OLD PC....Suggest softwares please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
Hi,
Mah Aunty has an old PC with 32 MB RAM,333 MHz, 3 GB hardisk. She uses the PC mostly for typing her documents and accesses the net rarely that too from dialup!

Now I want to know some softwares that can satisfy such configuration. The softwares that I'm planning to fill it up are Win98, MsOffice2000,Winzip,Winrar.

Now she didnt have a broadband connection in the past and now she's planning to have one. So I have to put some antivirus on it too now. I cant put kaspersky coz I think it needs min 64 MB RAM.

I dont wanna experiment with every software that can run smoothly on it.
So guys(specially the one with OLD PCs) I want some help. Please name some softwares for such PC. I want some security softwares too for it so that the PC can run smoothly for over an year coz I dont wanna visit her everytime if her PC gets crashed and 98 I think is known for that!

I cant suggest her Linux coz she's doesnt even know how to use 98 properly too! But I think I will give her a Live Cd of DAmn Small Linux, if 98 doesnt work temporarily!

So friends please suggest all the softwares that u can for such PC and specially some good new antivirus that can run on 32 MB RAM coz OLD antiviruses have no meaning and will need a hell lotta update before setting up them in action!

Upgradation is the Last advice I'll give her!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
hmm... u may take a look at here... :)

*www.oldversion.com/

*www.oldapps.com/

Last edited:

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
you will have to teach her how to prevent atacks off the net...... just antiviruses and anti-malware won't do.

and you WILL have to tell her how to manage hewr comp and keep it's hard drive tidy. My brother (who is not a n00b) stuffed his drive so tightly that it wheezes rather than anything.

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
@Saurav,@Vishal ...... thanx man! I'll look into the sites now!
@led_shankar.....bro I told she doesnt even understand 98 properly. Then instead teaching her about malware,virus....isnt it it better to teach her linux simply?? If she was that good in technical area....then who needed me??

Please keep posting......I'll take action on her PC after my exams!

praka123

left this forum longback
use linux its light on resources with a Light Weight desktop.

*www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/02/13/1854251

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
use puppy linux. It is very low on resources, high in performamnce, blindingly fast and not suscetible to viruses. It has got virtually every application for doing computer work. It is not complicated and can be easily learned.

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
Guys guys! I told I dont wanna use linux.....just name some old,fitting softwares for such PC!
Linux is the second last option and upgradation is the last advice I'll give her!

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
@Mediator: I realised that. But you will have to tell her what to do to keep her comp neat nad tidy.... It is a must! Just tell her things like "don't download from sites that do not look popular/famous...", "run disk defragmenter and the antivirus every now and then"

If she starts using broadband... she will need to know things like that.

P.S. - there is a nice, low resource media player called @max trayplayer..... that should be nice.

I suppose mIRC would be complicated.

Even I don't agree with linux....the newbie friendly versions of linux are too recent and resource hungry.

And you should definitely show her how to back up data.

OP
mediator

mediator

Technomancer
@led_shankar...........Yea I agree. Lets see how much I can help her specially with that old PC! Thats a real challenge!
Until then keep posting all the softwares to make a good workable PC!

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
the toughest part is enjoying the benefits of broadband with a pc like that

plus the virus etc. issue that comes with the internet. More important than installing s/w , in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom