Patching a windows file - Legal or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Simple question .. does microsoft consider it illegal to patch/replace a original dll/exe with a modified one, be it any dll/exe.

More questions to follow based on response.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ unauthorised 3rd party, microsoft's own patches are always legal ;)
edit: How to tell if a patch is legal or not? :D

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^^ unauthorised 3rd party, microsoft's own patches are always legal ;)
edit: How to tell if a patch is legal or not? :D
Ya I knew that MS's own patches are legal, but I just wanted to clarify so that I know what exactly are we debating.

mrintech

Technomancer
OFFTOPIC:

Whenever I see Charan's Avatar...Only One thing comes to my mind.... Does that CAT have a bone in her Neck? :D

Twisted CAT Head ;)

sakumar79

Technomancer
If you are attempting to modify a system dll/exe (that is, a dll/exe that was created by/for MS), then MS will consider that action illegal... Typically, these software files have digital signature to identify the creator I think...

If you are modifying a third party software's dll/exe, then it will depend on the user licence agreement of that software developer...

Arun

paroh

Padawan
OFFTOPIC:

Whenever I see Charan's Avatar...Only One thing comes to my mind.... Does that CAT have a bone in her Neck?

Twisted CAT Head ;)
:D

I think whether we consult Charan or Charan's Avatar (Cat) for this :D. Or may be cat doing some yoga (Cat is health conscious)

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
as simple as u modify something to a equipment purchased on warranty....the original stamp is gone........so what will u call it......illegal or legal.........i would say losing ur warranty n money rather........M$ not gonna loose any $ By patching.

thing illegal according to M$ is copyright infringement etc stuff.....

patching a original MS file is often illigal but not always. If you are talking about XP it doesn't matter coz microsoft is gonna cut off its support soon. :cool: But for vista don't even think about it.

mrintech

Technomancer
Go Modify/Patch any dll/exe file... do this thing on your Enemy's PC... Now e-mail MS that what you have done with necessary code ;)

You will know the official answers/happenings ..... ;)

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
so you guys are agree that patching a file in illegal ;) ,
My next question.
Tell me if patching themeui.dll is illegal or not?
there are numerous sites which provide the patched dll, this is done because by the original file can open only signed themes, a patched file can do the job easily. Is this illegal?

I got this question because I dont trust any unsigned dll's which come outside microsoft, it may cause security risks and stability issues.

My close friend Vishal Gupta also recomends using a patched dll for his theme creations, so do many other UI MVP's .

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
It is illegal to patch the kernel & system files. However, people still do it. MS does informs that if they patch it, they void any support. So, it's like the choice of user, whether to patch or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom