Oracle's new Linux!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Oracle on Oct. 25 announced that it will provide the same enterprise-class support for Linux as it provides for its database, middleware and applications products. Essentially, this means that Oracle, after removing Red Hat trademarks, will be distributing Oracle Unbreakable Linux, derived from Red Hat's open-source Linux technology.
Oracle, however, claims that it is merely "supporting" Unbreakable Linux, which is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Read more about it here

Walk-through Oracle's new Linux (Pics) : Click here

Screenshot:

*img183.imageshack.us/img183/779/oraclelinuxsx0.th.png

Last edited:

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Whatever... I Still Prefer MySQL as the Database for my Projects.. (yeh, MySQL on Ubuntu for PHP and on Windows for VC#)

And Not to Mention Oracle is Proprietary.. whereas RHEL is NOT.. (They give the Sources for Free, not the Official Build, CentOS uses those Sources)

And Not to Mention that Oracle Database is Pure Bloat which 5ucks Resources for even a Small Database..

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Subbzzz, Oracle Unbreakable Linux is a Linux O.S, not a database!!
Anyway you are right, Oracle database needs more resources than MySQL!!

mediator

Technomancer
Similar to CentOS project and wheneva Redhat releases new version they have to synch their version to de redhat's one!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
whatever it will be a mouse(redhat) will be crused by Devil(oracle). as the shareprices of red hat are already starting to dip just after the announcement

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Gary, There are talks going in the industry about such thing like "Oracle crushing the
RedHat's business!!" But it's too premature to say anything like that. Looks like
Oracle is talking to Ubuntu guys about a partnership!!

eddie

El mooooo
This just cracks me up!!! They can't get their own house straight and now they are planning to support the software developed by a company that stands at number 1 position in Vendor Value Survey? A company (Oracle) that stands at number 2 in the list of "Companies with highest number of POOR RATINGS" are trying to give better support then the guys who are at number one in GOOD RATINGS. This is like asking a cat to protect your milk.

IMHO Oracle should first support their own software *properly* by producing regular patches rather than getting into new things they know little about.

EDIT: I didn't see gary's comment. As far as falling share prices are concerned, RedHat is looking at it as an opportunity. They have already planned a share buyback plan in which they are buying their own shares worth $250 million and I am sure they will not regret the decision because one the knee jerk reaction gets over, their prices will surely rise :)
*www.thestreet.com/_iwon/newsanalysis/techsoftware/10318233.html?cf=WSIWON1111051500

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
I think interest of Oracle in GNU/Linux will attract some interest among other OS Communities-Linux Haters..

mediator

Technomancer
^^Ur right, n may be no. of linux users will increase more then. Since Oracle linux is based on Red hat, then may be some new linux users will try to see Redhat outta curiosity! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom