OpenSuSE 11.0 & 11.1 Packages+Dependencies June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Hi everyone
A few days back, Novell released the latest version of OpenSuSE, version 11.0. I started downloading the distro as soon as it was officially released, and completed the download the day before yesterday. I first installed it with KDE 4, and like before, it sucks big time. I guess itś a matter of choice, but I still prefer KDE 3.5.x. Gnome is pretty well done this time and is very slick and fast.
Anyway, as I did with OpenSuSE 10.3, I have made an archive of some multimedia applications with their dependencies whcih can be used on PCs not connected to the internet or for mass installation. This has been tested on KDE4, KDE 3.5 and GNOME.

Packages:
kchmviewer
mplayer, mplayer plugin
audacious
k3b, k3b-codecs
sox
devede
audacity
avidemux
ffmpeg
transcode
ntfs-config
vlc
libdvdcss
w32codecs

Download the archive June2008 from here
Mirror 1: Mediafire
Mirror 2: FTP Download

An optional archive is this i686.zip that contains extra packages for i686 architecture. If you are not sure whether you need it or not, better download it too.
Mirror 1: Mediafire
Mirror 2: FTP Download

Extract the archive(s) to a folder called June2008 in your home folder.

Note: KDE4 ark seems to have some issues??? The Extract function of the gui in Ark does not seem to work, at least for me. You can work around this by clicking on the archive to open it in a window, press Ctrl and A on your keyboard to select all the rpms, minimise this window, open your home folder, create the June2008 folder, and paste the contents into it; then it works fine.

Steps:
1. Press Alt and F2 and type the following
if you are a KDE user
yast *img410.imageshack.us/img410/9876/s1uo7.th.png
if you are a GNOME user
yast2 *img45.imageshack.us/img45/252/g1jg3.th.png
and press ENTER

2. Key in your root password and press ENTER
*img294.imageshack.us/img294/4880/g2qv1.th.png *img516.imageshack.us/img516/1858/s2lb4.th.png

3. GNOME users click Software->Software repositories
*img57.imageshack.us/img57/4319/g3lo3.th.png *img385.imageshack.us/img385/1443/g4vd6.th.png
KDE users click Software management
*img410.imageshack.us/img410/1827/s3hl1.th.png

Now you will see the window below
*img385.imageshack.us/img385/6784/g5cl5.th.png *img410.imageshack.us/img410/6443/s4tj8.th.png

4. Click Add and you will get this window, in that select local directory and deselect download repository description files
*img45.imageshack.us/img45/4632/g6kw7.th.png *img516.imageshack.us/img516/786/s5jj8.th.png

5. Add the repository name as June2008, Browse to it with the browse button, and select plain rpm directory
*img57.imageshack.us/img57/8408/g7si3.th.png *img410.imageshack.us/img410/9640/s6gb4.th.png

6. Click Finish when youŕe done
*img385.imageshack.us/img385/9140/g8iq7.th.png *img410.imageshack.us/img410/4420/s7pd5.th.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Re: OpenSuSE 11.0 Packages+Dependencies June 2008

7. Now click on Software Management
*img45.imageshack.us/img45/157/g9hu0.th.png *img516.imageshack.us/img516/539/s8ci8.th.png

8. In GNOME type the package name in the filters box and see the package automatically come up as you type.
*img57.imageshack.us/img57/2594/g10dx3.th.png
Select the package and click install. Repeat this step with all the packages listed above till you have finished all, then click Apply in that window.

KDE users - type the name of package you are looking for in the search box and click search
*img516.imageshack.us/img516/217/s9hm8.th.png *img517.imageshack.us/img517/1050/s10ov0.th.png *img116.imageshack.us/img116/9500/s11fk5.th.png
When you find the package you want check it. The dependencies will automatically get selected.
Do this till you cover all the above packages. Click Apply

Enjoy your OpenSuSE 11.0 !!!
Next update will be on August 1st 2008.

Package list added, I forgot :S My bad

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!

Thanks a lot NucleusKore.

OFF-Topic: I installed this release but my Net Connection keeps dropping/hang if i keave it idle, and I have to be root user to connect to the net by ifup dsl0. How can i do the same under normal user?

Pat

Beyond Smart

^^Are you using KDE or GNOME on OpenSUSE ?

Pat

Beyond Smart

^^ Give KInternet a try..It works ok for non-root users and also you have an option to set idle time-out which should help in solving the internet dropping problem

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent

I downloaded the live cd of OpenSuse 11 x64bit (KDE), I need to test run it but cant figure out how to mount my hdd drives & CD rom using the live cd.
I guess you can help me with it.

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint

Thanks a lot NucleusKore.

OFF-Topic: I installed this release but my Net Connection keeps dropping/hang if i keave it idle, and I have to be root user to connect to the net by ifup dsl0. How can i do the same under normal user?

Thanks
You can fix your problem. I have an always on connection so I cannot really say, but when you open your dsl configuration through yast there is a checkbox to be ticked which says allow non root user to connect via kinternet
Make sure that is ticked
Then install KInternet through Yast->Software management

Rahim

Married!

Kinternet is already installed but when i run it an error window pops up with these messages
Connection to local and remote server
refused. Maybe smpppd is not running
or you are not member of the group "dialout".
Also check the server settings in
the dialog "Various Settings".

@Pat: How much idletime should i enter ?

Another problem is whenever i try to open ,say kwrite, it says it cannot connect to x server.

what is this archive for?
This is for offline installation of the mentioned packages with its depemdencies.

Last edited:
OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint

Connection to local and remote server
refused. Maybe smpppd is not running.....
Go to Yast->system->system services and then enable smppd

or you are not member of the group "dialout".
Also check the server settings in
the dialog "Various Settings".

open your dsl configuration through yast there is a checkbox to be ticked which says allow non root user to connect via kinternet

Rahim

Married!

Nope. Didnt work. When i click Kinternet icon ,the modem light blinks but no net connection as the op of ifconfig doent show dsl0. I had to use su and enter ifup dsl0 to connect again. I have done everything you told me but....

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint

Sorry am lost here, I cannot guide you as I have done it only once. Give me two days time and I'll see if I can go to a friend's place and write a tutorial

Rahim

Married!

^OK and thanks for lending me an ear!!!

I used This How To for my Connection

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint

Yes have seen that, it's Swerdna's site. He is an advanced user in OpenSuSE, especially SAMBA.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie

^^ Hey. Nice job. Have you had any problems with VLC and Gnome?

I have 10 crash reports saved here. VLC crashes when I close it. I tried IRC and it seems to be a buggy package. It also seems that the issue is fixed oin 0.9 beta release.

Again, pulse audio does not give any sound output for VLC. You need to change the engine to OSS or ALSA.

Have you noticed this?

praka123

left this forum longback

pulse audio is not the culprit.it is the apps which should upgrade to pulse sound server :p

Pat

Beyond Smart

Kinternet is already installed but when i run it an error window pops up with these messages

@Pat: How much idletime should i enter ?

1. Setup your dsl connection in yast
2. KInternet should automatically pickup (see if you can see dsl0 in the connection list when right clicking on KInternet)
3. Right Click on KInternet icon in sys tray and click on "Dial in"
4. The icon should change if successfully connected.

Idle time should be set to 0 so that it never disconnects!

Also, select Manage networks with "Network Manager" option in Yast before trying this!

Last edited:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie

pulse audio is not the culprit.it is the apps which should upgrade to pulse sound server :p

I am just saying, at this moment, neither stable nor testing version of VLC are able to provide audio output with pulseAudio.

Rahim

Married!

1. Setup your dsl connection in yast
2. KInternet should automatically pickup (see if you can see dsl0 in the connection list when right clicking on KInternet)
3. Right Click on KInternet icon in sys tray and click on "Dial in"
4. The icon should change if successfully connected.

Idle time should be set to 0 so that it never disconnects!

Also, select Manage networks with "Network Manager" option in Yast before trying this!
When i roght-click on Kinternet ,its shows etho and not dsl0.
I have chosen Traditional Method in DSL connection (ifup). OK i will change it to "Select Manage networks with "Network Manager" option in Yast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom