Partition queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
i have a 20 gb ultra dma hdd. i have two partitions. the c drive has xp sp2. i want to make another partition of d drive without formatting the drive in order to load linux on it. i want the partition to be 4 gb. what file system should i have. will ntfs do?? will partition magic solve my purpose?? pls help..
thnx

nach p

Journeyman
Without formatting creating two drives is not safe so take backup before doing so.
Try to allocate atleast 5 GB to work on linux.You can convert u r file sys to ext 2 or ext 3.NTFS will not work.Later on you can mount u r file system by instaling ntfs drivers.

For creating and partitioning some threads are going on in Open Source section which will give you more clear idea.
Here is a link
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36717&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
(parttioning starts fr nearly 3rd or 4th page)

william

Journeyman
but why do you want to have linux. when u alredy have windows Xp. by the way try any other software then partition magic .

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
Partition Magic is a good software for partitioning . BTW which linux are you planning to install .

nil_3

In the zone
If you want to just taste the flavour of Linux, you can try Knoppix or puppy linux It will run from CD and need no partitioning.

Vyasram

The pWnster
use Partition magic or paragon partition manager, you can split partitions without deleting anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom