Opera 10 Final Build Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
Turbocharge your Web experience with Opera 10
Newest browser is packed with innovations to help you get more from the Web'

Oslo, Norway - September 1, 2009 - Opera Software today unveiled the final version of Opera 10. In a world of ordinary Web browsers, Opera 10 stands out from the crowd with innovative new features wrapped in an elegant, fresh interface. Opera 10 is absolutely free, comes in 43 languages including Hindi, and works on Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. You can download the world's most innovative browser from *www.opera.com/.

There are three major things you must try in Opera 10:

1. Opera Turbo, a new compression technology that solves the pain of slow connections.
Whether you are an on-the-go business traveler, you rely on 3G cards in your netbook, or you find yourself stuck on a sluggish Wi-Fi connection, Opera Turbo gives you a major browsing boost.
If your network speed slows to a crawl, simply enable Opera Turbo to browse the Web at broadband-like speeds. Opera Turbo will automatically detect when network speeds will enable you to benefit. Once you turn it on, Opera Turbo instantly compresses pages, so less data needs to be transferred over a limited connection.
Take the Opera Turbo test today. In our laboratory trials, Opera Turbo gives up to eight times faster Web surfing over slow connections than other browsers.
VIDEO - Scandinavians have an obsession for compression. Watch a slightly different take on our Opera Turbo technology: *www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYEUFwJXVvw

2. A sleek and beautiful interface
You have never seen an Opera browser that looks like this. For Opera 10 we gave the browser a streamlined and elegant new interface. The world-class design complements Opera's world-class features that help you get even more out of your Web browsing.

3. Better tabs, from the original pioneer
Opera continues pioneering new ways to use tabs. In Opera 10, resize your tab bar by pulling down on it or double-clicking the handle, revealing a surprise: Opera now shows you full thumbnails of all your open tabs.
Tip: Opera 10's Visual Tabs are placed at the top, but you can put them on either sides or the bottom. Try it with a widescreen monitor.

Opera 10 includes other refinements to help you maximize productivity and get more from your Web-browsing experience:

- Super-sized Speed Dial
Opera's Speed Dial has been emulated all over the Web. Now the original is ready for your personal touch. Have a large monitor? Turn your Speed Dial into a 5x5 grid. Other sizes are available, as well. If you have a favorite picture, you can use it as your Speed Dial's background image.

- Automatic updates for enhanced safety
Opera 10 updates automatically, so you always have the latest version. Now you always take advantage of our newest features and benefit from Opera's strong track record when it comes to protecting our users. Visit secunia.com to see the statistics.

- Check your spelling
Misspell no more. Enter text into any form field or into our e-mail client, and we will make you look good. The Spell Checker supports 51 languages, using the popular open source Hunspell dictionary format.

- Better e-mail with a better e-mail client
Why just browse the Web? Opera puts your e-mail right where you need it, by giving you a built-in e-mail client for optimal productivity. Opera Mail gives you many options to organize, sort and search your mail and contacts. Opera 10 features the fastest and most powerful Opera Mail yet. A new thread reader makes it easy to follow discussions. Combined with our built-in Spell Checker, Opera 10 gives you a great e-mail client and a great browser, all in one.

- The craftsmanship under the hood
Browsing speed is a combination of many factors. We fine-tuned our overall speed, making Opera faster and smoother on resource-intensive pages such as Gmail. Opera 10 is 40% faster in page loading than Opera 9.6 ... and that is before you activate Opera Turbo. Opera is designed not only to be light and fast, but also smart. Our adaptive memory management is optimized to work with your machine, conserving memory if your computer has less RAM and utilizing more memory to enhance performance if your computer has memory to spare.

- Toys for Web developers
Web developers can play with the newest update to Opera Dragonfly, our set of on-board, Web-development tools. Opera Dragonfly, available in 36 languages, now allows you to edit the DOM and inspect HTTP headers. With a 100% score on the ACID3 standards-compliance test, and support for CSS3 Webfonts, Opera 10 is ready whenever inspiration strikes.

What our CEO says:
"At Opera, we have always worked hard to innovate new ways to improve everyone's browsing experience," said Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera. "Opera Turbo is our newest innovation, and one we think everyone should try, because we all will face a slow connection at some point. Now, there is a solution, and it is absolutely free. We are excited to offer Opera 10 to the world, and we hope even more people discover what the 40 million people who have already made the switch know: browsing with Opera makes the Web a safer, more enjoyable and more interesting place."

Availability
Opera 10 comes in 43 languages, including Hindi, for Windows, Mac and Linux computers. It is available completely free from *www.opera.com/.

Important resources
Learn more about the features that make Opera unique:*www.opera.com/products/desktop
See the trailer video:
[youtube]qHKGQ6sGauk[/youtube]
View the collection of screenshots: *www.opera.com/press/resources/
We worked hard on Opera 10. Check out the full changelog:
*www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/
Connect with Opera's development team: *my.opera.com/desktopteam/

Received via e-mail

Its also on ThinkDigit's front page, however the article is shockingly poor.

With Chrome, and Firefox being open source browsers, and Safari based on the open source WebKit engine (and the closed sourced IE continually and widely derided), perhaps Opera needs to go down the open source path too to gain better features. After all, all the "cool" browsers are doing it.

Opera Source has nothing to do with features or extensions. API is what you need.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
oh yeah!!!!! upgrade time xD :D

Edit: uhh :( The Final build with Opera Unite isn't out yet. :( I'll still be using the Beta 3 because it has Opera Unit. :(

Article said:
*www.thinkdigit.com/Internet/Opera-10-Released_3374.html
This article on the front page is a joke. :| no offence to the writer.

First try Opera Unite and then say. Opera Turbo = superficial? :lol: People on limited connection will know it's value. :/ Extensions? Does Opera really need extensions?

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
WoW! Worlds greatest browser gets it's 10.x final release :p
I'm so glad to know & I'm using it :p

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
first that trailer sucks. They tried to make a trailer similar to what MS did for MS Office 2010.

second, we do need extensions and plugins. that is why I am using firefox.

third, they need to open up and let others join the party of developing extensions for them. sitting in a closed room will not work if you want to bring others in.

I do agree that opera is fast but being only fast is not at all enough and that is the main reason why it has mediocre market share.

The reason why they are doing well in mobile market is there is no real competitor right now and once FF mini comes out, they will lose marketshare in mobile market too.

It doesn't matter whether they allow to put notes on a fridge or allow access of songs. priority is "internet browsing" and in that FF is miles ahead.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmm what are the extensions which an average guy uses in Firefox?

I use the following extensions in Firefox - Adblock Plus, Chatzilla for IRC and Stylish.

Opera can do everything what the above extensions can do for Firefox without any 'extensions'.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
it's not just using two or three extensions.

You have the choice to choose among hundreds of extensions. check here: *addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox

I too stayed away from FF as I dind't have enough RAM earlier to run it as it is a heavy browser. now that I have a 4Gb RAM, I quickly jumped on.

flashgot
videodownloadhelper
gmail notifier
cooliris
foxytunes
fire.fm
stumbleupon
WOT (this is very very useful for me)
foxytunes

weather notifiers
score tickers
RSS feed readers
adblockers
calendars

and there are many that I have not yet explorer.

And If I don't one that matches my requirement, I can go ahead and write an add-on as per my requirement.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ you actually missed out Ubiquity - *labs.mozilla.com/ubiquity/

But then it again depends on the taste. I was actually using Firefox since it was Preview Release 0.8, before switching to Opera a few months ago. If Opera opens up extensions development, it wouldn't be a bad move and I will welcome it.

But calling the likes of Safari and Chrome better than Opera - like in that article is a joke tbh.

I guess many know about this, 100/100 on Acid3 for Opera.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^that I agree, If not Firefox, my immediate choice would be Opera and then Chrome.

I used Safari only for few days, only to see it's cache eating up 6-7Gb of space for that idiotic coverflow.

Chrome is just a browser. that's it. It doesn't even have the feature set that Opera has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom