX 220?
No you can't. Ur mobo and proccy is very old. As Cilus said ur mobo doesn't hav any PCI-E x16 slot. All the cards u mentioned are PCI-E x16 card. Though u can opt for PCI/AGP version of those cards(if available) but it'll be a complete loss.

5. How about the LCD Display as the present monitor is not having Anti Glare shield?
Depends on u.

The specification of my PC is given below.

CPU Name: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ , Max Clock Speed : 1800Mhz, Socket 939,
Motherboard: ASUS A8V-MX, SMBIOS Version: 0210, BIOS Date: 9/5/2005, RAM: 512+512 MB - 400Mhz (960 MB + 64 MB of Video Ram),
Hard Disks: 1. 40GB (Segate) - Damaged (Many bad sectors)
2. 160GB (Segate)
Monitor: LG Flatron E700SH
Internal Modem for Dialup: VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter
External Modem for BroadBand: Data ONE Broadband ZTEφ - ZXDSL 831 AII

The final word will be what Cilus suggested. Upgrade it if u can.

Last edited:
OP
C

C Nagaraj

Broken In
Thanks for both Clilus and Krishnadu for the advice.
I have installed a 500 GB SATA HDD as I got it for Rs. 2700/-.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom