opera doesnt uninstall

Kishal

Aadivasi Hungryyy!!!
i used chrome till now but i found opera 11 to be better. so i thought of installing it. but i found that i had opera 9.25 previously installed on my pc. i uninstalled it but it still appears in the programs list. it doesnt uninstall as well. on uninstalling, a popup appears asking for a file called opera installer.msi which i dont have . opera 11 doesnt install due to the same prob. plz help

sakumar79

Technomancer
Try to use a registry cleaner like ccleaner to remove the invalid registry entries in the system and then try again.

If that does not work, get the older version from Opera Web Browser | Faster & safer | Download the new Internet browsers free and reinstall and uninstall before installing the newer version.

EDIT: The link above lists only upto 9.27 version... Since your version is 9.25, you should go to *arc.opera.com/pub/opera/win/925/en/ for the download link

Arun

OP
Kishal

Kishal

Aadivasi Hungryyy!!!
Tried both the stuff you said above. even after removing registry entries both manually and with ccleaner, opera 9.25 still appears in the programs list. on uninstalling it , the given error occurs and on canceling that opera is removed from the list. but on opening the programs list again, its still there.
i also downloaded the opera 9.25 setup from brothersoft. on installing it, the programs list shows two instances of opera 9.25, not one. on unistalling the corrupt one, the error box that appears asks for a file called opera installer.msi. I tried using the downloaded setup for the cause, but it is not recognized as a valid setup for opera, even though i installed the whole program again from it and its working.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Try this next

Attempt No. 3: Check this website *windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm for removing invalid entry in add/remove list... After this, see if installation works...

Attempt No. 4: first, backup your registry and create a system restore point. Then, open regedit, and search for the term Opera and delete all such entries one by one (you can also try out this tool at Parhelia Tools - RT Scan Tool which will list search results and allow you to select and delete). Then, restart the system and try again...

Arun

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
God I hate .msi files!

Try using Windows Install Clean Up utility. IT has helped me get rid of .msi installed programs in the past .

OP
Kishal

Kishal

Aadivasi Hungryyy!!!
got it guys:mrgreen: heard somewhere the opera 10.63 could be installed in such a condition too. installed it. the prob was with the opera 11 installer. then, out of just sheer inquisitiveness, i checked if opera 11 would install, and it did:-o .

Top Bottom