Open source protestor crashes Bill Gates' speech in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
We've certainly seen a variety of crashings go down on stage, but a determined protester and undeterred advocate for open source software rudely (albeit humorously) interrupted Bill Gates' speech at Peking University in Beijing, China. Gates, who was speaking on the topic of Innovation in China's future and receiving (yet another) honorary manager title, had his after-party all shook up by an off-kilter open source proponent who reportedly darted across the stage, "loudly shouted against Microsoft's monopoly," proudly displayed a sign of "Free software, open source," and was promptly "tackled by security and removed for questioning." It was suggested that the culprit may have been a member of the Linux Professional Institute, and while we're not exactly sure if Michael Dell would've shown any forgiveness, feel free click on through for a closeup of the sign and the unfortunate aftermath.
*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/04/4-20-07-gates_mishap_1.jpg

*www.engadget.com/2007/04/20/open-source-protestor-crashes-bill-gates-speech-in-china/

signs of presence of alternate OS power!!

*seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/312496_gates20ww.html

T

thunderbird.117

Very cool. Iam looking forward more of this. :D

Go open source kick the microsoft where it hurts. :)

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
It's good that people in China support open source.As windows vista release in china only fueled piracy..

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
All the people who are appreciating that guy, let me tell you quite frankly that he is an idiot. The only one who lost anything in this whole scenario is he himself. Not only is this stupidity, it is also indecency and it should not be encouraged. There are better ways to support something you have a passion for.

shantanu_webmaster said:
another FUD.. by a FAN BOY...
You do not know the full form of FUD.

T

thunderbird.117

aryayush said:
You do not know the full form of FUD.

I wanted to ask the same question. Iam pretty sure he will refer in wikipedia to see what it is ;).:D

shantanu

Technomancer
i didnt see this thread... quite a long time.. i didnt knew that you guys were cursing me this much.. great... and btw.. its better that some people start mindeing their own business , rather then to start showing this much ignorance... well i think you guys can understand what i mean....

and thunderbird mind it.... dont dare ever to try this things on me...

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
shantanu_webmaster, I have said this time and again and I will keep repeating it every time I see you making such posts. Take it easy, dude!
You are offended at every tiny little thing.

You said "another FUD [sic]". (1) That is grammatically incorrect. (2) The sentence does not make any sense either way.
It's like someone learns a new word and starts using it in every sentence whether it fits there or not.

C'mon, cheer up and take it easy. :)

shantanu

Technomancer
@aryayush.. mind your own business plz.. and stay chill.. and stop acting like a critic.. you arent a moderator in the forum..

and if i am wrong.. i ask mods to please tell me that

Last edited:

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
aryayush said:
All the people who are appreciating that guy, let me tell you quite frankly that he is an idiot. The only one who lost anything in this whole scenario is he himself. Not only is this stupidity, it is also indecency and it should not be encouraged. There are better ways to support something you have a passion for.
Agreed. Protesters like these are just overgrown stupid kids, who apprantly read too much into the fandom. While UNIX/Linux/Solaris are very powerful and politically correct these days, if it weren't for Microsoft and the IBM PC, most of the current desktop owners would've never existed. Show some respect.

eddie

El mooooo
Updates on MS Protester

Source: ooo-speak
Xinhua has more on the protester who demonstrated against Bill Gates's Beijing performance. Evidently, the protester was none other than the esteemed "WangKaiyuan, chief China representative of the Linux Professional Institute (LPI)." According to the article, "Wang was said to be the first to introduce the international free software day to China. Before joining the LPI, he was with CSDN.net and worked for the Open Source Software Promotion Union in 2006."

FOSS is important in China. As the article states, "Industry experts say Linux has taken off in China, largely because of massive government procurement, but the Chinese software firms have yet to see the explosive growth experienced by their Western competitors due to lack of skills and customer credibility."

Let's change that. I'm going to be visiting Beijing later this May in part to discuss how to develop local communities that can work with the international ones. The virtue of FOSS, after all, is that it starts with the premise that all we do is done in the context of horizonless collaboration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom