PC is extremely slow takes longer time to boot

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have PC with the following configuration
1 GB RAM
Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz
60 GB Internal IDE HDD

I find that off late my PC has become too slow. I have also scanned the PC using Antivirus to make sure if there are any viruses, trojan etc. However even after this my PC continues to be slow.

Are there any other things that I Can try to make it faster? Could there be some malware etc hiding somewhere which would inhibit my PC working as its supposed to be.

Neuron

Electronic.
Mention your OS and antivirus also dude.The common thing you can try is defragmenting your HDD.

Gollum

Collector
Go to device manager and check whether your hard disk is running in udma or pio. If its pio then the computer will take a long time to do anything. Use diskkeeper to defragment your hard disk.

Prince Sinha

Daniel Prince
Check this out

One of the main causes of booting XP slowly is the method of loading drivers.Windows version prior to XP loaded drivers sequentially , but since XP , it has been done concurrently , causing slow down.This information is written to the file C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\Layout.ini.While creating this file, XP does a partial defragmentation of the files listed in Layout.inito make them available in one contiguous area of the hard drive , allowing to load them faster.Various factors adversly affect this defragmentation process , such as fragmented hard drives , improper defragmentation of the above files by regular defragmenter , etc.It is therefore do this defragmentation manually using a utility from Microsoft known as BootVis , available at *www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664. Extract the ZIP file and run BootVis.exe.

The first step in tweaking your boot process is to run a boot trace. Go to file > New > Next Boot + Drivers Trace. the trace Repetitions window will prompt you for the number of repetitions (reboots and traces) to run. Let's go with the defaults: click OK. BootVis will cancel the reboot if you need to save your work , then reboot.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Mention your OS and antivirus also dude.The common thing you can try is defragmenting your HDD.

Operating System; Windows XP
Antivirus: Bit Defender

also uncheck the necessary startup items. but that IDE HDD maybe culprit.
IDE HDD being the culprit? How could this be the case?

Go to device manager and check whether your hard disk is running in udma or pio. If its pio then the computer will take a long time to do anything. Use diskkeeper to defragment your hard disk.
Thanks for your suggestions will try this out.

I remember some of my friends who are not too much into PC trouble shooting etc would suggest formatting the HDD. Do you think that's a good option to go for? Normally I avoid it unless I have to do it in worst case.

Also one more thing I hadn't used my PC for several months could that be a factor as well.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, reinstalling Windows is the universal solution to all Windows problems.

Gollum

Collector
Don't format your hard disk. If the computer disk is not running in
dma mode then the computer becomes extremely slow.

Gollum

Collector
Just search for the ide controller to which your hard disk is connected and then see whether its dma mode is enabled or not.
If it is running in pio mode and the system does not allow you to turn it back to dma, then you will have to uninstall that ide controller. after that you will need to restart your computer so that windows rebuilds/enables the ide controller. Now it will work in dma mode.
Another method is to open up your computer and remove the connections of your disk and trying to boot without a hard disk. Of course the pc won't boot but the next time you reconnect the hard disk the computer will start working dma mode.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

this can be a problem. BitDefender isn't the lightest of A/V. disable it (not uninstall) & tha use your PC for an hour (without connecting any pendrive or net. keep virus away).

IDE HDD being the culprit? How could this be the case?

PATA HDD are usually slow. add to it, you installed a power hungry A/V.

well, reinstalling Windows is the universal solution to all Windows problems.

100% guaranteed solution.

:lol:

Neuron

Electronic.
Here is a great app. i used to speed up my xp.

Do the following tweaks

Under 'Memory And File System'

Faster Shutdown -Enable
Clear Prefetch Folder
Defrag Boot Files
Ultra Fast Booting

Under 'Hardware'

Enable UDMA-66 - Enable

Last edited:

Gollum

Collector
Udma6 should be supported by his hard disk. Since he mentioned that he had ide hard disk, i doubt he would be able to do that.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
First defrag pc, then install another antivirus like avast, antivir etc because no antivirus have 100% detection rate.... And install some speedup software like tunexp, system mechanic.... Lots of such tuning software available now .... I think problem will be solve to some extend....
OR
format and install windows ( one of the most boring work)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Small Correction the Anti Virus is Bit Secure not Bit Defender.
When I used PC earlier very often I never had any issues with regards to booting up or after booting up the speed etc. It's only when I kept it aside for some months without using that this problem started.

If nothing works out then I will go ahead and reinstall XP but that is some task so I was trying to avoid it. I have to again reinstall every software.

Doomsday

Broken In
Fragmentation of the boot files and system files (especially MFT) could definitely contribute to slow booting. So check for fragmentation and defrag if required; there are good commercial automatic defragmenters with free trial versions that you can download and use without restriction for a month. These will defrag system files, boot files, etc.

julius43

Right off the assembly line
It's only when I kept it aside for some months without using that this problem started.

Hmmmmm I think the problem maybe due to dust accumulation in your cabinet. Open it, strip your cabinet to the bone and clean each part carefully esp the cpu fan. It worked for me one time back. Good luck

Top Bottom