Official Samsung Spica Discussion Thread

sachitgul

Journeyman
Re: samsung i5700 or i7500 ?

@Sriharsha..

im currently setting up my i5700..
will let u knw on the USB calling thing shortly..

btw..
wat is the issue with apndroid??

i mean i didnt quite understand the toogle data widget..
its just a button toggle ntn else..

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

also how do clear APN type for all my access points...??

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

also how do i scan the QR codes from cryket??
i tried a lot but none of them are getting detected..

should i keep front light on..??

also i thought i shuld type the url from crytek in the custon search url box in setings..
and idk how but after dis somehow it showd up on my clipboard..

man
wat did i just do!??!?!
:oops:

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

ok i solved teh barcode problem..
seemed to be some issue but knw its solved....... :)

i also synced in my contacts but none of em have phone numbers..:pullhair:
all the phone numbers are in the notes section..
for example "general mobile: xyz"

wat shuld i do??!?!?
i do not want to manually put my contacts..

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

went with my friend today to alfa and bought a spica for him for 12.4k

i played with it for a few min just after buying. the cam was good i felt although many ppl had said it wouldnt be good. and i have used n73 before which has a good cam.

then i tried gps which worked like a charm.
i was going in an auto and in google maps our location came up and also the direction in which we were heading and as our position changed the map got updated.

the notifications bar which one has to pull was very smooth overall also the touch screen part is pretty good.

now tommorow my firend will load some more media etc and then i will play with it some more.
Yeah I agree with the cam quality, its much better than my 5800 and a few other 3.2MP phones that I've seen, Due to lack of flash Low light pics are bad else everything is fine.

@Sriharsha..

im currently setting up my i5700..
will let u knw on the USB calling thing shortly..

btw..
wat is the issue with apndroid??

i mean i didnt quite understand the toogle data widget..
its just a button toggle ntn else..

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

also how do clear APN type for all my access points...??

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

also how do i scan the QR codes from cryket??
i tried a lot but none of them are getting detected..

should i keep front light on..??

also i thought i shuld type the url from crytek in the custon search url box in setings..
and idk how but after dis somehow it showd up on my clipboard..

man
wat did i just do!??!?!
:oops:

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

ok i solved teh barcode problem..
seemed to be some issue but knw its solved....... :)

i also synced in my contacts but none of em have phone numbers..:pullhair:
all the phone numbers are in the notes section..
for example "general mobile: xyz"

wat shuld i do??!?!?
i do not want to manually put my contacts..
Apndroid is crashing on my phone, So I've been using Toggle Data widget, which does the same thing, switching off my GPRS.

I Don't understand what do you mean by clearing APN type for access points.

Regarding the barcode scanning, auto exposure of cam is the culprit, some times its too bright to detect barcode, what I do is close the app when its too bright and open it again, it solved the problem for me or else point the cam at bright place so that it auto adjusts to correct exposure level.

Ohhh So you faced the same problem too I guess :oops:, regarding the contact numbers showing up in "Notes".
Try this, first export your gmail contacts as .csv and check the column names, now try to name the phone number columns correctly in your old csv file and upload again, it looks something like PHONE 1 TYPE & PHONE 1 VALUE etc etc.
I did it manually since I had to merge so many email contacts with my mobile contacts. Manually means I had to edit each and every contact :oops:
Took a good 2-3 Hrs, but the end result was satisfying and from now on its a two way sync so you don't have to worry about editing them again.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent

is there a difference in 3.15MP and 5MP

i am planning for i5700-as i feel 800mhz is good

anyway is android code open?...i mean how can we program again the os we want after compiling the kernel....likecan we change the OS code ....is there a cable or something to change the os?

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

--------------
goin to ditch my k810i :p

OP
A

ankitsagwekar

Its your choice at the end of the day buddy, We like i5700. If you feel i7500 to be better go for it na. For me proccy was like future proof so went for it.
Also if there is nothing wrong with that phone, why are they selling it for 10K less. I was skeptical about that, i5700 was my choice :)

i m still confuse in i5700 vs i7500

none of them are future proof because of 128MB RAM

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

went with my friend today to alfa and bought a spica for him for 12.4k

what about i7500 ?

can i get i7500 in mumbai ? if yes @ what price ?

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

is there a difference in 3.15MP and 5MP

i am planning for i5700-as i feel 800mhz is good

anyway is android code open?...i mean how can we program again the os we want after compiling the kernel....likecan we change the OS code ....is there a cable or something to change the os?

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

--------------
goin to ditch my k810i :p
Not much diff,only picture size I guess, You get flash as extra with i7500 that's it, on the downside it has a slower processor.

i m still confuse in i5700 vs i7500

none of them are future proof because of 128MB RAM

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

what about i7500 ?

can i get i7500 in mumbai ? if yes @ what price ?
Considering both have 128MB ram, which one is future proof a 528Mhz or a 800Mhz with added divx support??

That was my theory,
not that these samsung Galaxy/Spica specs are future proof, these are nothing when compared to its HTC counterparts. But you are getting much much more for the money you spend on Spica.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

If you are so concerned, then may be you should wait for Galaxy I9000
*3.ly/XCkd

OP
A

ankitsagwekar

problem solve

i will buy i5700 a) if i m not get i7500
b) or price difference is more then 1.5K

both has some advantages disadvantages

sachitgul

Journeyman

problem solve

i will buy i5700 a) if i m not get i7500
b) or price difference is more then 1.5K

both has some advantages disadvantages

dude frankly u shuld go for the i5700 for the following reasons..

1)Official Android 2.1
2)a lil better design
3)i7500 has really bad battery life
4)faster procy
5)i5700 is a lil cheaper
6)u cant make out the diff between TFT and AMOLED screen..
7)5.0mp vs 3.2mp not a big difference tho lack of flash hurts a bit..

the only advantage the i7500 is the 8gb onboard memory..

So IMO buy the i5700 and come aboard the android platform..

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Yeah I agree with the cam quality, its much better than my 5800 and a few other 3.2MP phones that I've seen, Due to lack of flash Low light pics are bad else everything is fine.

Apndroid is crashing on my phone, So I've been using Toggle Data widget, which does the same thing, switching off my GPRS.

I Don't understand what do you mean by clearing APN type for access points.

Regarding the barcode scanning, auto exposure of cam is the culprit, some times its too bright to detect barcode, what I do is close the app when its too bright and open it again, it solved the problem for me or else point the cam at bright place so that it auto adjusts to correct exposure level.

Ohhh So you faced the same problem too I guess :oops:, regarding the contact numbers showing up in "Notes".
Try this, first export your gmail contacts as .csv and check the column names, now try to name the phone number columns correctly in your old csv file and upload again, it looks something like PHONE 1 TYPE & PHONE 1 VALUE etc etc.
I did it manually since I had to merge so many email contacts with my mobile contacts. Manually means I had to edit each and every contact :oops:
Took a good 2-3 Hrs, but the end result was satisfying and from now on its a two way sync so you don't have to worry about editing them again.

the issue with the barcodes is on and off..
it doesnt seem to read barcodes of some of my books..

btw..
even i configured all my contacts manually..
took me 2 hours.. :shock:
i am yet to try of all of the numbers work properly or not..
they better work or i mite give the i5700 a 8/10..:grin:

overall experience with the phone was awesome..
i have yet to activate EDGE on my vodafone card..

also about the toogle data widget..
is my gprs off wen the widget is on (green)..
or is it the other way round..

shuld i try apndroid instead??

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent

wat abt andoid os....how can we program it to mobile(in case latest available)....is android source code available for tweking for our own use?

OP
A

ankitsagwekar

dude frankly u shuld go for the i5700 for the following reasons..

1)Official Android 2.1
2)a lil better design
3)i7500 has really bad battery life
4)faster procy
5)i5700 is a lil cheaper
6)u cant make out the diff between TFT and AMOLED screen..
7)5.0mp vs 3.2mp not a big difference tho lack of flash hurts a bit..

the only advantage the i7500 is the 8gb onboard memory..

So IMO buy the i5700 and come aboard the android platform..

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

the issue with the barcodes is on and off..
it doesnt seem to read barcodes of some of my books..

btw..
even i configured all my contacts manually..
took me 2 hours.. :shock:
i am yet to try of all of the numbers work properly or not..
they better work or i mite give the i5700 a 8/10..:grin:

overall experience with the phone was awesome..
i have yet to activate EDGE on my vodafone card..

also about the toogle data widget..
is my gprs off wen the widget is on (green)..
or is it the other way round..

shuld i try apndroid instead??

how much free RAM u r getting in spica ?

i think spica has more then 128MB RAM

did anybody in this forum try Android 2.1 ?

jain_pranav

Broken In

Im already in love wid i5700..
true value for money :D

I guess official 2.1 is not yet launched in india..

sachitgul

Journeyman

@Sriharsha..

i got some serious issues with messages in my i5700..
i cant save my messages in folders and the interface is really bland...
plus new messages by same user remain in the same message..
i knw its threaded but isn't there any way to separate em??

also i cant go to the next line while typing my messages..
i mean the enter key doesnt shw up on the keyboard..
isnt there anyway i can go to the next line (like pressing the zero button twice in nokia)

are there any tweaks to work around this??
or is there a better messaging app??

one more issue i have is that the android keyboard is really laggy and slow in landscape mode..
is it a problem with my handset or are u facing the same issue??

any other better keyboards other than the swype one??

and hw does your android market look like??
mine is black and a lil bland..
but in some youtube vidoes the marketplace looks different..
is it version specific??

here is the video..
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSRlUzUGlfo&feature=related

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

how much free RAM u r getting in spica ?

i think spica has more then 128MB RAM

did anybody in this forum try Android 2.1 ?
yeah even I feel sometimes spica has more than 128MB
anyways my phone usually shows 55-65MB free RAM, with regular background services.

@Sriharsha..

i got some serious issues with messages in my i5700..
i cant save my messages in folders and the interface is really bland...
plus new messages by same user remain in the same message..
i knw its threaded but isn't there any way to separate em??

also i cant go to the next line while typing my messages..
isnt there anyway i can go to the next line (like pressing the zero button twice in nokia)

are there any tweaks to work around this??
or is there a better messaging app??

one more issue i have is that the android keyboard is really laggy and slow in landscape mode..
is it a problem with my handset or are u facing the same issue??

any other better keyboards other than the swype one??

and hw does your android market look like??
mine is black and a lil bland..
but in some youtube vidoes the marketplace looks different..
is it version specific??

here is the video..
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSRlUzUGlfo&feature=related

Regarding the messaging interface, somehow I feel this much better since I used to backup my sms contact wise, now this approach makes it much easier for me.
Anyways you can try several messaging apps to get around that issue sachit.

Regarding the keyboard, yes it is very laggy in landscape mode, wish its sorted out in 2.1.

For now I'm using swype, took a couple of days to get used to it, but once you are at ease with it, you can type much faster than the standard keyboard.

Also do check out the preloaded samsung keyboard, keyspacing is better and good thing is that it comes with T9 and 3 configurable layouts, full qwerty, 12 keypad & 20 Keypad.

yeah android market looks black in 1.5, may be you might have seen market from other versions.

Regarding your other doubt on Toggle data widget, green means GPRS is ON, it will be greyed out while OFF. Another simple way to know this is that, once this widget grey's out, gprs indicator in notification bar vanishes, simple :)

sachitgul

Journeyman

yeah even I feel sometimes spica has more than 128MB
anyways my phone usually shows 55-65MB free RAM, with regular background services.

Regarding the messaging interface, somehow I feel this much better since I used to backup my sms contact wise, now this approach makes it much easier for me.
Anyways you can try several messaging apps to get around that issue sachit.

Regarding the keyboard, yes it is very laggy in landscape mode, wish its sorted out in 2.1.

For now I'm using swype, took a couple of days to get used to it, but once you are at ease with it, you can type much faster than the standard keyboard.

Also do check out the preloaded samsung keyboard, keyspacing is better and good thing is that it comes with T9 and 3 configurable layouts, full qwerty, 12 keypad & 20 Keypad.

yeah android market looks black in 1.5, may be you might have seen market from other versions.

Regarding your other doubt on Toggle data widget, green means GPRS is ON, it will be greyed out while OFF. Another simple way to know this is that, once this widget grey's out, gprs indicator in notification bar vanishes, simple :)

how do i look at my memory usage?/

but plz help me wid this..

"also i cant go to the next line while typing my messages..
isnt there anyway i can go to the next line (like pressing the zero button twice in nokia)"

any way to work around this??
do u face this problem??

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

damn im trying for hours now..
but still EDGE network isnt coming on my i5700..

i cancelled Vodafone live and then after restarting reactivated it..
it still doesnt come..

went to my wireless settings and selected use only 2g networks but still its not coming..

what seems to be the problem?!?!

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

how do i look at my memory usage?/

but plz help me wid this..

"also i cant go to the next line while typing my messages..
isnt there anyway i can go to the next line (like pressing the zero button twice in nokia)"

any way to work around this??
do u face this problem??

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

damn im trying for hours now..
but still EDGE network isnt coming on my i5700..

i cancelled Vodafone live and then after restarting reactivated it..
it still doesnt come..

went to my wireless settings and selected use only 2g networks but still its not coming..

what seems to be the problem?!?!
Just install any app for checking RAM usage, I use Advanced task killer and Automatic Task Killer, which show free ram in notification bar.

Regarding the edge connection, are you sure that Vodafone has EDGE network in your locality? Coz in my locality only Docomo has EDGE network, If I swap my sim with Airtel/Vodafone it automatically downgrades to GPRS showing "G" in notification bar.

Donno about that enter button in messaging app, looks like its replaced with smiley button. Why not try different sms apps like Handcent SMS, etc etc.

Regarding barcode detection, QR codes are easy to detect, regular 2D barcodes takes some time and more importantly, you shouldn't hold phone too near to scan it, try scanning the code from a longer distance. It's more accurate and fast that way.

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

What exactly is this thing??
*img641.imageshack.us/img641/4800/gsmarena025.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

is that the internal antenna??

sachitgul

Journeyman

Just install any app for checking RAM usage, I use Advanced task killer and Automatic Task Killer, which show free ram in notification bar.

Regarding the edge connection, are you sure that Vodafone has EDGE network in your locality? Coz in my locality only Docomo has EDGE network, If I swap my sim with Airtel/Vodafone it automatically downgrades to GPRS showing "G" in notification bar.

Donno about that enter button in messaging app, looks like its replaced with smiley button. Why not try different sms apps like Handcent SMS, etc etc.

Regarding barcode detection, QR codes are easy to detect, regular 2D barcodes takes some time and more importantly, you shouldn't hold phone too near to scan it, try scanning the code from a longer distance. It's more accurate and fast that way.

yes IMO EDGE is there in mumbai..

the problem is neither EDGE nor GPRS is coming..
when i messaged vodafone they say vodafone live! is active...

but when i visit the browser ntn happens..!

:(

OP
A

ankitsagwekar

yes IMO EDGE is there in mumbai..

the problem is neither EDGE nor GPRS is coming..
when i messaged vodafone they say vodafone live! is active...

but when i visit the browser ntn happens..!

EDGE ? LOL

it's like drive farari on indian road

go for MTNL 3G or wifi

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

EDGE ? LOL

go for MTNL 3G or wifi
Firstly wifi is not possible on the move and secondly 3G data plans are costly, So going for a 48 or 98 monthly GPRS plans make much sense, nothing lo lol about ;)

Its Ferrari :)) not farari :p
I guess there are numerous Ferrari's driven in Mumbai too, Ratan Tata's California, Sachin's 360(which was unfortunately stolen yesterday)
Since Ferrari's are driven on Indian Roads, why not use EDGE according to your theory :p
Just Kidding

Last edited:

sachitgul

Journeyman

EDGE ? LOL

go for MTNL 3G or wifi

dude its more like Lungurghini on indian roads..

xD
:grin:

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

on a more serious note..

hw do i resolve my EDGE ka issues???!

damn..
is this ever going to work..
i have tried everything..

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent

dude its more like Lungurghini on indian roads..

xD
:grin:

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

on a more serious note..

hw do i resolve my EDGE ka issues???!

damn..
is this ever going to work..
i have tried everything..

lol Lungurghini:))
here's one from my side
Hayachoosa on Indian Roads :p

Sachit regarding your Vodafone EDGE connection problem, found this on TE, this kinda looked similar to your problem check it out
*3.ly/VDPf

Top Bottom