Open Suse 10.2 Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
In Open suse 10.2 I am running KDE, How can I switch in GNOME,when I log in it never showed any login screen where the session option available and it never ask username and password also.

How I can enable all this feature ?

I configure my network card via Yast-->Network Cards-->Traditional method with ifup--->Address-->
and put the IP address and subnet mask...but where to put the dns address ?

The setting must be according this page
*www.calcuttatelephones.com/dataoneinstall/mu03.html

Can any please help.......

I download opera (Opensuse 10.2 version) from opera website and save it to desktop,how can I install it ?

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
dissel said:
In Open suse 10.2 I am running KDE, How can I switch in GNOME,when I log in it never showed any login screen where the session option available and it never ask username and password also.
Open KDE Control Centre, go to Login and disable Automatic login

dissel said:
I configure my network card via Yast-->Network Cards-->Traditional method with ifup--->Address-->
and put the IP address and subnet mask...but where to put the dns address ?
I dunno much about the GUI way but CLI way is
Code:
su
nano -w /etc/resolv.conf
Now type in your DNS servers here in following format
nameserver 202.88.130.15
nameserver 202.88.130.5
replace 202.88.130.15 and 202.88.130.5 with whatever you have.
dissel said:
I download opera (Opensuse 10.2 version) from opera website and save it to desktop,how can I install it ?
rpm -ivh <path to file>
It's better to use package manager rather.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
A) If its like 10.1 than the name server settings are in the Yast-->Network Cards-->Traditional method with ifup--->Address-->
Where you give the ip and subnet mask, below that you will see a hostname and nameserver button, click on that and enter it there

B) Otherwise,
1. Open a shell, by pressing alt and F2, and typing konsole or xterm and clicking ok.
2. Type su, press enter, feed your root password and press enter.
3. Then type at the prompt

vi /etc/resolv.conf

and press enter

4. Press the insert key once
and type the following if it isn't already there, otherwise simply go to the appropriate line with the arrow keys and edit

nameserver 125.22.47.125
nameserver 202.56.250.5

where the ip addresses are of your primary and secondary dns lookup addresses. I have used mine as an example here.

5. Then press the escape key once and type

:wq

and press enter

6. now type

service network restart

and press enter

7. press ctrl and D twice in succession to exit

OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
@NucleusKore
Thank you Sir, Thanks a lot for your nice help....as I know you are dedicated Suse user.
Yes my problem solve with GUI way which you described.

@tech_your_future

Where is the KDE Control Center ?
I found Configure Desktop/Personal Settings, where System Administration--->Login Manger--->(After enabling Administrator Mode)--->Convenience

It display the Auto Login Disabled.

here is the screenshot

*img259.imageshack.us/img259/1315/scr1ph8.png

What I do now ? I want every time it ask me for user name and password and also give me the option like choosing desktop environment.....like a proper linux behaviour.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
^^Here is how you do it. Go to yastmodules->security and users->user management->choose the user u want to disable autologin->expert options->login settings and disable autologin.

Source

OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
@phreak0utt

Thanks it working now.....great.

In yast I add Video Lan player Repository,

Acording to this page *www.videolan.org/vlc/download-suse.html

but can't get the player. I add the packman repo too but nothin work....I can't play any MP3 or
any divx file.

*img329.imageshack.us/img329/1646/scr2uy5.png

So please help me...How can I do all this ?

I followed this post *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=365809&postcount=1

I also download the vlc rpm file but nothin works.

phreak0ut

I don't know if you really went through till the last post. Even after installing the w32codec, mp3s and videos didn't work on my system either. You need to have all the xine libraries installed. Go to YaST and type xine in Software Management. Check all that shows up as xine. You also need your CDs/DVD handy, so keep it ready. Just install and you will be able to play your audio and video. Coming to the VLC part, I had to play around a bit with the repo link before it finally installed on my system. Since you have got the repo right and ON, go back to Software Management and type vlc. You should see the dependencies there. Check all of 'em and install. You might be interested with this site as well ;)

freebird

Debian Rocks!
dissel said:
Try installing GDM(gnome desktop manager) instead of most prolly installed kdm from Yast2 pkg manager.Also there is something like "switchdesk" command to set gnome2 default.U can check some file like
/etc/sysconfig/desktop to edit and replace kde to gnome.

If you are going to use gnome or gnome apps @ minimum,U should try getting gstreamer0.10 plugins.with VLC player,it seems weird,i cant help u directly coz not using susee linux.
but..you can try installing VLC player via CLI by downloading VLC player and using rpm -ivh foobar.rpm cmd.
It though shows the dependencies that needs to be sorted out and u may manually download and install:?
*download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/10.2/i586/

OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
phreak0utt said:
I don't know if you really went through till the last post. Even after installing the w32codec, mp3s and videos didn't work on my system either. You need to have all the xine libraries installed. Go to YaST and type xine in Software Management. Check all that shows up as xine. You also need your CDs/DVD handy, so keep it ready. Just install and you will be able to play your audio and video. Coming to the VLC part, I had to play around a bit with the repo link before it finally installed on my system. Since you have got the repo right and ON, go back to Software Management and type vlc. You should see the dependencies there. Check all of 'em and install. You might be interested with this site as well ;)

@phreak0utt
I tried to search the Yast Software Management XINE & VLC.....
In Xine some component are installed,when I try to install remaining those it pop up that it will conflict with other.

and when the VLC turn....it shows all components are need to install...and when tick them up....it pop up conflict warning...I ignore and continue...after some time it ain't install at all.

As this web link suggest here *en.opensuse.org/YaST_package_repository
I add the Packman,Guru,VLC VideoLan Client,suser-jengelh,Scorot,GnuCash
repository to my yast software source.

So,now my yast look like this
*img171.imageshack.us/img171/483/scr1uq7.png

and the software updater in the task bar stated 56 update available....
but when I update my system it says :-

Dependency Resolution Failed

*img171.imageshack.us/img171/4900/scr2bb3.png

What the wrong I did ?

hailgautam

Youngling
hey, you have to install the xine and all the related stuff - they would be available on the DVD itself and should not be a problem, By the way what application you are using to play mp3 and dvds, in my system I am not able to use Totem Player - which was the default player.- to play anything - it says that no codecs are available, I use Kaffine for video and Amarok for mp3.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Please note the difference between xine-lib and libxine. If you are confused, remove xine-lib and whatever comes off with it. The install libxine, kaffeine, and w32. Should work :)

OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
At last.....I can enable all the multimedia stuff in Suse 10.2.

I Install all the package of VLC by force download....and VLC play all the Video/Audio.

Then I go to install 'g streamer010 ugly' and all it's plug in....[I remember the Ubuntu stuff]
Now I can play MP3 in Amarok/Helix player/Totem

divx movie can be played with Totem,Kafine.
Kafine can be able to play dvd.
Only totem can't play DVD-Video.
To enable full Multimedia stuff it takes near about 6-hours for a noob like me.

Last edited:
OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hi,
I have a .bin file....Is there any way to convert it as a .rpm file so I can use it in SUSE ?

I have Fat32 partition which contained some file size between 600 MB to 2 GB of each...whenever I try to delete those it takes more than 5 min,and dialog box appear saying like 'request in progresses'. Is there any way to make fast delete processes ?

In SUSE where I can enable the NFS service ?

I want to download the AVG from here *free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-spyware-free

but it always says "Error 404"...Is there any repository available for AVG ?

phreak0ut

dissel said:
I want to download the AVG from here *free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-spyware-free

but it always says "Error 404"...Is there any repository available for AVG ?

Why do you want an anti-virus for linux? You are just letting it suck up more of your disk space and memory. There is a thread as to why you don't need an anti-virus for your linux box. Search for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom