PC Failed- Confused about Purchases (Gaming Machine)

bhvm

Journeyman
Hello everyone!
I am a long time reader of DIGIT and a many times contest winner.

After 7 years of Faithful service, my trusted PC died a silent death last week.
The Board and the CPU are not responding. I sent both to service center, but repairs are unstable and it makes no sense to invest in such an old system.

Take a look at the Spec while a Mourn a bit.:-(
MSI K8nGM2 FID board
AMD manchester 3800x2 Proc (Sockect 939)
4GB DDR 1 ram 400MHZ
1TB x2 HDDs in RAID 0 (NVRAID)
Nvidia 9800GT GFX card
LG Widescreen Monitor
550W ATRIX SMPS with Passive PFC

Self modded and custom cabinet.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

History thread-
Frustrated- PC wont start (Fans spin a Second and go off) - AnandTech Forums

As I am set out to buy a new system, I have 3 options-

Option 1,
Get CPU, Board, RAM, GFX new.
I shall use my Existing Cabinet, SMPS, RAID SET, Monitor etc
Budget 35k

Option 2,
Get a gaming laptop.
Amd A10 APU seems very exciting. My RAID set will be sorely missed. Dual Drive bay seems a rarity as well.
Budget 45k

Option 3,
Get a used CPU, Board, Ram. and wait for something exciting to show up in desktop segment. Frankly Desktops are almost same (Architecture) since 5 years. Just figures go up.

The usual Questionnaire-
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:
Internet, Photo Editing (HDR, Postprocessing), Games (BF3, COD MW3 and others, BFBC2, UT3, Split second, NFS, Music (7.1 output preferred), Database works, Huge media storage.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
35K for CPU, Board, proc, Ram, GFX,
40k for gaming laptop

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:
yes if easily possible without Volt mods

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:
Win 7 ultimate 64 Bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:
Will use existing 2000GB RAID set for desktop
Min 1000 GB for laptop. Dual bay preferred

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:
No.
But Either Desktop or Laptop shall support dual or triple monitors (Eg for laptop 1 internal, 1 VGA, and 1 HDMI).

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
Existing Cabinet, Input devices, Speakers, SMPS, DVD, RAID SET, Cables,

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:
15 days,

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
I have build and modded systems before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
Will visit lamington road possibly, I live in village .

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
Thanks to everyone for their time.

hitman4

In the zone
Amd Fx 6300 7400
Asus M5A97 R2.0 7200
G-skill Ripjaws 4gb ddr3 2200
Sapphire 7870 XT 17900
Wd cavier blue 1TB 4000
Seasonic s12 520w 4200
Asus 24x black dvd 1000
Corsair 200r cabinet 3100
Total - rs 46,800

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
Amd Fx 6300 7400
Asus M5A97 R2.0 7200
G-skill Ripjaws 4gb ddr3 2200
Sapphire 7870 XT 17900
Wd cavier blue 1TB 4000
Seasonic s12 520w 4200
Asus 24x black dvd 1000
Corsair 200r cabinet 3100
Total - rs 46,800

thanks for lighting fast reply.
however,I don't need cabinets and hdds and stuff. also my budget is 30k max.

I'll also need micro atx Board with onboard gfx in case gfx card fails.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
then get this
Amd Fx 6300 7200
gigabyte ga78lmt -4000
G-skill Ripjaws 4gb ddr3 2700
Sapphire 7870 XT 17900
Seasonic s12 520w 4200

which cabinet do you have?

icebags

Technomancer
^ so much on gpu and so little on proccy ....... if he doesn't have a full hd monitor its an overkill.

man, tone down the gfx a bit (7850/660) and bump up the cpu with it. how about fx8320 ?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
^ so much on gpu and so little on proccy ....... if he doesn't have a full hd monitor its an overkill.

man, tone down the gfx a bit (7850/660) and bump up the cpu with it. how about fx8320 ?

todays games are highly gpu hungry. for fx8320 you also need to change the mobo with some costly ones. you will find difficulty in accommodating those. cutting down the gpu is not recommended here.

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
My replies made from Phone (Samsung Note) Did'nt make it here. Hmm..
Coming to the point,
I was also thinking about FX 8320 , very sweet spec, Unlocked maybe?

For the Boards I will need an mATX with Onboard GFX (just in case)
You guessed right about Too high end Graphics. I will prefer a small and efficient Graphics that could work without Extra power (Eg GTX 650) and would fit will inside tight spacing.

My Cabinet is VIP but Heavily self modded with Side panel window, DVD Window, LED glows, Illuminated grilles and Logos etc..

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
I'm running dual monitors. primary is 19 inch 1360x768. second is 17 inch 1280x 1024.

why aren't my replies showing up???

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
My replies made from Phone (Samsung Note) Did'nt make it here. Hmm..
Coming to the point,
I was also thinking about FX 8320 , very sweet spec, Unlocked maybe?

For the Boards I will need an mATX with Onboard GFX (just in case)
You guessed right about Too high end Graphics. I will prefer a small and efficient Graphics that could work without Extra power (Eg GTX 650) and would fit will inside tight spacing.

My Cabinet is VIP but Heavily self modded with Side panel window, DVD Window, LED glows, Illuminated grilles and Logos etc..

8320 is a good unlocked cpu and you may need to change the mobo too (that too without any igpu). 650 is not enough to play games like BF3 and modern ones in high/medium detail.

icebags

Technomancer
650TI boost or just 650TI does good job @ bf3 with ultra settings, its about same or more powerful than the 560 i use to play bf3.

it will still hold @ bf4, as long as op sticks to 1360x768 pixels, but cpu will choke if it's anything less than an i5 class. but op, if u have high end ea games like crysis/ bf etc in mind to play in full hd, u will need at least a 7850 or 660 as well as a decent i5 or fx8320. and the bigger is better.

add to that, 8gb ram for smoothness feels, and a decent cooler to handle the constant 60-80% or maybe higher cpu load.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
650TI boost or just 650TI does good job @ bf3 with ultra settings, its about same or more powerful than the 560 i use to play bf3.

it will still hold @ bf4, as long as op sticks to 1360x768 pixels, but cpu will choke if it's anything less than an i5 class. but op, if u have high end ea games like crysis/ bf etc in mind to play in full hd, u will need at least a 7850 or 660 as well as a decent i5 or fx8320. and the bigger is better.

add to that, 8gb ram for smoothness feels, and a decent cooler to handle the constant 60-80% or maybe higher cpu load.

fx 6300 is quite capable and dont under estimate the power of it :-D.
4gb ram is enough for todays games and general purpose softwares. 8gb ram will come handy when some one uses heavy encoding and for op's requirements,4gb is enough.
also 650 and 650ti are not on the same league. the performance difference is cconsiderable.
and i do not agree with your last statement.for amd, stock cooler is enough for even mild overclocks.

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
why isn't anyone talking about gaming laptop?
HP Pavilion G6-2312AX Laptop (APU Quad Core A10/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2.5GB Graph) - HP: Flipkart.com

what say?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
laptops are nowhere near to similarly priced desktops(not branded ones :p). if you want portability, you should select a laptop. otherwise select a desktop only.

OP
B

bhvm

Journeyman
how would be the performance of AMD A10 Dual graphics (864 shaders total) vs a desktop quad core+ nvidia GTX 650 in Games and other useage?

icebags

Technomancer
fx 6300 is quite capable and dont under estimate the power of it :-D.
4gb ram is enough for todays games and general purpose softwares. 8gb ram will come handy when some one uses heavy encoding and for op's requirements,4gb is enough.
also 650 and 650ti are not on the same league. the performance difference is cconsiderable.
and i do not agree with your last statement.for amd, stock cooler is enough for even mild overclocks.

u re saying this because u have not played bf4 beta. :D check the bf4 page, its bringing down even i5 2500k to its knees so much that some even oc'ed it. (beta isn't optimized as much i agree, and the last update reduced 100% cpu usage, but it is sure bf4 will be a cpu hungry monster.)

well i never said vanilla 650, i suggested "650ti" or "650 ti boost". 650ti is around the same league to vanilla 560.

8gb & cooler is optional upgrade, if op feels he needs them, then he can go for them later. :)

why isn't anyone talking about gaming laptop?
HP Pavilion G6-2312AX Laptop (APU Quad Core A10/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2.5GB Graph) - HP: Flipkart.com

what say?

yes, what rijin said, whats ur main concern, gaming or portability ?

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
that's why because it is still beta and after update beta too is payable and please don't judge game based on beta.
FX6300+7870XT is quite capable IMO.
FOR HASWELL build your BUDGET WILL BE BIT ON LOWER SIDE

icebags

Technomancer
^ there wont be a miraculous performance increase. fx6300 still uses 90% cpu constantly, while playing bf3.

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
BF4 too should be payable akaik I know. my friend is playing beta with I3+650TI boost...
so FX6300 + 7870 is capable IMO.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
u re saying this because u have not played bf4 beta. :D check the bf4 page, its bringing down even i5 2500k to its knees so much that some even oc'ed it. (beta isn't optimized as much i agree, and the last update reduced 100% cpu usage, but it is sure bf4 will be a cpu hungry monster.)

well i never said vanilla 650, i suggested "650ti" or "650 ti boost". 650ti is around the same league to vanilla 560.

8gb & cooler is optional upgrade, if op feels he needs them, then he can go for them later. :)

that problem will be fixed on final release for sure. even i5 will sweat with bf3 on high details.even on i7 ,it takes more than 70% cpu(i just read it on the internet. dont know whether solved it or not). the best nearest cpu is fx 6300. i3 will perform lower than that. OP was asking about 650 and that comment was indeed intended to OP.

Top Bottom