Official Samsung Spica Discussion Thread

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Re: samsung i5700 or i7500 ?

I guess he was referring to this
*img22.imageshack.us/img22/7376/captureal.jpg
If you read it correctly, it says you can move user data, not apps.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

I am still having the id3 tag issue..

Tried a whole bunch of players but the issue still persists...

Any way to solve this problem because I dnt want to re-rip all of my music...??
Why do you want to re-rip again??
Just use any tagging app and batch tag them that's it.
I prefer "Tag & rename", been using it for almost three years now.

I'm sure it's because of the app you used to copy files from iPod. Have you tried copying files from PC, are there any problems with those too??

Last edited:

sachitgul

Journeyman

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Why do you want to re-rip again??
Just use any tagging app and batch tag them that's it.
I prefer "Tag & rename", been using it for almost three years now.

All my songs have cover art and tags...
And hw do I batch tag??

When I tried to edit a tag in winamp it was perfect bt still it doesn't show up on my phone

Shuld I try renaming em??
Bt den again hw do I rename 1200 files present in around 300 folders..??

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

All my songs have cover art and tags...
And hw do I batch tag??

When I tried to edit a tag in winamp it was perfect bt still it doesn't show up on my phone

Shuld I try renaming em??
Bt den again hw do I rename 1200 files present in around 300 folders..??
Download and Install "Tag & Rename" application for that. Then you can batch edit and Batch rename them.
BTW have you tried copying some Music albums from PC and checked if the tags are working??

Which app did you use to copy files from iPod??
Next time try copytrans or Songbird.

sachitgul

Journeyman

Download and Install "Tag & Rename" application for that. Then you can batch edit and Batch rename them.
BTW have you tried copying some Music albums from PC and checked if the tags are working??

Which app did you use to copy files from iPod??
Next time try copytrans or Songbird.

used an app called TouchCopy..
i will try Songbirb and copytrans tomo..

which one would u recommend??

sachitgul

Journeyman

i just downloaded Tag & Rename..
even in that it shows all the id3 tags perfectly..

nw waht do i do??

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

woke up today morning and decided enough is enough , already waited for long to let samsung release it officially. So decided to upgrade mine via odin to 2.1.
Fiddled around for 3hrs to get it work and viola once it worked firmware update was over within 5 Mins and now I'm on 2.1 :))
BTW the boot screen now shows Phone model number, ok phone boots with 2.1:) gotta go play with it and I'll post my views on 2.1 :))

Last edited:
OP
A

ankitsagwekar

woke up today morning and decided enough is enough , already waited for long to let samsung release it officially. So decided to upgrade mine via odin to 2.1.
Fiddled around for 3hrs to get it work and viola firmware update was over within 5 Mins and now I'm on 2.1 :))
BTW the boot screen now shows Phone model number, ok phone boots with 2.1:) gotta go play with it and I'll post my views on 2.1 :))

waiting for review

sachitgul

Journeyman

Fiddled around for 3hrs to get it work and viola firmware update was over within 5 Mins and now I'm on 2.1 :))

did u flash using the official one or some other version??

and im a lil new to this flashing thing..
wat is odin??

can u please post a step by step guide of it..
it would be of great help..

:)

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

used an app called TouchCopy..
i will try Songbirb and copytrans tomo..

which one would u recommend??

a lil help on this plz..

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

dude what is dis!?!?
app data?!?
as in cache and stuff like dat or smtn else??

will this like clear up my onboard memory??
shuld i use the pc suite for this??

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

did u flash using the official one or some other version??

and im a lil new to this flashing thing..
wat is odin??

can u please post a step by step guide of it..
it would be of great help..

:)

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

a lil help on this plz..

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

dude what is dis!?!?
app data?!?
as in cache and stuff like dat or smtn else??

will this like clear up my onboard memory??
shuld i use the pc suite for this??

That app data is confusing, When they say moving app data, I presume they were mentioning that I can move my user data from phone memory(moviNAND) to SD card, so that I can free up phone memory and may be this way I can retain/restore my data even after formatting. I'm not sure about this, just a guess.

Regarding your tags problem, I can't understand what could be wrong. Can you mail me a song from that so that I can see what might be problem with tags or do this, just send me a screen shot of tag & rename of those songs.

Coming to 2.1 Eclair, I followed various guides mainly Sameer prabhakar's guide and samsung firmware forums. So all credits to them :)

I used Win 7 ultimate 32bit and this is what I did step by step.

1. Download the required tools and firmware from this link, *samsung-firmware.webs.com/samsungnews.htm. What you need are 2.1 Firmware, in this case I570EXXJCE(Official European I guess) and ODIN 4.03 Flashing tool and Spica_jc3.ops file. Alternatively Download Spica_jc3.ops from here
  2. Now prepare your phone for upgrade, back up any data/apps you need, sync all the stuff so that nothing is missed. Then remove SIM and memory card. Keep the back cover open, because you might need to remove battery in between retries.
  3. Hard reset your phone using this code *2767*3855#.
  4. Now switch off the phone and boot it in "Download mode" by pressing Volume Down + Camera button + Power On switch. You will get a screen like this
  5. Make sure that NPS(Samsung PC suite) and its processes are killed before going to the next step. Now connect phone to pc and it should install two devices namely "SAMSUNG USB MODEM" under MODEM and "SAMSUNG USB Compostie device" under USB devices in device manager. If device installation fails, then install them manually with these drivers *3.ly/3XNx
  6. Now open ODIN 4.03, if you get a pop up messaging saying some IMAGE ERROR then run it again as administrator. Now click "select OPS" and browse for Spica_jc3.ops and then "Select PDA" and browse for the firmware. Finally make sure that all the selected options looks exactly like this (Leave the one package option unchecked)
  7. Click Start and update should be finished in 2-3 Mins :))
  8. observe the message window in left bottom corner for log info. If it is stuck at setup connection, then devices mentioned in STEP-5 are not installed correctly. Figuring this out was the major task and it took me almost 3 hrs :oops:. This is what I did, for me the device under modem was installed as "SAMSUNG CDMA MODEM" so I used the update driver option under device manager and used the modem drivers from dvr5700.zip. Now it should say "SAMSUNG USB MODEM" else restart pc and try this step again.
  9. If the devices are installed correctly then update should be over in 2-3 mins. Don't wait for hours if it is stuck at some point :p coz it should not take more 5 mins. Review your steps.
  10. At any point if you don't want to upgrade or just want to get into download mode again, just remove and replace battery, it should boot normally. For those who want to try again Follow the procedure in step-4 if you want download mode.
  11. Since this is a European firmware, Change the language to English once it boots.(Its the 5th option from bottom, in settings)
  12. Enjoy Eclair 2.1 :))
Hope I was clear :)
If I wasn't clear, feel free to ask :))

UPDATE New firmwares have english as default language. Newest one is I570EXXJD1

For firmwares which have 4 files, PDA,CSC,PHONE & Bootloader, put them under respective fields in ODIN and Flash

Last edited:

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

Now coming to my initial thoughts on 2.1 after using it for a few hours :)
Since I haven't rooted my phone yet, I'm using screen shots from Sameer Prabhakar's blog. Hope he doesn't mind ;)

At first I noticed boot up is faster and a boot screen with Phone model name is added, in this case " Samsung Galaxy Spica I5700" is shown. Once booted you are welcomed with the new Pantheon Home screen.
*4.bp.blogspot.com/_hboAAPcQdIU/S4Qag7OGWwI/AAAAAAAACSI/vB2Ta3zW_7U/s320/Home.png

Only three wallpapers are pre-installed this time and no live wallpaper!!! I have read some where that I should root and install live wallpaper.apk
Checked the widgets, both Samsung and abdroid widgets, regular widgets are given like clock,etc etc, But what's interesting is the new "Power Control Widget". It has toggles for wifi, bluetooth, gps, autosync and a three step brightness toggle button which saved me almost 3 widgets, though it uses up most of the screen, its quite handy since it is preinstalled, Switchers is also present so its up to you, which one you want to use.
Clock widgets are cool too.

*1.bp.blogspot.com/_hboAAPcQdIU/S4QajjoQOHI/AAAAAAAACSQ/oUG0Lntite8/s320/LeftPane.png

Now fiddled around settings, found a lot of added functionalities for existing options. It even shows battery usage of apps, listed app wise. Synced with my account, got all my contacts back.
At this point I opened market and thankfully it listed all my previously downloaded apps so installing them was easy.
*2.bp.blogspot.com/_hboAAPcQdIU/S4QbbXvKR8I/AAAAAAAACT4/iSRTqazDAiE/s320/Market.png

I found the application menu & scroll lists to be a bit laggy, but overall speed has improved, applications are loading faster and even free ram has increased by almost 15-20 MB and now it shows almost 75-80MB free :))
A file manager is bundled this time. Also noticed Layers app, which I presume is the augmented reality app.

But the major changes were in Camera, Maps and Music apps.

Maps had an update ready(4.1 I guess), so installed it immediately and started fiddling around, boy the new functionalities are quite good :)) , use of layers has given more options to play with maps and it even has a lab addons, similar to gmail labs and a few useful experimental addons. Ahh Finally after this update I was able to use my personalized Private maps from my google maps account. Still there are a lot of options which I'll explore later.

Now coming to the camera app, Image size, brightness level, ISO levels Scene modes can be customized. Zoom button & self timer are added too.
*3.bp.blogspot.com/_hboAAPcQdIU/S4Qh8XuXZdI/AAAAAAAACUg/rktpyacUy-g/s320/Camera.png

Music app seems to have copied straight from Apple ;) Interface is quite similar to iPhone. Looks like even the horizontal album art scrolling is copied from, turning the device changes the interface to iPhone type album art scrolling, the only difference being the album arts move in circular fashion as opposed to horizontal scrolling in Apple.
Even the now playing menu mimics Apple, same exact functionalities, but is very sluggish. Equalizer is added with both fixed and customizable eq's .
*2.bp.blogspot.com/_hboAAPcQdIU/S4QbdCBfrTI/AAAAAAAACUA/06l9aR4-pJs/s320/Music_Player.png
Voice recorder is bundled, which I think was not in 1.5. Search widget is now extended to search user files and contacts.

The most important thing is Battery back up time has improved vastly, almost doubled or tripled(even more :)) ) for me when compared to 1.5.

Overall I feel that I have a whole new different phone in my hand. It's cool, Its fast, uses less battery, added lots of functionalities, animations. Now I feel I made a right decision by skipping I7500, those who bought it now will definitely feel bad about it ;)

OMG I have been writing this for 2hrs :shock:
Anyways this is it about my initial thoughts on 2.1, Now I have to try the new 2.1 apps which were not available for 1.5 and have to fiddle more and have fun :))

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Thanks to kalpik :) thread name is changed now

Last edited:

sachitgul

Journeyman

That app data is confusing, When they say moving app data, I presume they were mentioning that I can move my user data from phone memory(moviNAND) to SD card, so that I can free up phone memory and may be this way I can retain/restore my data even after formatting. I'm not sure about this, just a guess.

Regarding your tags problem, I can't understand what could be wrong. Can you mail me a song from that so that I can see what might be problem with tags or do this, just send me a screen shot of tag & rename of those songs.

Coming to 2.1 Eclair, I followed various guides mainly Sameer prabhakar's guide and samsung firmware forums. So all credits to them :)

I used Win 7 ultimate 32bit and this is what I did step by step.

1. Download the required tools and firmware from this link, *samsung-firmware.webs.com/samsungnews.htm. What you need are 2.1 Firmware, in this case I570EXXJCE(Official European I guess) and ODIN 4.03 Flashing tool and Spica_jc3.ops file.
  2. Now prepare your phone for upgrade, back up any data/apps you need, sync all the stuff so that nothing is missed. Then remove SIM and memory card. Keep the back cover open, because you might need to remove battery in between retries.
  3. Hard reset your phone using this code *2767*3855#.
  4. Now switch off the phone and boot it in "Download mode" by pressing Volume Down + Camera button + Power On switch. You will get a screen like this
  5. Make sure that NPS(Samsung PC suite) and its processes are killed before going to the next step. Now connect phone to pc and it should install two devices namely "SAMSUNG USB MODEM" under MODEM and "SAMSUNG USB Compostie device" under USB devices in device manager. If device installation fails, then install them manually with these drivers *3.ly/3XNx
  6. Now open ODIN 4.03, if you get a pop up messaging saying some IMAGE ERROR then run it again as administrator. Now click "select OPS" and browse for Spica_jc3.ops and then "Select PDA" and browse for the firmware. Finally make sure that all the selected options looks exactly like this
  7. Click Start and update should be finished in 2-3 Mins :))
  8. observe the message window in left bottom corner for log info. If it is stuck at setup connection, then devices mentioned in STEP-5 are not installed correctly. Figuring this out was the major task and it took me almost 3 hrs :oops:. This is what I did, for me the device under modem was installed as "SAMSUNG CDMA MODEM" so I used the update driver option under device manager and used the modem drivers from dvr5700.zip. Now it should say "SAMSUNG USB MODEM" else restart pc and try this step again.
  9. If the devices are installed correctly then update should be over in 2-3 mins. Don't wait for hours if it is stuck at some point :p coz it should not take more 5 mins. Review your steps.
  10. At any point if you don't want to upgrade or just want to get into download mode again, just remove and replace battery, it should boot normally. For those who want to try again Follow the procedure in step-4 if you want download mode.
  11. Since this is a European firmware, Change the language to English once it boots.(Its the 5th option from bottom, in settings)
  12. Enjoy Eclair 2.1 :))
Hope I was clear :)
If I wasn't clear, feel free to ask :))

THANK YOU VERY MUCH...!!!

but are u sure this is the official one??
i mean will there be any differences in the Indian version if they ever release one that is..

then would i be able to shift to that one??
or will this be like a JB where i have to format everything??

for e.g will the google sevices be different??
is google maps different in different countries??

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

and yeah +1 for the thread name change..

also after reading Sriharsha's post i really feel sorry for Galaxy i7500 users..
:grin:

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

THANK YOU VERY MUCH...!!!

but are u sure this is the official one??
i mean will there be any differences in the Indian version if they ever release one that is..

then would i be able to shift to that one??
or will this be like a JB where i have to format everything??

for e.g will the google sevices be different??
is google maps different in different countries??
My Pleasure :)
Yep its the official european firmware, below is their nomenclature according to Samsung firmwares
Samsung Letter Code.

Every firmware have a letter code.
With that code we can check what kind of landcode on the firmware is.

Explains:

Explain: I5700 version - I5700XEIL5 December 2009
XE = Bulgaria, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine, United Kingdom
I = 2009
L = December
5 = Version
Languages = en,et,lt,lv,ru,uk(az,bg,de,fr,ka,kk,mk,ro,sr)
XX = Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
DD India
So this is the official European Firmware.

I don't think there would be any differences other than Language and Access points if it comes to India. Maps would be same. So I think we can switch to Indian firmware once it comes and I think moving apps and data wouldn't be a problem since both are 2.1

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
D only thing im concerned about is the warranty ? Wil flashing void warranty ?

well does it void the warranty???

if yes then maybe i would wait and not flash it using odin...
Don't worry about the warranty guys :)

Hey sachit, you've jailbroken your iPod na, why not give this a shot? Official Indian Firmware is still a long way I guess.

Regarding warranty there's nothing to worry, a friend of mine here bricked his spica(he's a complete noob, but still tried to upgrade just to show off :p) and even got a replacement. That is not an issue I guess.

I have been doing this with my Rokr E6, 5800, iPod touch and now Spica. No issues with warranty at all. Once I've even got a service under warranty with HelloOX on 5800 ;)

sachitgul

Journeyman
Thank Man..
I was worried bcz i have neways lost my bill..:grin:

flashing rite nw..
shuld i use the tar file or the downloaded file itself..?!?!?

and shuld my phone be switched on while i am doing this??

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Thank Man..
I was worried bcz i have neways lost my bill..:grin:

flashing rite nw..
shuld i use the tar file or the downloaded file itself..?!?!?

and shuld my phone be switched on while i am doing this??
Can't understand what you mean by downloaded file ??

Yes, your phone should be switched on, but should be in "Download mode" , refer STEP-4 in that tut

Top Bottom