Palit releases HD4850 SONIC with 512MB GDDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Right, that's not a typo. This is for real. It's basically HD4870 with lesser speed and maybe a little lesser TDP.

Now the pricing is unknown, but the hint is towards 150$, that means a Rs. 8000 to Rs. 8500 in INDIA. Now that's SUPERB indeed.

Known to be an innovative lot when it comes to designing graphics cards, Palit has quitely slipped in a new variant to its Radeon HD 4850 series: the Palit Radeon HD 4850 Sonic Special Edition. What makes this card special, or rather different from the HD 4850 Sonic, are its memory and connectivity options. This is perhaps the first and only Radeon HD 4850 accelerator with GDDR5 memory. The card features 512 MB of GDDR5 memory across a 256-bit wide bus.

It uses an identical dual-slot cooler design to that of the HD 4850 Sonic. If the faster memory wasn't incentive enough, Palit has also expanded the connectivity options. The card provides a DVI, D-Sub (analog), HDMI and DisplayPort connectors all on the card. Owing to the Sonic branding, the card definitely sports higher clock-speeds than what AMD specifies. Further blurring the line between this card and a Radeon HD 4870, is its requirement of two 6-pin PCI-E power inputs. We are in the process of finding out its exact clock speeds, price and a larger picture.

*www.techpowerup.com/86305/Palit_Qu...onic_Special_Edition_Sports_GDDR5_Memory.html

mavihs

Techie By Heart
Awsome!!!! :shock:

@comp@ddict
d price cant be that low......it will definatly be above 10K!!!!!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think there will be any significant performance difference between the DDR5 & DDR3 version.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

^^^Wrong, this will be just a tad slower than the HD4870, but that problem can be solved, cuz HD4850 can be easily overclocked, and thanks to Palit's SONIC cooling SYSTEM, no heating worries.

Awsome!!!!

@comp@ddict
d price cant be that low......it will definatly be above 10K!!!!!

HD4870 is gonna be for 12k in a few weeks.
This will definitely be 10k or lesser.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^^Wrong, this will be just a tad slower than the HD4870, but that problem can be solved, cuz HD4850 can be easily overclocked, and thanks to Palit's SONIC cooling SYSTEM, no heating worries.

May be. Lets wait for the benchmarks & reviews.
But I think palit should have released a 1GB ddr5 version. :p

HD4870 is gonna be for 12k in a few weeks.
This will definitely be 10k or lesser.
Now it's a great news.

mavihs

Techie By Heart
wow gr8 news...so this is d gfx card which i'm going 2 buy after my board exam if thats d price!!!! :p

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

^^^ Same here, if this sells for less than 10k, this one. Else HD4870 or HD4950 whichever is lesser than 13k and offers better bang for buck.

Yep, we have to wait for benchies.

fuzzz

Broken In
well it seems its available on www.theitwares.com for around 11.5k
meaning 11k is the mark for this bad boy.. which is feel is still quite good..
unfortunately there are no benchies or comparisons available on the net as of yet :(

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

What, OMG now that is awesome.

Remember, this is just like an underclocked HD4870. All you gotta do it vmod it by a very small amount and this becomes a HD4870, and you cud get the 850MHz Core Clock that a vmodded HD4850 can achieve.

EDIT:-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=923821#post923821

I've got HD4850 512MB GDDR5 Special SONIC there added!!!!!

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good one but why it isn't listed on their own website :confused:

*www.harepix.com/images/943234641.png

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

No idea, but it sure is real, cuz the news came on techpowerup, and they are no hoax.

Palit supposedly "quietly" added this, so maybe....

fuzzz

Broken In
yeah that was kinda freeky .. palit doesnt have this gfx card on its own site.. lol

well i m really waiting impatiently for the benchies..!!
i need to get me a new card.. and like really really soon ... and this card is most likely it.. but i still need to get the benchies to get it compared with the 4870 so i descide which one of them to take ...

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

^^^Gainward is gonna sell this card, with a core clock of 700MHz, and memory 900MHz. The price will be less than HD4870.

*www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12610&Itemid=1

Best thing about this beauty is that it runs on 450W - 500 W PSUs (from reputed brands ) *xtreview.com/addcomment-id-8021-view-Palit-Radeon-HD-4850-Sonic-Special-Edition.html and performs almost a little lesser than 4870 assumingly :p. Underclocked 4870 was a great idea which should have come last year :p

Anyways, at Rs14,000 isnt GTX260 a good deal too?? Is the Rs4,000 extra worth the expense??

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

^^^Yes

HD4850 512MB GDDR5 sells for Rs. 10,200
Palit GTX260 SONIC 896MB GDDR3 sells for Rs. 14,200

Both are gr8 deals in their price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom