Official Digit CTC IV discussion thread - Last leg starts 6th Oct 2012

Should we delay the final leg by two weeks?

• No I can't wait that long...

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Yes, because I have exams

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Yes, because I want the last leg to be really long and hard

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Yes, only if you give 2 more checkpoints in between

Votes: 18 13.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

criztle

Advocate | Lawyer
can anyone tell me what the last date of contest as i have exam nxt week so will i be a able to play the ctc or not

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Hi Raabo.

This might be a little uncalled for but I just wanted to mention a few reasons why I think digit goofed up a bit with this CTC:

1. Why wasn't this contest started during the summer when most of the people were free? At this point of time, many people here have their tests/exams. Most of the digit readers are students, you should have kept that in mind. I myself may not be able to join in from the next checkpoint because of this.

2. You made it too dependent on stuff not everyone is likely to have. Optical drive is going extinct, digit as a technology magazine should be aware of that. A minority no longer owns it. I myself was using my uncle's macbook air so it was a huge PITA to go further with the clues. Add to that the software in one of the clues was windows only, great! You're forgetting the minority here.

3. You should have included the clue pages from the magazine online (in some way which was not direct), this contest being hosted online. Same goes for the dvd. It was a bit hypocritical after seeing the magazine's topic. This one wasn't much of an issue though, since this trend was followed with the previous CTCs and it was obvious.

And I was excited of getting a chance to win a console :(.

/rant

As for the timing, maybe the CTC will get those brain cells moving and help improve everyone's marks. Though with so many new boards and foreign affiliates with weird testing timings, every month has some exam or the other these days, so there never seems to be a right time.

For point 2 and 3, this IS a digit contest, held mainly for our readers, and 99% of our readers buy the full magazine pack - including the FT and DVDs. That said, we've not stopped anyone from participating, and if people who don't buy the magazine have to run around asking for help from those who do, that seems fair, doesn't it? We've not tried to stop our readers from uploading the content for those who do not buy the mag, but us giving you everything online would be akin to NOT caring about our customers.

Do people who buy the magazine have an edge over those who don't? Yes! By design, and has always been that way for CTC.

As for MAC users, my apologies, but we took into account everyone on Windows and Linux (r4gs ensured the software would run on wine), but if we had to ensure that all CTC clues were "all OS" compliant, it'd be a nightmare.

The reason CTC has so many facets and makes people think of out of the box solutions is to expose them to more technologies, ways of thinking, and encourages participants to get their hands dirty, go beyond what's visible or obvious, and think - now don't start a flame war, lol - but the Apple philosophy seems to differ there, keeping everything closed and simple and seamless with no thinking required. Also it's such a minuscule minority amongst our readers, that I'll admit, we don't consider it often.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
can anyone tell me what the last date of contest as i have exam nxt week so will i be a able to play the ctc or not

When do most exams get over? Post and reply and maybe we can consider extending the checkpoints into mid October, if that's not worse. Otherwise the final leg is supposed to start on the 21st.

XxNiKxX

G33K
My last exam is one 4th October. And if you just postpone the starting of Chk4 to just one day afterwards it would be great! :)

Bornsleepy

Right off the assembly line
Can someone help me with the QR KINDA THINGY? Used IrfanView and found a bunch of words. Can't make any sense out of it.

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
Guys...
We are probably missing something....atleast the most of us...

Talking about the most...

We have skipped to jabberwocky one...but that onwards one has a clue...

Acc to me what i have answered to the higher calling one is the answer to the foss one...

The ones who are not getting the sequence...coorporate to get into a sequence!!

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Guys...
We are probably missing something....atleast the most of us...

Talking about the most...

We have skipped to jabberwocky one...but that onwards one has a clue...

Acc to me what i have answered to the higher calling one is the answer to the foss one...

The ones who are not getting the sequence...coorporate to get into a sequence!!
i don't think most have just skipped to the jabberwocky.

and higher calling and foss is related, but they don't have the same answer..

techbulb

eUREKA...
hey i think i took the shortcut to reach check 3 so i am starting from from jabberwarcky again i got that it has a u and oa difference and i got 261 when convert to ascii values now wat do i do with it and i also got that omega alpha is a line from the revelations help someone please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom