openSUSE 12.1 GNOME x86_64 installation and dual boot windows 7

piyushlpn

Right off the assembly line
I am trying to install openSUSE 12.1 64bit in my laptop(Dell intel core i5,4gb ram,64bit,ATI 550v 1GB) alongside windows 7.I want to install it in the 40Gb unallocated space that i have created in windows as shown.But while installing ,openSUSE suggested some kind of partitioning which i could not understand.please check the screenshots and suggest me what to do.
screenshot1.png
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot3.png
Screenshot4.png
Screenshot5.jpg
Screenshot6.jpg

Tech&ME

Banned
Well the solution is :

1. You will need to remove all the partitions from your hard disk. Since Dell has pre-installed the OS on your hard disk with its own recovery partition it makes the mbr unchangable, which is what any linux will try to do.

2. Backup everything on your hard disk.

3. Remove all the partition and create fresh partitions from within windows and and install windows 7 from DVD [ not recovery DVD ]

4. Now install Linux in the 2nd partition you just created.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think OP needs some free unallocated space to install Open Suse and there's should be three partitions like :

/boot - set it t at-least 200 MiB
/root - all your data / program files will be here so make it as large as possible
/swap - the linux pagefile

OP
piyushlpn

piyushlpn

Right off the assembly line
I think OP needs some free unallocated space to install Open Suse and there's should be three partitions like :

/boot - set it t at-least 200 MiB
/root - all your data / program files will be here so make it as large as possible
/swap - the linux pagefile

Howmuch space is required(i have given 40GB)?
And i could not set /boot /root /swap because while doing custom partition i am getting error shown in screenshot-4

Anish

Spectre
Manually partition the hard drive yourself and allocate the unallocated space as topgear suggested. Create partitions like
/boot - 200MB
/root
/home
/swap - 1GB

NOTE: Backup before you do anything.

Top Bottom