Pakistan blocks YouTube, ends up getting blocked from the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

int86

You'r Born Free
Kalpik
So isnt there any regulation or method to boycott those ill-functioning gatways . I am supposing every country has a Gateway to connect to internet like we have VSNL.

OP
kalpik

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ ofcourse there are! That's why pakistan was cut off from the internet temporarily! It was actually a mistake on pakistan's part.. It was not intentional.

blackpearl

The Devil
they corrupted internets routing ... sorry .. but how could they .. if they can .. cant a hackers can ???

sorry again but how can they???

does all internet request flow thru pakistan ??? i dont think so... if i am correct...
sorry for being so innocent.. i dont get it... may be some wiki reference may help..

They modified their routing tables to divert traffic to youtube. The modified tables got propagated to all other international routers and they modified their own tables accordingly. This happens will all high priority routers and DNS servers. These records get updated throughout the Internet. Hence the whole global traffic to youtube was divereted.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
@naveen
If you're an ISP, you are capable of doing that.
What they did was accidental and unintentional, and they rectified it as soon as they realized it.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I thought ICANN is there to make sure no one actually do this !!!! As to protect and make sure IP (Numbers) are interlinked properlly !!!

Still didnt get it, Pakisthan would getway with this violation of ICANN own Rules ??

its simple fact on a network, 2 computers cant have same IP address :( the rule is same with Internet also... and just like system admin of a local network, ICANN is there to make sure, that no 2 place claims to own or tries to point network traffic to same IP !!!

ICANN was meant to solve this problem which we saw with Paki and Youtube !!!

Last edited:

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
now i get somtthing out of this conversation...

the router into the country is modified to make sure utube end up in some page created by gov...
anyway.. cat they use some encrypted way to access utube???

so wht and all sites are taken away from paki ppl??

Pathik

Google Bot
I thought ICANN is there to make sure no one actually do this !!!! As to protect and make sure IP (Numbers) are interlinked properlly !!!

Still didnt get it, Pakisthan would getway with this violation of ICANN own Rules ??

its simple fact on a network, 2 computers cant have same IP address :( the rule is same with Internet also... and just like system admin of a local network, ICANN is there to make sure, that no 2 place claims to own or tries to point network traffic to same IP !!!

ICANN was meant to solve this problem which we saw with Paki and Youtube !!!
Exactly. Even if Pakis managed to redirect youtube to their custom error page, This should have been effective only for those who use that ISP in Pakistan. How did it affect the routing tables of all the DNS servers around the world.?? Who decides the priority of such requests?

blackpearl

The Devil
That's the problem. Anyone with access to these high priority gateways and routers can messup with the config and bring the whole net down.

How did it affect the routing tables of all the DNS servers around the world.?? Who decides the priority of such requests?

Thats' how the whole Internet works. The tables get updated every 24 hours as new websites and servers get added and changed around the world. If you launch a website on a server in India, even a visitor in US can access it. How? The DNS records from your website's registrar gets propagated to the top level DNS server from where it gets distributed to all DNS servers around the world.

The case with Pakistan is a bit different though. It's explained nicely in the following. You have to know how routing works to understand it

*arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080225-insecure-routing-redirects-youtube-to-pakistan.html

Last edited:
OP
kalpik

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Thanks.. I was really out of words trying to explain the situation :p

Like he said, you need to know how routing works to understand it :)

Another link that *may* help to understand how routing works..

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Gateway_Protocol

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
Great article.. Thanks..
BTW
arstechnica said:
On the North American Network Operators Group (NANOG) mailing list, where many engineers in charge of Internet routing hang out, the consensus is that this was an accident. Only one or two people suggest that it may be a malicious act, possibly a trial of something bigger.
Possibly.. Can't trust Pakis.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
they corrupted internets routing ... sorry .. but how could they .. if they can .. cant a hackers can ???

sorry again but how can they???

does all internet request flow thru pakistan ??? i dont think so... if i am correct...
sorry for being so innocent.. i dont get it... may be some wiki reference may help..

u need to read abt routing protocols :D
BGP etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom