pc freezing with a cracking sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_raman

Right off the assembly line
hi
my pc freezes with a continous cracking sound and the monitor turns off after playing games like fear,prey for abt 20 min.i have to manually restart the pc

there is no problem during any other normal usage

i have the latest drivers installed

my config is
amd athlon xp 2600+ barton
asus a7n8x mobo
radeon x800xt
1 gb transcend ram(ddr 400, 512x2)
plz help

OP
R

r_raman

but why does it happen only in games it doesnt happen in any other heavy jobs like winrar,.net or while multitasking

shantanu

Technomancer
GAMES ARE THE MOST HEAVY JOBS AS COMPARED TO WINRAR AND ALL..

I HAD THIS PROBLEM MANY YEARS AGO
when i had P4 1.5 and GEFORCE 4 installed.. and 256 mb ram but i gone away when i took my ram to 512 and geforce 5200FX and i changed my hdd to 80GB

so GAMES TAKE PF AND RAM AND GPU WHICH HEATS UP THE SYSTEM AND THE PROBLEM COMES

CHECK YOUR COOLING ALSO... Monitor your temp.

arun77574

Broken In
the problem is about space. you have to free up some space in the partition in which the games are installed and the c drive as well. increase the virtual memory also. this should help you.

OP
R

r_raman

i checked the temp i think its my x800xt graphics card
ati tool gave an insane temp of 95+c for gpu and 65c for the board during load
i have 2 80mm fans at the back and 1 80mm fan in the front this heating problem did not happen previously

can the problem be due to my generic 400w psu

what should i do ,i am having to use the comp without the cabinet cover(still max temp reached was 85c for gpu)

OP
R

r_raman

i have abt 900mb free in my c drive and 3gb in the install drive

hey shantanu_webmaster, give me some more concrete help regarding this
problem u typed injus t1 line
i measured the idling temp it was 52c

helpppp

shantanu

Technomancer
Look your C drive is very low on disk space !!

then your system components take voltage as per usage , that means that according to usage the temp. and power keeps on raising, when this happens then many times the SMPS is not able to provide Adequate power supply and the system crashes..

now other thing is that the power which your SMPS is getting can be a fault!! many times i have seen that PC with or without UPS restarted withour any reason or with a sound and after that everything is ok but it restarts,
after much problems the solution came either to put a UPS OR the systems thst had UPS had the UPS REPAIRED but 40 times in 100 the SMPS was faulty.

so its possible that a 400 watt SMPS is not able to provide you with correct voltage!!

going to other reasons - many times the components are in some jams, means Hdd is got a problem or cpu or mobo but then they are also working correctly on correct voltage!!! SO SMPS IS THE culprit in many cases

OP
R

r_raman

thanks for replying i will check out on the suggestions u made

btw what should be the ideal amp on the +12v rail of a good psu for my requirement my present psu has 14a on the +12 rail which i checked on the other treads seem to be low

i am running 2 hdd,2 optical drives,amd 2600+,1 gb ram,x800xt,creative sound card,a7n8x mobo

arun77574

Broken In
900 mb in c drive is very low. you need to free up atleast 2gb. the virtual memory of your computer should be more always more than the RAM. the system uses that space for swaping the contents of RAM whenever its needed. most of the time games pull up the need for an virtual memory. when there is insuffiicient space for virtual memory this problem would occur.

shantanu

Technomancer
i think not so low but ya when you are using that much of hardware then you must have a powerfull SMPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom