Partition Editing,Resizing Doubt !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipen01

Youngling
Hi..

i have one problem regarding Partition Editing,Resizing...But to make it clear am stating it with example..

1 HDD -- 40 GB
3 Partitions (C - 10 GB,D - 7 GB,E - 20GB)
C - Primary(O.S)
D,E - Extended

This is current condition of my HDD.

What i want to do is reduce some space from C Drive(Primary) say 5 GB and add it to D Drive(Logical).But am unable to do so.

Now this is what i tried -- As resizing Primary is not possible without Format i formatted my C drive. Now am left with NO O.S. Then with the help of F-Disk i deleted C Drive which is primary.Then again i created new Drive of 5 GB and set it active.

Here comes the problem. The 5 GB which was left after resizing is not available for Extended i.e i cannot increase that size of D Drive by the remaining 5 GB.

I have important data in both D and E Drive so i dont wanna format it.
That was complete detail.. Any ideas how can i do that.

I know that i can do it if i connect my HDD to another system and then by Partition Magic or any other tool.i can do it...But any ideas,possibilites on how can i do it without Partition Magic.

Dipen

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
do this...

download BOOT it NG from www.terabyteunlimited.com

burn the iso and boot from the disk...

now u can re-size ur primary partition....

add the free size to the extended partition by re-sizing it

now u can make a new logical partition or add the free space to any current logical part....

Vishal Gupta said:
U can't merge the extra primary partition (5GB) in Extended partitions (D,E) !!!

Easily done with Partition Magic and that too graphically, with a few mouse clicks as follows -

Reduce the primary to free up space (already done in this case by freeing up 5 gigs)

Click on the outer envelope (in the graphic that represents the extended partition).

Resize it (expand it to accomodate the free space). Now the free space will have moved inside the extended partition.

Resize logical drives or create a new logical drive to use up this free space.

- Keith

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I meant with doing it w/o using ne 3rd party s/w as the author mentioned in his post :D

I knew that using PQ magic we can do that :wink:

Kniwor

Learner
Keith Sebastian said:
Vishal Gupta said:
U can't merge the extra primary partition (5GB) in Extended partitions (D,E) !!!

Easily done with Partition Magic and that too graphically, with a few mouse clicks as follows -

Reduce the primary to free up space (already done in this case by freeing up 5 gigs)

Click on the outer envelope (in the graphic that represents the extended partition).

Resize it (expand it to accomodate the free space). Now the free space will have moved inside the extended partition.

Resize logical drives or create a new logical drive to use up this free space.

- Keith

are u suggesting him to purchase partition magic to extend his extended partition...???

OP
Dipen01

Dipen01

Youngling
As I said..

Dipen01 said:
I know that i can do it if i connect my HDD to another system and then by Partition Magic or any other tool.i can do it...But any ideas,possibilites on how can i do it without Partition Magic.

Dipen

Will try mail2and's suggestion.. BTW any chances using FDISK.. But i guess as u guys are saying may be its not possible using FDISK...

Still any hunches/ideas..??

Dipen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom