PC Gamer!!! Which console to get?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Thinking of going with a used ps3 160gb.I read online that an hdd can be added any time if need be.Is 10.5k a good bargain for a 2.5 month old ps3 160gb?

You read rightly. Ps3 supports standard 2.5 inch hdd's used in regular laptops. You can upgrade to a 500gb hdd anytime you like. It does not void the warranty either.

heidi2521

Padawan
I would like to point out that a certain genius on my ignore list's claims are utterly and totally untrue. Normally I don't bother reading his posts but CommanderShawnzer quoted him so here it is:

There are plenty of games on the Wii that are not just for otaku. Including Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime, Little Kings Story, DeBlob, A boy and his blob, Battalion Wars, Blastworks, Boom Blox, Broken Sword, Dawn of Discovery, DKGB, DKCR, Excitebots, Fatal Frame, Geometry Wars, GoldenEye 007, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, House of the Dead : Overkill, Madworld, Ivy the Kiwi, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby's return to dreamland, Twilight Princess, Lost in Shadow, Mario Strikers Charged, NSMBWii, No More Heroes, Pikmin, Project Zero, Prince of Persia, Punchout, Red Steel 2, REmake 4, RE:UC, RE: DC, REA:RE, REA:RE0, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, Sonic Colors, Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars, Trauma Team/Center, Wario Land, Warioware, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure.

The library is anything but lackluster. And frankly only otaku enjoy Pokemon? That is one of the most ridiculous claims I've ever heard. And only claims like otaku enjoy JRPGs is untrue too (Exhibit A: The Final Fantasy Series, B: Pokemon, C: Dragon's Dogma). I'd wager that that genius has not even played Little King's Story for him to dismiss it as an Otaku game.

Need I do the same for the Wii U?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I couldn't resist to post coz i don't want to spoil op's first ever console purchase. I really don't want op or any potential console buyer gets trapped in buying wii or its self proclaimed next-gen brother.
The wii has a plethora of titles but terming it as lackluster is true in the right sense.

The games, almost all of them cater to young crowds and obsessive otakus. In the following so called list, the games strictly meant for under 10 year olds are marked bold.
These cater to young minds who often play with building blocks and color. Now the ones marked in purple are abysmally bad.

Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime, Little Kings Story, DeBlob, A boy and his blob, Battalion Wars, Blastworks, Boom Blox, Broken Sword, Dawn of Discovery, DKGB, DKCR, Excitebots, Fatal Frame, Geometry Wars, GoldenEye 007, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, House of the Dead : Overkill, Madworld, Ivy the Kiwi, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Kirby's return to dreamland, Twilight Princess, Lost in Shadow, Mario Strikers Charged, NSMBWii, No More Heroes, Pikmin, Project Zero, Prince of Persia, Punchout, Red Steel 2, REmake 4, RE:UC, RE: DC, REA:RE, REA:RE0, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, Sonic Colors, Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars, Trauma Team/Center, Wario Land, Warioware, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure.

Now there are misleading info here too. Fatal Frame and project zero are one and the same series. Its a great series and available remastered in other platforms too unlike the wii.
Guilty gear is good but available in pc. So no point about spending on a wii. Madworld is good but not everybody will appreciate the color theme. There are better games.

The bold games are absolutely childish and some of them are also available in mobile platforms ( one can make out how they are). Silent hill shattered memories is like the worst SH game ever made. Prince of persia is cross platform and i guess 90% of pc gamers would have completed it.

The ones that are left out are okayish and definitely do not warrant an exclusive purchase of the wii. Goldeneye is a great game and so is metroid.
But they are not crowd pullers in current scenario.

A certain fellow's post has been reported for spreading illegitimate and absurd information including opinion forcing even though op is at all not interested in such information.

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
I couldn't resist to post coz i don't want to spoil op's first ever console purchase. I really don't want op or any potential console buyer gets trapped in buying wii or its self proclaimed next-gen brother.
The wii has a plethora of titles but terming it as lackluster is true in the right sense.

The games, almost all of them cater to young crowds and obsessive otakus. In the following so called list, the games strictly meant for under 10 year olds are marked bold.
These cater to young minds who often play with building blocks and color. Now the ones marked in purple are abysmally bad.

Now there are misleading info here too. Fatal Frame and project zero are one and the same series. Its a great series and available remastered in other platforms too unlike the wii.
Guilty gear is good but available in pc. So no point about spending on a wii. Madworld is good but not everybody will appreciate the color theme. There are better games.

The bold games are absolutely childish and some of them are also available in mobile platforms ( one can make out how they are). Silent hill shattered memories is like the worst SH game ever made. Prince of persia is cross platform and i guess 90% of pc gamers would have completed it.

The ones that are left out are okayish and definitely do not warrant an exclusive purchase of the wii. Goldeneye is a great game and so is metroid.
But they are not crowd pullers in current scenario.

A certain fellow's post has been reported for spreading illegitimate and absurd information including opinion forcing even though op is at all not interested in such information.

i agree, i dont even know why that fellow keeps on posting ? is he trolling? or just plain stupid?

Agreed. No point in making stuff up like the Wii's library is lackluster and only appeals to otaku and asking them not to buy a console based on that.

it is otaku, it is lackluster deal with it.

a must read :

*www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/10-things/

Thinking of going with a used ps3 160gb.I read online that an hdd can be added any time if need be.Is 10.5k a good bargain for a 2.5 month old ps3 160gb?

yes hdd can be added whenever. bargain for 9k ;)

OP
R

rock2702

Padawan
I was looking for ps3 320gb and 160gb ads on olx.People have listed various prices for their used ps3 ranging from 25k down to 12k.Is olx a safe source to buy a used ps3 from? Also how much should I buy a used 320gb or 160gb ps3 for, if it is out of warranty?

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
I am also looking to get a PS3 but will hold on if there is going to be a price cut owing to the impending release of the PS4. Something around 10k for 12gb ps3 new would be good.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
@rock: OLX is a classifieds service. Basically you have to buy directly from the seller. So I'd say that OLX's reliability is irrelevant here :)

If you want to play Wii games, (which is nothing to scoff at BTW), you could also consider the Wii U if emulation isn't your cup of tea. This is the only platform with backwards compatibility (theoretically even GameCube could work but nintendo isn't doing it).

But if you're kinda firm on the PS3, get a slim model. OLX, Quickr etc are fine, but you could also look at ebay for used consoles. Over there you would have to be a bit careful and check seller reputation :)

@mohit: price cut probably won't happen anytime soon. We don't have a fixed launch date for the PS4 yet.

heidi2521

Padawan

Wow... Have you even played the games you are dismissing?

I could point out that each bolded game isn't what you claim but It isn't worth the effort.

BTW, you clearly haven't played Silent Hill HD Collection.

amruth kiran

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them
hey guys quick question!
the PS3 does't have and does't support a HDMI-VGA conversion right??
cause i have a VGA input PC monitor i am gonna use when i decide to get the PS3/XBOX360
the xbox has the cables and supports it but the ps3 does't.
help!

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
hey guys quick question!
the PS3 does't have and does't support a HDMI-VGA conversion right??
cause i have a VGA input PC monitor i am gonna use when i decide to get the PS3/XBOX360
the xbox has the cables and supports it but the ps3 does't.
help!
I'm not sure but I think the PS3 should be able to handle HDMI- VGA just fine. My reasoning is that it already has a DAC for the component output, so I don't see why it would not be used to convert HDMI to VGA.

I will say that it converts from HDMI to DVI just fine though.

amruth kiran

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them
I'm not sure but I think the PS3 should be able to handle HDMI- VGA just fine. My reasoning is that it already has a DAC for the component output, so I don't see why it would not be used to convert HDMI to VGA.

I will say that it converts from HDMI to DVI just fine though.

it supports the conversion but a costly external convertor is needed.
just got that cleared by a recognized forum member .

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
where on the earth one can get PS3 for 10k........ give me link

where on the earth one can get PS3 for 10k........ give me link

Top Bottom