PC hard resets on running graphic intensive software and games.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My PC started having this problem recently. Whenever run any game or benchmark tool, my PC hard resets, i.e. completely poweroffs and then restarts after about 2 seconds. No BSOD and nothing in the event log. The only error in the event log corresponding this the reset is a Kernel Power event which means that the system lost power unexpectedly.

The reset occurs only when 3D portions of the game run, for example, when I run Skyrim, it will start and will load, however once loading completes and the moment the 3D visuals appear, the PC resets. However, if I run older games like Unreal Tournament 99, there is no problems and I can play indefinitely. I also tested Uningine Heaven benchmark, the loading screen appears and the visuals last for about 1 second before resetting, even in windowed mode. Tried FurMark and same result.

I thought that the GPU might be to blame and checked the temperatures on the GTX 970 and I found that it was around 35-40, not enough to cause overheating. Similarly, my CPU temperatures never exceed 40-50 on 100% load (tested with SuperPI). Therefore, overheating is not a problem. I replaced the GTX 970 with my old ATi Radeon HD 4850. This time, FurMark benchmark ran its full course. However, when I ran TF2, the PC reset.

I am guessing that the PSU or the Motherboard are the culprits, I am not sure which. My PSU (Corsair TX-650M) is about 1 year and 10 months old and I don't think it should lose efficiency so soon and I don't know how to test the motherboard to see if it's causing the problem. My whole system (except the PSU) is pretty new since I purchased it last month only.

Any advise?

PS: Full config in signature. OS is Windows 8.1 Pro.

PPS: No problems when using onboard graphics.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
But how do I test it to see how it is working under load?

I mean, what if I replace the PSU and then it turns out that the problem actually lied with the Motherboard.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I just learned that the Corsair TX-650M has 5 years warranty. So, how do I get this one replaced or repaired?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
either get another psu from some friend or take your system to some shop for checking.in most cases like these psu is the reason & corsair RMA is also very good in India.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Their email address probably is indiaservice@corsair.com-write to them and let them know what your problem is,hopefully they'll tell you what needs to be done.

Are you sure this address is correct? I got delivery fail when I tried to send a mail here.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, I created a ticket on their Tech support site. Will probably get a response within 2 working days.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Since the problem is only with external graphics card, I would try updating / reinstalling / downgrading those drivers.
Also can try to reseat the graphics card.

quicky008

Technomancer
Are you sure this address is correct? I got delivery fail when I tried to send a mail here.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, I created a ticket on their Tech support site. Will probably get a response within 2 working days.

This used to be their email address in 2013 when i rma'd my corsair cabinet,its quite possible that it has changed now-that's the reason i used the word "probably"

Top Bottom