ok so im new to overclocking.

i am running a Q8200 at 2.8Ghz from 2.33Ghz
motherboard is msi p45 platinum
i currently have 2*1 GB DDR2 800mhz transcend ram

now here is the setup
i am running at a mem divider of 1:1
so the fsb is set at 400 x 7 = 2.8ghz
rams running at 800mhz

i want to get some more juice out of the system. i want to get it up to atleast 3Ghz
till now 2 things were limiting me
1. the motherboard .supposedly supports only 1600fsb. this has been fixed(supposedly) with a bios update. but yet to be tested

2. the rams. the rams are already running at their maximum rated frequency of 800Mhz

what i would like to know is, would i be able to raise the freq of the ram some more to say 900mhz ? by applying additional voltage?
cause if i can then i would be able to achieve about 3.1Ghz

also any advice u would like to give me regarding anything i should keep in mind while overclocking ... fire away (this is my first time overclocking)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Search forum before you post.

You can push that q8200 to 3GHz. Set the fsb to 440.
So it would be be 440*7 = 3080Mhz or 3GHZ~.

Set mem divider of 1:1. So your Ram will be running @ 880 Mhz. This is 10% OC of your ram & it's quiet safe. Generally you don't need to increase voltage for this 10% mem OC.

If you have stability prob increase mem voltage to 1.85,1.9,1.95 ( I think it's the safe limit for value rams - If you're using those )

OP
F

fuzzz

Broken In
errm topgear
thanks for the suggestions. srry my bad i didnt search :s

amitash
im using a cooler master hyper 212
load temp was going to 68 :| on prime. i have to go and get up arctic silver 5 tom currently using the thermal paste provided with the cooler by cooler master

btw after i have updated the bios last night, my previous overclocking setting were destroyed.
and now for some reason i am not able to get those setting to work.
i tried keeping the same voltage 1.18 even bumped it as much as 1.23v but what happens is the computer starts up. i can see the msi logo. and the part where in the windows os selection comes up the screen just remains blank. the computer doesnt even restart . help please?

currently im running on stock settings.

here is what i tried
fsb 400 x 7
mem divider 1:1
i tried the following voltage variations with the overclock
voltage to cpu from 1.17 to 1.23 -> my previous overclock was stable at 1.18v
also tried to increase the voltage of the ram up to 1.9
but either the computer just doesn't start up or gets stuck after i see the msi screen and then nothing :(
HELP

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your CPU temps seem to be very high. Get good aftermarket cooler like Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with artic MX or silver.

You have to feed more voltage to your cpu. Set the mem voltage to 1.9v.
Set the cpu voltage to 1.3 or 1.35 & tell us what happens.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Jus be careful with the voltage, dun exceed 1.35 for heaven's sake widout a very good air cooler as suggested.

OP
F

fuzzz

Broken In
well i reflashed to an older bios, here are the settings i am running at.
the computer is under 100% load prime running for about 5 hours have a look see at the temps
*img232.imageshack.us/img232/5959/pic1ll2.png
*img232.imageshack.us/img232/pic1ll2.png/1/w640.png

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Very good, now hit 3GHz, let it be there.

Or u can buy a good air cooler for 2k and then hit 3.4Ghz widout any worries.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
67C is still a very high temp. The temp should not cross 60C.
Get some 3rd party CPU cooler with some good paste.

Increase cpu voltage to .5V increment like 1.2,1.25,1.3 and 1.35.
Increase speed to 3.0 & 3.4 repectively.

Do remember that in 486 fsb ( 3.4 Ghz cpu speed ) your rams will be running at 972Mhz speed ( 1:1 ratio ). At that speed your ram chip may require more than 2V So I think 3Ghz ( 440Mhz Fsb ) is a safe limit for your rams (880Mhz ) untill you upgrade to 1066Mhz Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom