OpenOffice Gets 'Premium' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
OpenOffice, a free alternative to Microsoft Office has just gotten a premium edition. OpenOffice can trace its roots the rather clunky Staroffice, which was a cross-platform suite available in the late 90s. Staroffice was picked up by Sun in 1999 and released as an open source project 2 yrs later in 2001. Since then the project has matured and found increasing acceptance.

Now in a bid to bring it closer to the functionality of Microsoft Office, a group of OpenOffice enthusiasts have rebuilt the bundle and included extras such as clipart, document templates and fonts. With this initiative the team hopes more people will start using Openoffice and it will find greater acceptance in the corporate markets.

Though the word ‘Premium’ has been used in this new install, the software still remains free. ‘Premium’ is used to detonate the increased functionality as compared to the rather stark and bare to bones version that is the normal installer.

Source

Download

borg

In the zone
I think Openoffice will loose it's position very soon if nothing is done to update it. MS Office 2007 is a landmark release & will rule as far as functionality is concerned. Openoffice will have to modernise or die. Things such as free or not, closed or open, is largely irrelevant for the mainstream.

Vyasram

The pWnster
already posted
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50108

anyway, i think it wud be better to post software releases/hardware releases in the Reviews section rather than news

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Vyasram said:
anyway, i think it wud be better to post software releases/hardware releases in the Reviews section rather than news
Reviews: A forum to discuss/review ONLY software and hardware products. All your queries about the same go into Respective TroubleShooting Sections and QnA. Your views and first-hand experiences[b/] on any software or hardware from OSes to Graphics cards are all welcome here. Note: The views/reviews contained within this section are purely the opinions of the posters

@vyasram ... no offence but i havnt tried the new openoffice so acc. to my vocabulary and the definition of Reviews section i did not deem it fit to put it there .... and i scanned the tech news section for this topic finding nothing resulted me in posting it .... none the less as pointed out by vyasram its repost so mods lock it up

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
mAV3 said:
‘Premium’ is used to detonate the increased functionality as compared to the rather stark and bare to bones version that is the normal installer.

um.... denote means "to specify". Detonate means "to (cause to) explode"

Pathik

Google Bot
well led u mite wanna give the oOo ppl some english lessons... :D
btw i agree wit borg... oOo doesnt compare to ms office 2007.

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
pathiks said:
well led u mite wanna give the oOo ppl some english lessons... :D
btw i agree wit borg... oOo doesnt compare to ms office 2007.
I don't like Ms Office much. I prefer the minimal layout of OOo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom